More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 00:04:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Formal Clothes for toddlers
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Formal Clothes for toddlers  (Read 7584 times)
Cappuccino
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Formal Clothes for toddlers
« on: 2008 September 04, 23:34:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is kinda random, but while I was checking out some hair/clothes in CAS, I noticed this:

There's only one formal outfit for male toddlers (the New Year one) and yet this little boy decides to try on a beautiful dress instead.

Any idea why this is happening? It has something to do with the female toddler clothing, because when I switched this boy to a girl, her chosen formal outfit was the same dress, and when I changed her dress to the pink one and then turned her into a little boy again, he also wore the pink dress too. Are toddlers ever forced into formalwear anyway?

Dive in!
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
Re: Formal Clothes for toddlers
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 05, 00:02:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*backs slowly away from the scary toddler in drag*

The only situation for which I can picture a toddler actually being game-forced into formal wear would be a wedding. And for that to happen, he'd have to be invited to the shindig in order to arrive formally attired. And yikes, I can't even imagine the lack of fun those logistics would be.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Cappuccino
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 05, 00:14:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*backs slowly away from the scary toddler in drag*

Tell me about it! When I saw that I was like "err... I was making a boy, right?" I guess it all comes down to male and female toddlers being totally similar to each other when it comes to hair-meshes and body-meshes too. If you don't dress them appropriately, you won't be able to tell which gender they are.

Dive in!
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 05, 00:17:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doubtless, it's all a deep, philosophical comment on sim gender roles and conditioning. Or something. Wink

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Yaakovashoshana
Blathering Buffoon

Renaissance Cowgirl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 05, 00:27:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always thought it was a little strange that the pink and blue toddler tuxedos were classified as everyday wear . . . and available for both male and female.

ISTJ - "Trustee". Decisiveness in practical affairs. Guardian of time- honored institutions. Dependable.
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 05, 01:48:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

in the "good old days", boys were often dressed in dresses for formal occasions. Especially baby and toddler boys.

also, this was an interesting read
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 05, 09:38:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think toddlers can be invited to a wedding so that method wouldn't work to access the formal clothes.  Those dresses (Maxis) are categorised for toddlers in formal and everyday. 

However, Phanoah, over at MTS2, has a mod that recategorises more of the toddler clothes to be formal (actually it's a mod to recategorise everything) and she's working on a way, she says, to make it an option on the changing table.  She's put the tuxedos in there and for boys only.  You can also categorise for that with Wardrobe Wrangler. 

This is not much use in ordinary circumstances obviously.  However, there is one way in which it could be used and that is to use Inge's formal dress sign.  I run weddings as parties but then use Inge's cat to summon any missing sims and toddlers.  The sign will change everyone into formal instantly.  I use it because letting the game do it when the vows are made sometimes causes problems and/or lag (less of a problem on my new rig).  It's bad enough that you can't stop the couple changing into the boring Maxis wedding outfit: "Look EAxis, I put her into that fancy frock for a reason."  Sigh.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Pandaah
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 05, 18:37:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's bad enough that you can't stop the couple changing into the boring Maxis wedding outfit: "Look EAxis, I put her into that fancy frock for a reason."  Sigh.

But you can if you have at least OfB or TwoJeffs mod!
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 05, 23:58:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But you can if you have at least OfB or TwoJeffs mod!

It got borked again with a later EP - I can't say if it's corrected with AL but it wasn't right for me with FT.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Yaakovashoshana
Blathering Buffoon

Renaissance Cowgirl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 06, 00:14:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

in the "good old days", boys were often dressed in dresses for formal occasions. Especially baby and toddler boys.

Very interesting pictures and link, Nekonoai. I was aware of the practice of dressing infant and toddler boys in dresses. As a matter of fact, I am in possession of my great grandmother's photo album which contains pictures of a similar vintage to the ones you so kindly shared. It shows a veritable parade of my male ancestors dressed in positively frilly frocks. And the same people who put little boys in dresses would have had a coronary at the thought of putting a little girl in slacks. Horrors! That was in direct violation of Biblical injunction. They'd have sooner let a female child run around nekkid! (Southern word . . . as the inimitable Lewis Grizzard observed, "Naked means you ain't got no clothes on . . . Nekkid means you ain't got no clothes on and you're up to something!")

ISTJ - "Trustee". Decisiveness in practical affairs. Guardian of time- honored institutions. Dependable.
Pandaah
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 06, 21:33:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It got borked again with a later EP - I can't say if it's corrected with AL but it wasn't right for me with FT.

In my game they still change to formal wear and TwoJeff listed his mod as obsolete but I don't have IKEA or AL. Maybe tight pants?
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 07, 11:55:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my game they still change to formal wear and TwoJeff listed his mod as obsolete but I don't have IKEA or AL.  Maybe tight pants?

It was obsolete with OFB or thereabouts.  They are supposed to change into formal but one of the later EPs has them back in the Maxis originals.  Not tight pants - borkiness.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 07, 17:14:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm guessing that outfits are for toddlers in general and just disabled for certain genders? Seeing as there's only one formal outfit, it somehow screwed up?
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 07, 20:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is weird, I didn't even know you could select formalwear for toddlers. Is it functionality with a particular EP? I have all except AL and BV, and no stuff packs (Could they have come with CS?)

Also I wasn't aware toddlers could ever leave their home lot without cheating or hacks, meaning there is no way a toddler could come to a wedding, unless it was in their own home, in which case they would probably ignore it anyway and carry on playing.

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
Cappuccino
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 07, 21:27:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

^ The outfit in the picture (not the dress that the toddler actually wears, but the one in the catalog) came with Happy Holiday stuff, it's the outfit worn by the New Year baby/toddler. Then 2 dresses for little girls were added as formalwear in Free Time.

Dive in!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: