More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 09:40:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Boy sees dead people. Should I be worried?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Boy sees dead people. Should I be worried?  (Read 6352 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Boy sees dead people. Should I be worried?
« on: 2009 February 11, 01:35:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah...the guy in the thought bubble is the past mayor. He's been dead for a few days, on another lot. His grave is firmly placed in the cemetary adjoining the Temple of the Oversoul. The kid in question, Brycen Goldhammer, never met him and is not related to him, not that it matters.

So is this a bad thing?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Boy sees dead people. Should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 February 11, 01:42:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's happened to me several times. I don't know if it's a bad thing in the long term, but I've never had a hood meltdown.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 February 11, 09:38:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's harmless. He sees dead people, they're everywhere, they walk around just like everyone else. They don't even know they're dead.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 February 13, 09:17:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course, it could mean you're already dead too.  Be prepared for that shocking twist there at the end.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 February 13, 16:07:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't even seen the movie, but I already knew about that. I don't watch scary movies. Even the opening credit music creeps me out.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Callista
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 February 23, 22:23:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not actually that scary. There's a bit of gore, yeah, but it struck me as more in the mystery genre than true horror. YMMV.

What exactly makes a sim "dead"? I don't mean the method of killing them off, but how the program tells--is it a token like "pregnant"? If so, does the game generally treat dead sims exactly like live ones?

Officially Weird
ReneeFox
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 February 23, 22:32:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if it's a token, but does the game treat Dead Sims the same as living Sims?  You can't interact with them like living Sims ... if that's what you mean.  You probably can't resurrect them, unless you're playing the dead Sim's residential lot; at least that's what I think.  Bonk me on the head if I'm wrong!   Shocked
« Last Edit: 2009 February 23, 22:38:09 by ReneeFox » Logged

Please don't Delete Me 'cause I don't post much in the Forum!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 February 23, 22:40:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In game, there is an option in debug called "give dead token". Now, I've never played with it as it seems one of those ball-of-fire type abilities. ReneeFox, I like your willingness to be punished, but really...we'll decide how to poke you.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Callista
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 February 24, 11:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, the death condition does change things, obviously, but then again, so does pregnacy, werewolf-hood, or any number of conditions a sim can have.

My theory is that dead sims, unlike babies, are not treated like objects but like actual sims... but I would have no idea how to figure that out.

Officially Weird
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 February 24, 11:30:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dead sims that are not unlinked are simply dead. Like being a werewolf, vampire, plant, etc., "dead" is just a status effect. Nothing happens if your sim somehow manages to see, interact, or otherwise poke a dead sim (dead is just a status effect that can be removed normally in-game), although it does tend to represent some kind of behavioral aberration. In this case, the aberration is that the random thumbnail for telescopy does not appear to be excluding the dead from the list of valid pictures to pop up. As the pictures themselves are cosmetic and mean nothing, this is totally harmless.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 February 24, 11:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of dead sims and harmless stuff (and also to derail a bit); I've noticed that dead sims keep having memories from their death onward, like grandchildren births, family marriages, etc. I realize that they are only a few, compared to those who are created by a living sims, but still I'm worried if they could lead to bloating in the long run.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 February 24, 11:50:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of dead sims and harmless stuff (and also to derail a bit); I've noticed that dead sims keep having memories from their death onward, like grandchildren births, family marriages, etc. I realize that they are only a few, compared to those who are created by a living sims, but still I'm worried if they could lead to bloating in the long run.
Some, but it's not a big deal since family-memories only propagate to levels where the sim could have been conceivably alive anyway.

raattgift
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 March 01, 05:01:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the random thumbnail for telescopy does not appear to be excluding the dead from the list of valid pictures to pop up. As the pictures themselves are cosmetic and mean nothing, this is totally harmless.

I buy the totally harmless bit, but is it really cosmetic?  This was a daytime "look through", and when a Sim's picture shows up in the thought bubble, that Sim shows up on the lot to lecture the voyeur.   (This is one of my favourite effects, especially when the voyeur is wussy crybaby and the spied-upon Sim is a vampire, and the lot is pessimized for the latter's quick traversal.  Could thefightclub lead to a decline in the vampire population thanks to daytime telescope use?  Whee!  Unfortunately the vampires don't stay around long enough to turn to dust).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: