More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 16:54:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Newspaper Delivery
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Newspaper Delivery  (Read 5878 times)
Eva Aisling
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Newspaper Delivery
« on: 2008 September 29, 12:55:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would anyone know why my newspaper is being delivered to the corner of my lot?
I am currently playing a custom neighborhood, on a 5x5 lot, for the Legacy Challenge. The only hacks I have installed are afhairmediumcenterpart.package, alfixes.package, antiredundancy.package, and comm-skilling.package.
I have all expansions installed and patched. I also have all stuff packs except Holiday, if that matters. I did a full reinstall before playing, so all expansions were installed, in order, and patched with the most recent patch.
I can intereact with the newspaper just fine, and am having no errors. It's just a waste of time to walk halfway across a 5x5 lot every day to recycle the paper.
Thanks in advance!

More Awesome Than You - in bed
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Newspaper Delivery
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 29, 12:59:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's probably why it is happening. Not enough hacks.

Pictures of the lot affected please? Ground floor floorplan and a picture of the front of the lot will do.

Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 29, 13:21:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can intereact with the newspaper just fine, and am having no errors. It's just a waste of time to walk halfway across a 5x5 lot every day to recycle the paper.

Why don't you just use the inventory or build/buy mode to place the newspaper at the trash bin / composter? It doesn't solve your problem, but it saves a lot of time.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Eva Aisling
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 29, 14:16:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, that was fast. Thank you for responding, but I figured out my problem. I started building my legacy house on a foundation, but I didn't have enough money to build my portico (porch). So, there was no foundation underneath the stairs leading to my front door. After posting, I made my porch and the newspaper was delivered beside the door. This is a feature added in AL, and I hadn't considered it being a problem.
To anyone searching this phenomenon... if you have AL, you must have a foundation under your stairs when your house is on a foundation.

Yes, playing this game without hacks is really annoying at times. I am a MATY addict and always put these hacks first. I usually never play without them, but wanted to make a fair score for the challenge. The only reason I installed the hacks I did was to avoid errors and exploit. My first attempt without ANY hacks was short-lived. I started getting multiple sim errors, before I even made it through Uni. I also got the mega skill bug and was having to Force Error my sim after every Work Out, to avoid it.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 29, 14:22:01 by Eva Aisling » Logged

Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 29, 14:52:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if you have AL, you must have a foundation under your stairs when your house is on a foundation.

You don't need to have a foundation under your stairs. What you need is space next to the door (on the same level) for the newspaper girl/boy to put the newspaper on. It doesn't matter if the floor tile in question is supported by a foundation or not, at least not on the lots in my game.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 29, 21:57:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, it is the space available that is on the same level as the front door. I had a few lots (mostly eaxis made) that had only a 2x4 front porch and every time a sim came to drop off a gift they wouldn't drop it if it was larger than the space available. I've combated this by building a large back porch and leaving at least 3x4 squares free of any objects/doors. They drop things there instead. I've also noticed that for things like backrubs that require a certain amount of free space for the sim to manoveur, they will find space on the same level to do it, even if it means leaving their own apartment built on a foundation to walk right across the lot to a neighbour's front porch. Duh, silly sims.

So, leave at least 3 tiles free by the front door (just in case you let papers accumulate.)  Wink

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 29, 22:02:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I buyable-ize the papers and just bury 3 someplace right off the bat. This keeps the annoying newspaper-12 from ever spawning in my game at all, so I have one less junk character clogging up my send-to-uni menu and game files! Also, I hate kids. And death to Emma!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Eva Aisling
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 30, 00:36:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if you have AL, you must have a foundation under your stairs when your house is on a foundation.

You don't need to have a foundation under your stairs. What you need is space next to the door (on the same level) for the newspaper girl/boy to put the newspaper on. It doesn't matter if the floor tile in question is supported by a foundation or not, at least not on the lots in my game.

Yes, I did only have one stair hanging from my door. Thanks all for clearing that up!

Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 30, 09:06:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On one apartment lot the newspaper girl didn't have enough room to put the newspaper by the door so she would walk down to the basement common area to deliver the newspaper.

ISFJ
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 October 01, 10:47:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I buyable-ize the papers and just bury 3 someplace right off the bat. This keeps the annoying newspaper-12 from ever spawning in my game at all, so I have one less junk character clogging up my send-to-uni menu and game files! Also, I hate kids. And death to Emma!

The un-awesome masses beg for a "spawn newspapers" action in the lot debugger.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 October 01, 11:04:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think this is already included in the "makebuyable" item somewhere in test or maybe Director's Cut, that will make the newspaper buyable from the old collections again.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: