More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 23:48:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  In which order does the game load hacks?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: In which order does the game load hacks?  (Read 6395 times)
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
In which order does the game load hacks?
« on: 2006 April 29, 11:23:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi there, just a quick question for those that know more than me.

In which order does the game load hacks?
See, I am asking because i have JM´s MATY collection, but i also have a folder named Pescado with some of his hacks in, which i keep up to date as much as possible. Do the game load them by alphabetical sorting, and by folders, or is it only alphabetical sorted? Or not sorted at all?

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: In which order does the game load hacks?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 29, 11:52:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And this would be why you have Stupid Ness Syndrome. Don't keep multiple copies of the same thing.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 29, 11:54:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sir Yes Sir! Wink

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 29, 12:34:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL, "Stupid Ness Syndrome". Cyperangel, see http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?s=f4d151eb51f98dc0abe6ebfc453ffe57&p=1157211#post1157211 if you still would like to know more.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 29, 13:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting link Curious.

cyperangel: why not keep the folder of hacks you like to keep updated on your desktop? (Cos I assume you need an aide memoire to keep track of them) then you can just copy the folder's contents to the TS2 downloads/maty/ subfolder whenever you update one of them. That way you'll simply overwrite older versions in the game accessible folder Roll Eyes

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 29, 13:30:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I got that link from jase actually, in TJ's School Bus & Bring Friend Home Dialogs thread. Never knew about the "Windows 9x/ME and/or have a FAT32 file system" stuffs either until he said so.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 29, 13:39:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

woot!  There is a syndrome named after me!

Seriously, I have discovered (the hard way) that having different versions of different hacks in different places is a VERY BAD THING!!

Don't do it!

cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 29, 13:48:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting link Curious.

cyperangel: why not keep the folder of hacks you like to keep updated on your desktop? (Cos I assume you need an aide memoire to keep track of them) then you can just copy the folder's contents to the TS2 downloads/maty/ subfolder whenever you update one of them. That way you'll simply overwrite older versions in the game accessible folder Roll Eyes
I actually have whole directory system located on my D drive where i keep everything i have ever downloaded in the original zip files, this includes JM's hacks.

The reason i got myself in to the Ness Syndrome trouble, was that i found out that there were hacks in the directors cut, that i could not find anywhere else, so i downloaded that, and stuffed it into my OFB compatible hacks folder. I then happily forgot about it,a nd proceeded to keep my Pescado hacks up to date from the regular download area. I sort of figured, that if the Moreawesomethanyou folder got loaded first, the updated hacks that were in the Pescado folder would be loaded later, and thus overwrite the older version in the game.

After order from the boss, i have now gone through MATY DC and yanked anything out i had a newer version off in my pescado folder, so i now have only one pescado hack folder, which is as up to date as i can keep it.

Anyways, the link i g ot here, told me that my assumption was correct, but seing as how i was still suffering from problems with the skillinator, my late cleanup will probably be a good thing anyways.

Now my only problem is to find the RTFM´s for all the hacks that were in the DC version, and not in the regular downloads, seing as how our mroe awesome chief dont believe in RTFMs in the DC compilation.

Don't do it!

I wont. At least not anymore Smiley

C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 29, 13:52:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had episodes worse than the ness-syndrome where I had different versions of the same hacks in the same place because they were sometimes named differently. Cheesy Tongue
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 29, 13:53:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's actually reasonably common for some of his hacks that are only released as part of the DC to not have an RTFM anywhere.  You may get lucky enough to find mention of what it does in the DC thread, though.

and if the threads here aren't enough incentive for people to check thoroughly for stupid Ness syndrome - let me just say that what was said here was mild compared to what was said and done in chat at the time.

That and the fact that the symptoms of stupid Ness syndrome also include extreme joint pain, insomnia and blinding headaches.
« Last Edit: 2006 April 29, 14:02:29 by ness » Logged
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 29, 13:55:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had episodes worse than the ness-syndrome where I had different versions of the same hacks in the same place because they were sometimes named differently. Cheesy Tongue

I've had that occur with some other modders - if they change the name of the file to reflect the update...  But Pescadoian hacks tend to be named the same regardless of the version (makes updating easier!)
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 April 29, 15:06:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The trouble with the RTFMs is that he names them all the same thing. Tongue My subfolder for Pescado's hacks has a subfolder in it for each hack, so that everything that has an RTFM can have the RTFM with it. (The subfolder is named the same thing as the hack itself, so I can still easily see what I have.)

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 April 29, 15:11:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, Pescado has hired me to write his RTFM's, so I will take that into consideration as I go through the list.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 April 29, 15:40:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had that occur with some other modders - if they change the name of the file to reflect the update...  But Pescadoian hacks tend to be named the same regardless of the version (makes updating easier!)
I don't change the name on the hack itself, often retaining the legacy name even after the hack has ceased to include that feature, because it makes for easier drag-and-drop updating.

Also because I tend to hack things "hot", meaning the old version is wiped out in the process of making it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 April 29, 18:57:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, Pescado has hired me to write his RTFM's, so I will take that into consideration as I go through the list.
He "hired" you?  Or you volunteered?  Wink  Somehow I don't see Pescado actually paying anyone to do stuff.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 April 29, 19:20:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use "hire" as a loose term.  I got volunteered, but I actually don't mind.  Tongue
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 April 29, 19:58:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use "hire" as a loose term.  I got volunteered, but I actually don't mind.  Tongue
I thought so...I just couldn't resist commenting on Pescado actually paying anyone.  Cheesy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: