More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 23:38:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Changing files in the patch
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Changing files in the patch  (Read 5593 times)
honey_bunny
Asinine Airhead

Keeper of Sim Animals

View Profile
Changing files in the patch
« on: 2010 January 10, 21:29:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am fairly new here and have enjoyed visiting this site on numerous occasions so I'm sure no one knows me. I just have an idea that I would like to share about the anti-piracy part in the latest patch. I was wondering if it is possible to look into the patch itself, you know, where all the coding is, and try to change where it stops us from using "shared" store items. I know there are PLENTY of talented people on this site but I just wanted to know if there was a way to do this or if it's too far advanced to even attempt. This is not a request; only an idea, in the event that it has never come up. Just thought this method would be a little simpler if it only requires one line in the programming to be changed, you know? And anytime there is a new patch, you could go in and change that same line and we just download it from here...just like with AwesomeMod. Just a thought though...nothing to fight over at all. Just me being...thoughtful and thinking of others at the same time. Smiley
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
Re: Changing files in the patch
« Reply #1 on: 2010 January 10, 23:09:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You really think it's possible no one has ever thought of it before?  If that's the case, my opinion of Pescado and his modding genius just bottomed out. Tongue  

Honestly, the fact that it hasn't happened is proof that it's impractical, regardless of how easy it might seem.
honey_bunny
Asinine Airhead

Keeper of Sim Animals

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 January 10, 23:15:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You really think it's possible no one has ever thought of it before?  If that's the case, my opinion of Pescado and his modding genius just bottomed out. Tongue  

Honestly, the fact that it hasn't happened is proof that it's impractical, regardless of how easy it might seem.

I wasn't saying it was easy...I was wondering if it was possible. That is all. I have been reading these forums for a while now and haven't seen anything suggesting. I know there are very intelligent people here and I was trying to see if it was possible or impossible. Nothing more...nothing less.
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 January 11, 00:30:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The idea is easy, hon. I don't know about the process, but the nature of the suggestion in itself is very basic. Changing lines of programming is what modding does.  If a patch changes something, common sense says to go in and fix it back.  I don't know if it's possible to open the patch itself, but I'm sure Pescado knows and if it's possible, he's already done it.  This is directed at this comment from your first post "This is not a request; only an idea, in the event that it has never come up. "

honey_bunny
Asinine Airhead

Keeper of Sim Animals

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 January 11, 03:38:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay...I understand. I thought about something else after I read your first post. Since the store items is normally installed through the launcher, is there a way to convert their sim3pack files into .package files so that it won't have to go through any anti-piracy formulas? I know people have been converting .package files into sim3pack files but I'm asking ONLY for store stuff. I don't like how it slows my computer down just loading but I have learned to live with it from TS2 so to keep us "sharing", I'm saying that I am willing to sacrifice the time for the stuff. Once again...a thought from me that has probably been thought of by the brains of this site. Smiley
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 January 11, 05:14:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Off the top of my head, I dunno.  I haven't played TS3 since before create-a-world was released and probably won't again until all the chaos from EA's tampering has settled down. I've glossed over threads about converting packs and similar, but I don't remember exactly what they were describing since they weren't relevant to me at the time.  What you're asking about might be possible.  I would check here as well as the relevant store threads in puddingland. Use the search box if you can't find an answer just from browsing.  One thing that's really frowned on here is asking a question that has been answered multiple times before, so if you don't want to get sporked, make sure you've done your research. Cheesy
GnatGoSplat
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 January 11, 16:31:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The change is in TS3EP01.exe for WA or TS3.exe for base game.  It's entirely possible to modify an exe file, but since the original C++ source code isn't available, the only other option is to disassemble the exe file into assembly language.  Assembly language isn't easily human-readable.  To be able to understand it and code with it, you'd have to be a nerd of astronomical proportions.
honey_bunny
Asinine Airhead

Keeper of Sim Animals

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 January 11, 22:59:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've done research to keep from asking the same question over and over and I haven't seen anything like what I'm asking. I do not want to be sporked so I do google lol. But thanks for replying to my thoughts Cheesy
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 January 11, 23:09:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well you did not get very far.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17746.0.html

Anach's method, if followed exactly, will work for installing store content acquired through whatever means, in .package form.  Read the thread, follow the directions, download the appropriate tools from the links given.
honey_bunny
Asinine Airhead

Keeper of Sim Animals

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 January 12, 05:16:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well you did not get very far.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17746.0.html

Anach's method, if followed exactly, will work for installing store content acquired through whatever means, in .package form.  Read the thread, follow the directions, download the appropriate tools from the links given.

Thanks. It's not quite what I had in mind but it seems simple enough. Just hoping I don't run into any issues while attempting but what's a little trial and error? It is how I learned to deal with TS2. I appreciate the help.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: