More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 16, 22:19:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  System Restore?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: System Restore?  (Read 5266 times)
SarahKjrsten
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
System Restore?
« on: 2006 August 24, 17:26:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an Inspiron 1100 laptop from Dell, and I want to do a total system restore back to how it was when I first took it out of the package in fall of 2003. However, I have not a clue how to do this. I've backed up all important files on my portable flashdrive, and gotten out the cds that came with my laptop (as well as the cds that came with my parent's computer--my mom having put them all in the same box). What do I do now? I'm at a total loss... Any help, even whacks on the head for being an idiot are welcome.

Thank you!
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: System Restore?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 24, 17:36:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey I have the same computer.  What you do is  go to control panel..bring up performance and maintenance... and up in the left hand corner is a little window with system restore.  And it will  walk you through it from there on.. Im assuming youre on windowsxp.

SarahKjrsten
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 24, 17:37:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have XP and that was my first thought, but it won't let me go back any farther than May 2006 to choose a restore point....so I'm not sure what to do.
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 24, 17:42:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

when did you notice a problem? or what are you trying to fix?

SarahKjrsten
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 24, 17:44:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My computer just needs a good purge. Late Feburary it stopped being able to play videos correctly, I've still got files left over from the Sims 1 that weren't uninstalled and I can't delete, and I've got a mutlitude of extraneous little programs and games. I just to start the school year with a clean slate so to speak.
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 24, 17:47:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you could try to create a restore point.  Have you had to reformat or repair your windows around May 2006? I had to  afew days ago so it wont let me go past august 18 2006. That might be why.   

SarahKjrsten
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 24, 17:50:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing I could of happening around May is my computer downloaded one of the Windows updates...could that make a difference? If so, is there anyway I could work around that?
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 24, 19:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the updates wont affect that... hmm   you did click on the arrows by the dates didnt you? hmmm... try the create a restore point.. if not then hmm.. I guess manually delete the games and such that you dont play anymore and maybe a scan disc and disc defragment to free up space.

SarahKjrsten
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 24, 19:25:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have deleted a lot of the games (I've got 45% free space according to the defragmentor analysis), but I can't get rid of all of the files from the old Sims 1 game. I unistalled them with the clean uninstaller that maxis gave, but it left folders in the program files, and I can't get rid of them...
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 August 24, 19:30:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wont allow you to send them to the recycle bin?  Is there anything left in the add and remove programs from sims 1?

SarahKjrsten
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 August 24, 20:05:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope. I can't get rid of them at all. And I'd rather like to. I guess if I can't system restore it's not big deal (though I really want to find a way to re-install my drivers, is there anyway to do this without a system restore? I think the problem with my laptop's inability to play vidoes stems from a faulty driver/codex?)
Ms_Tamany
Blathering Buffoon

Utterly unAwesome

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 August 24, 20:08:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My favorite way to restore my system to 'like new' is very simple.

format c:\

Grin

-----
This sig don't say nothing.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 August 24, 21:34:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't even bother with the Windows System Restore unless there's an actual problem with Window, I've had the system restore screw up a good install.  Then again, that was with Windows Miserable Edition (ME) so they might have improved it since then.  That's not what you want though if you want a clean install, since it only changes settings.

Since your laptop came with restore CDs, you can wipe everything on there and reinstall windows.  To do this, there should be a disk that is called "Recovery CD 1" or something similar.  Put this in the drive, restart the computer and follow the instructions that it gives you.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 August 24, 21:57:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

System Restore in WinXP is definitely much more reliable than WinME. Of course, EVERYTHING is more reliable than WinME.

Orbit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 August 25, 20:06:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup . Insert your CD(s). Hit "Next" then check "Restore From A Backup" and hit "Next".  Backup will guide you from there.  This is assuming your CD is an actual PC backup (it isn't a Windows Install CD is it?).  Or you can do it the hard way by booting from your CD by inserting your CD then restarting your computer.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: