More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 21, 10:55:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Didn't think it was possible to bork this much!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Didn't think it was possible to bork this much!  (Read 6063 times)
dwightsciple
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Didn't think it was possible to bork this much!
« on: 2009 January 09, 22:14:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game has been crashing everytime I enter any lot.  I removed recent suspicious dl's but that didn't help.  I decided to move my entire dl folder to another place for safe-keeping so that I could test my game vanilla.  Problem is, I can't get the files to move.  I have tried to copy and paste to various places, like the desktop, and also to an external 250gig hd.  Here's where you get to stomp all over me--I have 51,000 cc pkg files (12 gig).  Is there some way to move my files?  Is there a dl limit for TS2?  I don't want to simply kiss those files goodbye forever.  I have worked hard for 4yrs to accumulate them.  There's no solution, is there?

The nuts and bolts of moving problems:  I get various error msgs when I am trying to do the move, and as soon as I respond to the msg, the move shuts down.

Thanks for reading, and make fun of me if you must.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Didn't think it was possible to bork this much!
« Reply #1 on: 2009 January 09, 22:25:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you trying to move them in one chunk? That's a large amount to move at once. I know my system, which is hardly a lightweight, tends to freak out (see: slow down, stall) if I move more than a gig at a time. Try incremental moves.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

INTP/J: Bork!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2009 January 09, 22:27:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also: "I get an error message" = not helpful. "I get an error message, and this is what it says" = helpful.

dwightsciple
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 January 10, 02:25:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks.  The error msg says "[insert file name here] can't be recreated."  And, I will try much smaller increments for moving.
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 January 10, 06:14:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's where you get to stomp all over me--I have 51,000 cc pkg files (12 gig). 
Wowie. Twice as much as me. Congratulations.  Wink

My game has been crashing everytime I enter any lot. 

And ooo-- this sounds familiar. This is where my game will usually crash, too. I can hardly ever download other people's lots because they inevitably crash my game, except for a few blessed ones from Witch and Emma. I suspect it is some sort of timing out, but that is just speculation on my part.

It seems to me you probably have the same problem I do. Most of those downloads are being used. My neighbourhood has probably-- frig-- 250 user-created Sims using custom cc, and my lots are built without maxis objects-- I would have to ditch the neighbourhood and start anew if I changed my download configuration. My neighbourhood spans an entire fantasy world with eclectic cultures all needing that different cc. I'm thinking I'll be playing Sims 2 again when I make a better, more awesome computer. By then, everyone else will be playing Sims 4.  Grin

Thanks.  The error msg says "[insert file name here] can't be recreated."  And, I will try much smaller increments for moving.
This suggests that you have a lot of files in a single folder. If you haven't already, subfolder and move chunks slowly.
dwightsciple
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 January 10, 08:29:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks again.  And Kazzandra, I am glad someone understands building and decorating with all CC and no Maxis.

Gail
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 January 10, 13:40:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't forget, if all you want to do is test a vanilla game, you can rename your 'My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2' folder to something else, then start the game. This will generate a fresh 'The Sims 2' folder with the EAxis default neighborhoods and settings. At that point I usually delete all the 'hoods but one, then use that for testing.

You'll probably still have to go through the process of moving files to track down the problematic CC, but I find it to go more smoothly with the default 'hoods. They're smaller and therefore take less time to load than my primary 'hood.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 January 10, 20:48:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't forget, if all you want to do is test a vanilla game, you can rename your 'My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2' folder to something else, then start the game. This will generate a fresh 'The Sims 2' folder with the EAxis default neighborhoods and settings. At that point I usually delete all the 'hoods but one, then use that for testing.

Not if you've been fecking with the clean neighbourhood templates it won't. BastDawn will be putting download links for the original hood templates in the clean templates thread shortly.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 January 11, 14:32:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The OP's question was about moving 12 GBs of CC in the Downloads folder order to test a game without it. My language could have been more precise, I suppose. For a vanilla game, anything that's been modified in Program Files would first have to be restored to its original state at installation. Replace modified neighborhood templates with originals, remove anything that's been added to TSData\Res subfolders, restore backups of files, etc.

Hey, if you really want to be exact about running a completely vanilla game, then I suppose ditching the no-CD crack and running the game from the disk would also be required, right? Any volunteers?

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 January 11, 17:41:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, if you really want to be exact about running a completely vanilla game, then I suppose ditching the no-CD crack and running the game from the disk would also be required, right? Any volunteers?
No, because that would be completely retarded. Everyone should pelt you with rotten fruit now.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 January 13, 20:04:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* jolrei pelts roux with rotten fruit.

The only thing that running the game from the disk will accomplish is to install suck-u-rom on the machine.  The OP wants to fix the game, not wreck his/her rig.

Tribulatio proxima est
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 January 13, 20:33:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh lord! How long does it take to load your game? Please tell me that they're really, really organized?

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 January 14, 02:34:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was a boy here with 16-18GBs once. I think that's the most I've ever seen claimed.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: