More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 21, 23:02:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Smart Milk and the college years
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Smart Milk and the college years  (Read 14393 times)
Vesca
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Smart Milk and the college years
« on: 2005 October 01, 19:21:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always knew smart milk was good for the toddlers, but I found this very interesting.  One of my YAs (totally raised on smart milk) and his townie roommate (of course, not raised on smart milk) are doing their term paper.  The townie starts his term paper before my YA does, buy my YA finishes first.  Same thing with the college assignments.  The townie starts his assignment first, buy my YA still finish his assignment before the townie does.  I did this experiment throughout their college years and it's always the same result.  Also, when the YA studies to gain a skill point, he studies at a faster rate than the townie does.

Is this something everyone already knows about and I'm just an idiot?  I've never paid attention to smart milk beyond the toddler years.  This event just happened to catch my attention.
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
Re: Smart Milk and the college years
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 01, 19:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does the townie have a memory "learned to study"?

Try raising a non-townie and never teach tnm to study.

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 01, 20:09:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does the townie have a memory "learned to study"?

That's a more likely explanation than smart milk, I think. Especially if they cloned assignments off of homework. Don't know quite what the explanation for the skilling is, but perhaps something related to commskilling?
Xav
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 01, 20:36:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess it's that bug or maybe you can call it a "feature" since it's still there in NL. I think JM said something about it before, that there's a chance that the smart milk effect stays with the sim their whole lives.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 01, 20:45:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "stuck smart milk bug" is probably what is responsible for this.  You're lucky that your YA was able to keep it this long.   I had never heard of smart milk helping out in college, but I guess it's possible.  Sims with the stuck smart milk will learn at a faster rate until they are reset by an error or by use of the thinking cap.  This is what JM says, and I have observed it on my own.  The baby controller has an option to test IQ, and normally a sim will have 100 IQ.  When under the influence of Smart milk, they have 300.  A sim wearing a thinking cap has 200.  Various career reward objects have advanced learning rates as well.  I've had sims who were able to retain their "smartness" through the teen years after maxing out all their skills.  I didn't pay any attention to it after that because I figured it didn't matter any more.  Sims are usually reset after installing an EP anyway, and Maxoid Tom said this was going to be "fixed" in the patch (as well as the bug with being able to teach potty training by canceling the parent's teach icon at the right moment.)  This is one bug I wish they wouldn't fix!  But I guess it made it too easy anyway.  WIth diligent use of the Skillinator, it is still possible to max out a sim's skills before they are halfway through teens even without the smart milk bug.
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 01, 21:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

mmm, in that case every single one of my sims in the history of ever must have had stuck smart milk. Which can't be since they all take to the thinking cap as teens which would have unstuck it before uni.

I've replicated this situation time and time again.  If I direct one of my born-in-game sims to start an assignment at the same time as a townie, the sim I raised will always, always finish first. If I have large groups that are a mixture of my sims & townies doing assignments in unison (which happens often), all my born-in-games finish first.

I'm sure it's the learn to study thing.

As for the skill learning, playful/serious comes into play too, so who knows.
« Last Edit: 2005 October 01, 21:27:17 by oyyo » Logged
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 01, 22:29:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed the speed at which born in game sims complete assignments and term papers is different to the CAS young adults, and townies - I always put it down to being taught to study...

although, I think the smart milk is still sticking with nightlife - I had one teen who qualified for every single skill scholarship by the time he had been a teen for three days!  he didn't have the max all skills LTW, so I ended up leaving him at 8 in each and sending him to uni early...  didn't notice anything with the speed of completing assignments and such there, I had him by himself.

Ness
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 01, 22:32:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently if they learn to study, they will complete assignments quicker.  I haven't had a Sim yet whose IQ tested at more than 100 once they reached teens, even when they had smart milk.  They do all study faster than the dormies, though. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 01, 23:11:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading once J.M. saying smart milk gets unstuck by moving out. So it wouldn't still be in effect in uni anyway.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 01, 23:30:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it is the learn to study thing then.  I remember when I first got Uni, I had one of my sims help the cheerleader with her assignment for simoleans, and she had the Learn to study books over her head when they finished.  I looked in her memories with the mind control mirror, and sure enough, she had the memory of being taught to study by my sim.
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 01, 23:32:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to try that, montier a dormie doing an assignment then tutor them and then see if they do their assignments faster after that.
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 02, 07:59:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was playing Beau Broke and remembering how fast he learned and wishing they hadn't fixed that bug but he still learns really quick.  He is at scholarship level in every subject and he is one day from being a teen.  Either the bug isn't fixed or he has a learning personality.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 02, 18:49:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was playing Beau Broke and remembering how fast he learned and wishing they hadn't fixed that bug but he still learns really quick.  He is at scholarship level in every subject and he is one day from being a teen.  Either the bug isn't fixed or he has a learning personality.
If you installed Nightlife, it probably isn't the smart milk bug since sims get reset when installing an EP.  To know for sure, you can download Pescado's baby controller, click on it with him selected, and click Test IQ.  If it says 100, then he's normal with no smart milk effect.  I suspect he is.  Other than that, sims all learn at basically the same rate, other than personality having an effect on learning certain skills faster.
Vesca
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 03, 00:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't expect such a wide variety of opinions when I posted this, just an answer, but I do appreciate all of your responses, I really do.  I must admit I am a bit more confused now than when I posted because of the differing responses I got - I have the smart milk bug, I don't have the smart bug, learn-to-study and comskilling are playing a part in YA's ability to progress through college, personality plays a part in their ability to study.  These all sound very valid to me, but no mention of the smart milk carrying over beyond the toddler years, other than it being a bug, which I was a little disappointed to hear about.
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 06, 05:44:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you installed Nightlife, it probably isn't the smart milk bug since sims get reset when installing an EP.  To know for sure, you can download Pescado's baby controller, click on it with him selected, and click Test IQ.  If it says 100, then he's normal with no smart milk effect.  I suspect he is.  Other than that, sims all learn at basically the same rate, other than personality having an effect on learning certain skills faster.
  I started over fresh when I installed NL--Beau was already dead in my old game.  The info about the baby controller was interesting--I didn't know it had the ability to test IQ's.  Installing now.  That should be interesting.  Is there an IQ for a really stupid sim.  I have a couple of them.  But it probably only tests babys.
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 06, 05:52:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there an IQ for a really stupid sim.  I have a couple of them.  But it probably only tests babys.

It's able to tell you the IQ of any Sim, it wouldn't really matter with babies because they can't drink smart milk yet. I think the lowest IQ is 100, which is without stuck smart milk and without a thinking cap. 200 is a normal Sim with a thinking cap on and 300 are those genius Sims with stuck smart milk. Most Sims act like their IQ is about 30, but 100 is the lowest they can go.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 06, 12:57:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for the skill learning, playful/serious comes into play too, so who knows.

It's not just playfulness/seriousness that affects skill gaining. They only affect creativity and logic, respectively, while neat sims learn cleaning skill faster, active sims learn body skill faster and outgoing ones learn charisma points at a faster rate. Personality points have nothing to do with learning mechanical or cooking, though.
« Last Edit: 2005 October 06, 17:02:34 by IgnorantBliss » Logged

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 06, 15:42:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I initially thought it was because of personality differences, until I had clone twins in my Legacy family and one kid very obviously learned faster than the other one.  As toddlers, both had smart milk (unknown if they had equal amounts), and had transistioned to kids without the smart milk glow.  Then I suspected (don't laugh) being read to by parents.  My Prosperity CAS toddlers have all been read to, but only one kid could afford smart milk.  Yes, she's WAY faster in everything, even as a teen (with the thinking cap).  I will test her in college with her CAS/toddler peers.  It should be interesting to see the results.  I should probably also mention that I have Nightlife.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 October 06, 19:09:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not just playfulness/seriousness that affects skill gaining. They only affect creativity and logic, respectively, while neat sims learn cleaning skill faster, active sims learn body skill faster and outgoing ones learn charisma points at a faster rate. Personality points have nothing to do with learning mechanical or cooking, though.

Oh, my goodness! There I was in my email challenge, thinking, "am I crazy or is it taking them forever to rack up the cleaning points with the scanner." After they had been so quick to get body and charisma points. Of course it did, they are all 0 neat and 10 outgoing.

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 October 07, 05:10:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I initially thought it was because of personality differences, until I had clone twins in my Legacy family and one kid very obviously learned faster than the other one.  As toddlers, both had smart milk (unknown if they had equal amounts), and had transistioned to kids without the smart milk glow.  Then I suspected (don't laugh) being read to by parents.

I had the same experience.  My Legacy founder had twins, and one had the fast learning skill, the other didn't.  They both got smart milk, but only one had been read to, so I suspected reading to a child might make a difference (it does in real life Smiley ).

Now that we can test their IQs we might be able to compile some more useful data.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 October 07, 05:43:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Smart Milk stickiness appears to take effect the moment a toddler drinks a smart milk, consistently. It remains in effect until one of the following happens:

1. The sim is reinstanced due to transport to a community lot(temporary), moving in, or being deleted.
2. The toddler is bathed.
3. You install a patch or expansion pack which causes a large-scale reset.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 October 07, 13:32:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Smart Milk stickiness appears to take effect the moment a toddler drinks a smart milk, consistently. It remains in effect until one of the following happens:

1. The sim is reinstanced due to transport to a community lot(temporary), moving in, or being deleted.

So, does this mean that bathing reduces your IQ down to 1/3?   Shocked

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 October 09, 23:17:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, does this mean that bathing reduces your IQ down to 1/3?   Shocked
It resets the sim's IQ to its baseline, which is 100.  Smart milk and the the thinking cap only boost your sims IQ or rate of learning temporarily, except that when your sim gets stuck on smart milk, they continue learning faster until one of the things happens that JM mentioned above.  Then they are normal again.
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 October 09, 23:25:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a bit confused by the "temporary" part in #1, "The sim is reinstanced due to transport to a community lot(temporary)...". The temporary here refers to temporarily losing the smartmilk stickiness or losing it for good just because they were on a community lot temporarily?
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 October 10, 03:34:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a bit confused by the "temporary" part in #1, "The sim is reinstanced due to transport to a community lot(temporary)...". The temporary here refers to temporarily losing the smartmilk stickiness or losing it for good just because they were on a community lot temporarily?
Check out this thread:  "Maxing out sims skills" http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=75.msg1008#msg1008

The whole thread is good, but this part applies to your question:
Quote from: Pescado
Actually, in the teen stage, you don't need the thinking cap ever if your smart milk stuck during toddlerhood. You will remain smarted even unto teen: In fact, it will last forever until you move out or delete your sim. Note that you will temporarily lose this ability if you go to a community lot (your sim is reinstanced there), but it will resume when your sim returns home. However, if you delete your sim at home and force him to respawn by the mailbox, he will lose it. The bottom line being that thinking caps are no longer necessary at all, and if you wear a thinking cap, you will not gain a cumulative bonus, you will simply lose your smart milk stuckiness and actually learn slower.

The Skillinator autodetects this and bypasses thinking cappage if it is unnecessary.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: