More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 06:06:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Ever been to an EA focus group?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ever been to an EA focus group?  (Read 15437 times)
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
Re: Ever been to an EA focus group?
« Reply #25 on: 2007 January 28, 15:07:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very good for blubug, and very bad for my students.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 January 28, 15:30:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tell them that unless they shape up, the Commies will be running America.
ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 January 28, 15:34:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quite a few of them wouldn't know what I was talking about...they're too young for Cold War references.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 January 28, 16:08:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, you spell much much better than most of native English speakers.

Is that good or bad?

Why thank you very much! I went to an American elementary school and since then I've read a lot not to lose the language. And I translate a lot of essays as well, so I guess the effort pays off. (Although I know my sentences could be structured much better) Smiley

And Elfpuddle, a lot of the students here (in Turkey) have terrible spelling and grammar. It's like the new generation just doesn't read.

Anyway, back to the subject, focus groups anyone?
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 2007 January 28, 16:11:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, you spell much much better than most of native English speakers.

Gah! Can I just take a moment to bitch about this, since my posts on the topic were deleted from PMBD during the Great Purge and even though this is not Retardo Land? I've tutored English off-and-on over the years, and English is NOT my native language. It's always amazed me how many native English-speakers were in need of English tutoring. They could speak the language perfectly well, but could not seem to transfer their instinctual knowledge of it to the written page. In other words, they could speak it, but they couldn't write it. I've determined that some people are just naturally better with words, whilst others are better with numbers. Those students who seemed to do well in English (or whatever language they happened to speak) were generally not very good at Maths, and vice versa (I fall into the former category). That said, if language is not your strong point, there are tools that can help you, such as dictionaries, thesauruses (thesauri?), and the like. Grammar is a bit more complicated than spelling and diction are, but simply being observant of how words are used by those who use them correctly can go a long way, and I often encouraged my students to read well-written books and to emulate what they had read. Sometimes this helped, sometimes it didn't. The point is, not presenting yourself in a way that is understandable really does make you look stupid, whether you are or not (the exception being non-native speakers, who have a valid excuse). It really doesn't take much time to read over a post before sending it, and this simple act alone will go quite far in making one appear to be at least marginally intelligent. For example, I just misspelled 'marginally' but I caught it and corrected it before posting this. Tongue

[/rant]

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 January 28, 16:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wooot! Way to out yourself as a member of the fire-breathing grammar police! Awesome rant.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2007 January 28, 16:32:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, where's my closet?!! *looks around suspiciously*

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 January 28, 16:40:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy
ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 January 28, 17:06:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*tacklehuggleboogleglomps notveryawesome for a very awesome rant*

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 January 28, 17:32:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quite a few of them wouldn't know what I was talking about...they're too young for Cold War references.

Are you saying that a few of them are Baby Boomers and older?

That's insane.
ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 January 28, 17:43:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, silly, they're all too young, but some pay attention in *gasp* history class, so they would know to what I referred.

Lana B
Dimwitted Dunce

This post not officially sanctioned

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 January 29, 07:30:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*claps and cheers NVA for her rant*
I liked the PMBD one too. (still reeling slightly hence the post on the wrong site).
I also like Witch's sig, although I would add it's not that big a deal, OF nothing!!!
I tend to be better at numbers, but I love reading, lots of 18th and 19th century literature as well as sci-fi so I tend to be quite formal when writing. I try not to go overboard, but it really bugs me when people think it doesn't matter. If you want people to understand you, it does matter. If you're not prepared to make the effort, don't bloody type.

I don't live in US so no EA focus groups for me.

"Curse that alpha turkey, rohina! She will get her comeuppance next Grammar Day-- I will make sure of it!"
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 January 29, 19:21:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also like Witch's sig, although I would add it's not that big a deal, OF nothing!!!

Funny, I just noted that from the thread where Craigsters lost the plot. I'm planning to add that comment. It's that big a deal for me. Smiley

ETA: Oh and the 'then' 'than' issue.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Lana B
Dimwitted Dunce

This post not officially sanctioned

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 January 30, 06:59:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The funny thing about people who say the could care less is that they are being unintentionally accurate. If they really didn't care, they wouldn't talk about it.

"Curse that alpha turkey, rohina! She will get her comeuppance next Grammar Day-- I will make sure of it!"
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 January 30, 16:13:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's sarcasm, which people don't seem to get without a scorecard especially in writing. Intonation is everything.

cf "I should be so lucky" and "cheap at half the price"

Unsouper
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2007 January 30, 18:02:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*tacklehuggleboogleglomps notveryawesome for a very awesome rant*

Awww, I feel so warm and fuzzy now. Thanks for the tacklehuggleboogleglomp (whatever THAT is, though I can guess at it from the context - yet another concept that many people do not seem to grasp, especially on the InterWeb, where everything seems to be taken literally, if not literately Wink).

Edited because I am living up to my screen name.

ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 January 30, 18:16:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a phrase I learned from RainbowTigress and her wonderful Wiki skills.

Wink

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 January 30, 23:01:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I learned about yiffing from Assmitten and wikipedia.

ElfPuddle
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 January 31, 06:17:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Is scared to ask if rohina yiffs as often as ElfPuddle tacklehuggleboogleglomps, but feels she should ask anyway, in the interest of full disclosure*

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 January 31, 13:43:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think anyone does anything with the frequency of Elfie glompage.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: