More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 06:28:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Obsessive Diary-Writing
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Obsessive Diary-Writing  (Read 27694 times)
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
Re: Obsessive Diary-Writing
« Reply #25 on: 2008 March 05, 01:28:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe we should wait and see.

Wasn't it was Wilde who said something like "Women do not call each other 'sister' until they have called each other everything else?"

Cheesy

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 March 05, 01:36:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Humour is very much allowed here.  In fact, it's required for RL.  There are several amusing posts in this thread by regulars.

Maybe you just don't get the MATY sense of humour.

I think, rather, that they don't get mine.  But they will.  People usually catch on after awhile.

You underestimate us.  We do get your sense of humour.  We DO NOT WANT.  Mitchie pegged you very quickly, you really would feel more at home at A Cuppa Joe.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008 March 05, 02:24:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a clinical psychologist,

Well, let me explain how things work here, then. We don't like happy-clappy people. The majority of MATYzens fit into the category of people for whom therapy and rehab do not work because they are too smart and too cynical to go along with it.

And before you start in with the clinical psychology bullshit of telling me that's not a real category, let me get out my street cred for you: my mother is a Psych Professor, and for about 10 years I worked as a research assistant for people who probably wrote the textbooks you used while you were doing your pissy little psych qualification. Friendly warning: try to patronise me, and I will probably make you cry.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 March 05, 05:27:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*giggle* ?!?

Dear god. I think the BBS probably likes that shit.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 March 05, 07:08:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Giggles are for 12s or for RL -- NOT the Podium. The Podium is for serious business. This is not the place to prove how much better you are than everybody else. Go to Retardo Land, start your own thread about how you are so much better than rohina. I am sure nothing bad will happen. After all, you are all brave enough to talk about your patients' private problems in a forum full of hostiles just to prove that you can handle "Teh Dark". What in the world could rohina possibly do against that kind of .... what's the word I am looking for? I am sure I will think of it soon enough.

At any rate: the BBS or Cuppa Joe are really great for people who like to giggle or emoticon their way through conversations. Also they do much more interesting drugs on Cuppa Joe than anybody does at MATY. OH and they *love* to talk about their sex problems, which seems to be something you would be very comfortable with.

Get back on topic, people! I don't want this thread getting tossed to Retardo Land! I want the "Diaries are for 12s" hack NAO!!!11oneone! Crazed sims running off to write in their diaries was bad enough before, but now it has just gone too far.
« Last Edit: 2008 March 05, 07:13:45 by V » Logged

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 March 05, 07:25:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Get back on topic, people! I don't want this thread getting tossed to Retardo Land! I want the "Diaries are for 12s" hack NAO!!!11oneone! Crazed sims running off to write in their diaries was bad enough before, but now it has just gone too far.

Akshully I have noticed the diary obsession. I've never liked the interaction, even in Castaways at the beginning when they're low on social. I would totally support a hack that does away with diarying altogether. But I'd settle for minimisation and be damned grateful for it.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2008 March 05, 08:00:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it was Dizzy who made a hack that only allowed sims to write in their diaries if they were alone in the room where the bookcase was. He recently posted his hacks on The Laden Swallow. It doesn't completely quash the obsessive diary-writing, but it does do away with a lot of it.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2008 March 05, 08:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that. I just haven't put Dizzy's hacks in my Freetime test hood. It still didn't squash it as much as I'd have liked.

doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008 March 05, 09:45:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree that sims are a bit too fond of diary writing since Freetime and choose the most unsuitable situations (shop owner in a shop full of customers) for it, but I would like to point out that diary writing is not only for 12 year olds.
When my grandmother died I took charge of her diaries which she started writing again in 1964, one year after my birth. I loved reading them and they told me a lot about my family and my grandmother. A few years later I got prepared to move and so was my brother, there was a mix-up of boxes and one of mine was accidently driven to a waste plant and burned, including all the diaries up to 1971 (and they were the ones with the most interesting stuff). I still consider this as one of my greatest material losses.
Diaries written by famous or completely unknown people are found and published, because they provide not only a very particular perspective on the time when they were written, but also tell about the person who has written them.

EDIT: Oh, and I think if it gets too much I get the hack from Dizzy, it sound like the right one for me.
Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

I/E NF P/J- Yah , what about it?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 March 05, 09:50:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am all for complete removal of the diary writing. They get stuck in the "omg people watching me write ..noooes!!!".
Annoys me to no end.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008 March 05, 10:03:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a clinical psychologist,

Well, let me explain how things work here, then. We don't like happy-clappy people. The majority of MATYzens fit into the category of people for whom therapy and rehab do not work because they are too smart and too cynical to go along with it.

As demonstrated in our Mental Health Survey.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 March 05, 16:44:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As demonstrated in our Mental Health Survey.

We are a full service forum, are we not?

I would be happy for a death to diaries option.  I don't think I have ever intentiionally used it and stomp it whenever I see it.  If I want a sim to park, I can power idle them.  If they are not supposed to park, there are more useful ways to have fun.

Tribulatio proxima est
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008 March 05, 16:49:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the diary writing is schtoopid for all the reasons above mentioned and also because no one writes in a diary by hand anymore, anyway. Why aren't these obsessive diary-writers writing blogs?

doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 March 05, 18:35:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why aren't these obsessive diary-writers writing blogs?

Because every time they use a computer it is either occupied by another sim or another sim stands next to them and complains because they use it.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 March 05, 18:39:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't mind the autonomous part of diary writing being removed, there are the very rare moments when I may want to direct them to do it just for the heck of it though.  If we take away their diaries what will they obsess over instead?

Interesting link Gwill.
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 March 05, 20:26:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The diary writing itself doesn't bother me, but the diary writing every spare moment does.  A "less diary writing" option would work well for me.  Honestly, if I have the option between autonomous birdwatching and diary writing, I'd prefer the damn diary.  But it should check to see if the sim is sufficiently alone before permitting the action.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: 2008 March 05, 21:15:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not too sure, but I think Dizzy has a hack for diary writing that checks if the sim is alone. I'll go look.

[edit] Yes he does.

- diary-test-ft: Checks whether the sim is sufficiently alone before allowing the diary interaction.

mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008 March 05, 21:29:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Emma.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2008 March 06, 06:06:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't be fooled. They don't check for aloneness all that hard. They may possibly take a glance around, but in a crowded household this will not really help you decrease the diary writing. Of course in an empty household this is completely useless since they are almost always alone.

Diaries are for 12s!

This from a person who wrote diaries until she was nearly 30! Well, obviously that is what the Sims will do for you!

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Corylea
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008 March 06, 09:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So one giggle gets a person tossed in the trash pit.  Don't you think your knees are jerking just a bit fast, there?

Interesting how afraid you all seem of newcomers.  I wonder what that's about.

Middle-aged professional woman still plays computer games.    Film at 11.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008 March 06, 09:13:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go on, why don't you psychoanalyse us? Since you're wondering and all....

Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008 March 06, 09:37:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Corylea, please don't start the psychoanalysis. It won't be welcomed. Yes, people jumped hard and fast to squish the giggles. Necessary? Probably not, but after seeing newbie after newbie follow a link here and not understand that the Podium is not a "chat" forum, the locals like to "educate" with sharp and pointy examples.

Don't start a fight with Rohina. Take a few minutes to read the FAQ and understand the culture here. I'm sure you'll be able to fit in nicely (if, in fact, you want to fit in here) once you understand the social dynamics a little better.

And, ahem, back to diaries are for 12s!

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2008 March 06, 17:03:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So one giggle gets a person tossed in the trash pit.  Don't you think your knees are jerking just a bit fast, there?
No. Think of it this way. You're at a party, and some random guy comes up to you and asks if it hurt when you fell down from heaven. Your reaction to this person is based upon your former experience of guys who use cheesy pick-up lines. Hence, you're going to think of this person as a dork/sleeze until you see something from them to redeem themselves. This is standard behaviour, and something that you should have been able to predict based upon your background.

Not afraid. Newcomers are fun. People who act like 12-year olds are not fun, as we* are no longer 12. Kids piss me off. Damn Entitlement Generation.

*Royal "we", as per usual.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008 March 06, 17:16:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting how you ascribe rejection of your inanity to "fear," rather than acknowledging that people might genuinely dislike the way you expressed yourself. Because, really, if a whole bunch of people have a problem with you, it must be because they are all weird and mental and shit, and not because what you said was annoying or anything.

Liz: Don't tell people not to fight with me; where am I going to get my lulz?

I am SO going to write about this in my diary.

Gamblor
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008 March 06, 18:14:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know we don't take requests here at MATY but this is just too important and it's ruining the fun of the game. Hats off again to EAxis screwing it up once more Angry. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF AWSOMENESS!!! Could somebody tell me if this obsessive diary writing will be taken care of before I nuke my Sims into space. I just can't wait for the next patch to arrive (I am so impatient lol). This is one of those things I have never understood why it was put into the game in the first place Huh. If it was something useful then it would make some sense. I am just getting sick and tired of my adult Sims acting like fourteen year old girls.

A Sims Nightmare!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: