More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 21, 13:51:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Safe to rename?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Safe to rename?  (Read 3098 times)
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Safe to rename?
« on: 2005 November 18, 08:14:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering, is it safe to rename downloads?

I have a zillion makeup/hair/clothes etc downloaded, and many of them look like this: 203857283493_redlipstick.package

Would it be okay to rename it? Say, Sallyredlipstick.package?

Also, what is safe to go in subfolders and what has to stay out in the main downloads folder? And how many subsubfolders can be in a subfolder? Would it work to, say, have a furniture folder in the main download folder, then a WDS folder in furniture, then a Ducky Bathroom folder in the furniture one?

Thanks in advance!
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
Re: Safe to rename?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 18, 09:01:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Generally it's safe to rename package files. With some older object packages (I don't know exactly how old) renaming was a problem, but not with the newer ones. All Bodyshop packages should be ok to rename. I always rename my own Bodyshop and Homecrafter files to remove that long hash number and replace it with my normal file names.

If you have Nightlife installed, all of your downloads can go into subfolders. If not, all the clothing, make-up and genetics packages have to stay in the main folder (but new meshes of clothing and hair can go into subfolders, if I'm not mistaken).

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 18, 09:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are not mistaken. Much to my relief. Now I can let my organization obsession run wild again...

INTJ
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 18, 15:23:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Last thing I heard, you could only have folders two-deep.  So, you could have the Downloads folder, then objects, then furniture.  Or whatever.

Has it changed with Nightlife?
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 19, 06:53:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If two-deep was a limit before, then it's changed with Nightlife. I've gone four-deep so far, with no problems. That's four subfolders beyond \Downloads, i.e.:
\Downloads\subfolder\another_subfolder\yet_another_subfolder\omg_another_subfolder\file.package

I read somewhere ~ can't remember where ~ from an actual Maxoid that there is currently no limit on how far you can take subfolders. Whether that applied only to Nightlife, I don't recall.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 19, 23:28:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oooh, that's great.  Since my reinstall, I am re-downloading stuff, and I would love to be able to be even more anal about my organization than before!
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 20, 02:48:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If two-deep was a limit before, then it's changed with Nightlife. I've gone four-deep so far, with no problems. That's four subfolders beyond \Downloads, i.e.:
\Downloads\subfolder\another_subfolder\yet_another_subfolder\omg_another_subfolder\file.package

I read somewhere ~ can't remember where ~ from an actual Maxoid that there is currently no limit on how far you can take subfolders. Whether that applied only to Nightlife, I don't recall.

I have stuff 5 subfolders deep and it all still works.

MaxoidTom's post http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=558.msg22151#msg22151

Fail.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: