More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 15:20:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  reinstalling windows but not the sims
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: reinstalling windows but not the sims  (Read 3251 times)
trudy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
reinstalling windows but not the sims
« on: 2006 December 18, 20:41:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a rather strange problem.
I am at my boyfriends house over the vacation (far away, long time)
Before I left I reinstalled windows. sims is on d: but I broght the cds just in case. Problem i missed the pets dvd because its normaly in the drive.
So i thought maybe with an iso and no cd.
But it seems i have to reinstall because of some missind registrys (because i reinstalled windows).
If I do that I will not be able to reinstall pets and play my families.
Anyone know any workarounds? I can not download pets because of trafic limitations.

Everything is still there but the parts that get lost when u reinstall windows (I saved the folder unter my documents with the falily data and co). Anyone know whats missing and how to fix it without reinstalling pets? (I can reinstall anything else)
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: reinstalling windows but not the sims
« Reply #1 on: 2006 December 18, 21:06:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would rename my My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder, then reinstall the game.  Create sufficient dummy hoods to equal the highest numbered hood you had in your old game, then make one to play in. 

When you have your Pets CD again, you can reinstall that and copy your old 'hoods into the new folder.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 December 18, 21:07:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a rather strange problem.
I am at my boyfriends house over the vacation (far away, long time)
Before I left I reinstalled windows. sims is on d: but I broght the cds just in case. Problem i missed the pets dvd because its normaly in the drive.
So i thought maybe with an iso and no cd.
But it seems i have to reinstall because of some missind registrys (because i reinstalled windows).
If I do that I will not be able to reinstall pets and play my families.
Anyone know any workarounds? I can not download pets because of trafic limitations.

Everything is still there but the parts that get lost when u reinstall windows (I saved the folder unter my documents with the falily data and co). Anyone know whats missing and how to fix it without reinstalling pets? (I can reinstall anything else)
I think somewhere there is a list of registry keys created by Pets and all previous expansions. You may be able to manually recreate those keys to fake the installs and force the game to run. I'm not sure what "traffic limitations" would be, though. It may TAKE awhile, but you could still *DO* it. Besides, you said you had an ISO.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
trudy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 December 18, 21:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thanks miros that would be aesy but a want to play my sims not start new ones :-)

trafic limititations... well iīm in austria so we have like 1GB trafic. Wich means I really canīt download anything big ;-)
that list of registry keys wouls really help, any idea were i can find that?
I donīt really have an iso, i have that minithing that pretends to be your cd in a virtual drive. wich I thing would work if the game would not think its not installed properly because of missing registrys.

I tried starting just the sims (have all the cds for that), but same deal, missing registrys, I can reinstal everything up to ofb if necesary but not pets :-/
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 December 18, 22:36:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Concerning the registry keys, how about this thread? http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=6721.0

If fixing the paths by yourself won't work and you're in need of a Pets copy... umm, is there any video store or alike around, where you could lent games for a weekend or so?
trudy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 December 19, 23:33:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thx put I dont think the names of the registry keys are going to help a lot, since I donīt have them, I would nede a dump or not? I donīt want to delete them, I want to put them in without reistalling pets...

Itīs a rather small place but thats not a bad idea I will see if I find a store where I can lent games.

Maybee the registrys of the packs look kind of alike and I can recunstruct the one for pets? Any Ideas?
trudy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 December 20, 00:40:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well it seems its not the registrys after all... I reinstalli the base game an uni for some testing, then I killed all uni registrys I could find (the ones in the linked post) but uni is quite unimpressed and starts just fine. So why does nightlife tell me there are files missing and I should reinstall?

If I install under d: what does the game still safe on c: besides the data in my documents wich I can delete just fine (game restores that)?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: