More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 22:39:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  anyone know anything about runtime errors?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: anyone know anything about runtime errors?  (Read 4890 times)
clem
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
anyone know anything about runtime errors?
« on: 2005 September 09, 01:22:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a runtime error, R6025 either during or after the game crashed. The background: I'm doing a Legacy and on gen 5. I have two sets of siblings and all four are cousins, so everybody has a long family tree. I thought I would get a bunch of people through college. On the neighborhood screen, I selected the four teens I wanted to send through and put them in the same household. Then I went to put them in the same dorm that their ancestors had been in. The game has now crashed twice. The first time, I had this runtime error, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the crash (as I have no idea what a runtime error is, really).

My questions:
1. Does this error maybe have anything to do with the game crash? If so, how do I fix it?
2. Is the lot simply buggered, and tough luck about the portraits that are several gens back? 

I'm going to try the kids in another lot and see if I can start thinking through this myself. Will return in a few.

EDIT: Oh bother. They moved into another dorm. I hate having lost the other one, though. Is there any way to salvage it?
« Last Edit: 2005 September 09, 01:29:37 by clem » Logged
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: anyone know anything about runtime errors?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 09, 06:25:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AFAIK there is no way to recover a corrupted lot. I've not read of anyone doing this & I've had to write a few off, I've tried with a newly installed game and importing lots as well as copying over the whole n'hood folder to a new install. Nothing I can think of has worked for me. Sad

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 09, 08:27:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here, once the lot starts to crash on loading, there's nothing to be done but move your sims out and bulldoze.  If the lot doesn't crash, then there are various things you can try, but if it crashes to the desktop without even finsihing loading, you can't get into the lot to try them.

Zephyr Zodiac
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 09, 12:16:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Make sure you go through your downloads folder with the HackScanner from DJSims.
Custom careers have a tendency to mess things up...

INTJ
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 09, 17:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention the alien computer!!

Zephyr Zodiac
clem
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 10, 02:40:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Make sure you go through your downloads folder with the HackScanner from DJSims.
Custom careers have a tendency to mess things up...

Thanks, but I don't have any custom careers, and I don't download any sims or lots where custom careers can sneak in.

Not to mention the alien computer!!

I didn't bother downloading that, either. It came out pretty quickly after the game did, and I tend to be conservative about downloads until I know exactly what's normal gamplay and what's not (i.e. a bug). Then I heard a lot of bad things about the alienware computer and pointedly stayed away from it.

AFAIK there is no way to recover a corrupted lot. I've not read of anyone doing this & I've had to write a few off, I've tried with a newly installed game and importing lots as well as copying over the whole n'hood folder to a new install. Nothing I can think of has worked for me. Sad

Undecided that's what I thought. I had visions of portraits of all ten heirs as YAs in this one dorm. Oh well. Just that I would ask. Thanks, everybody.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 10, 03:19:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a shame!  It's really sad when you've been trying to achieve something in your game, and something like that prevents you from completing it!

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 10, 04:08:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JM told me that if I had a recent backup, I could replace the lot file for that one lot with the one from backup, and while any changes in the lot would be lost, the sims' memories, relationships, skill gains, etc, would be intact.  I tried this since then, and it really did work.  The important thing is to have a recent backup of your Neighborhoods folder.  Because of all the bugs I have encountered in this game, I have taken to making a copy of my Neighborhoods folder on a separate hard drive every night and keeping about 2 backups in addition to my current game.  Before then, the only solution was to evict and bulldoze.  And the sheep on the BBS have the nerve to say there are no bugs in TS2!  All I can say is that if you have not found any bugs in your game, you have not played it.
clem
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 10, 05:20:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JM told me that if I had a recent backup, I could replace the lot file for that one lot with the one from backup... The important thing is to have a recent backup of your Neighborhoods folder.

Um, backup?...heh heh  Undecided I think I backed up in July... lesson learned.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 10, 05:27:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry. Sad  I know that is the hardest way to learn.  The times I didn't feel like backing up were the times I needed it.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 10, 09:00:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How would you know which was the right file?

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 10, 09:17:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there are a couple of ways.  One way you can get an idea is to sort your Lots folder (using Windows Explorer or whatever you use) in that neighborhood by modified date.  If you played that lot last, it should show up at the top (or bottom, depending on how you sorted).  I looked up their family in SimPE under Family Information, and there is a box on the right side labled Lot Instance.  It's a hex number, so I copied and pasted it into the Converter built into SimPE.  I don't know if all versions of SimPE have this, but Windows calculator can convert hex to decimal as well.  Google search will turn up several web converters as well.  In the GUI version that I have of SimPE, there is a row of buttons along the bottom, and one is called Converter.  I just pasted the hex number into the top box, and the second line shows the decimal equivalent, which is the lot number.  Just to be sure, I located the lot package and opened it up in SimPE.  The pictures under jpg/tga/png image showed it was the right house, so that's the one I used.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 10, 12:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks - but wasn't it so much easier with sims1!

Zephyr Zodiac
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 10, 15:06:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you rainbow, that's definitely something to keep in mind. I have a lot in my village (my sacred, beloved village) where only the children can have queues. The adults, when told to use the bathroom, cook food, etc loose the order, it does not even go all the way up to the screen to queue in, it fades away halfway up. I am reluctant to go back into the village in case my other adults have the same happening. I shall cry if I have to abandon the village.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: