More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 11, 05:47:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  OFB Killed my computer!!!!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: OFB Killed my computer!!!!  (Read 12082 times)
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
OFB Killed my computer!!!!
« on: 2006 March 22, 04:00:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and now I can't play my game never mind even being able to run my computer... Cry ....I waited soooo long to install this lastest expansion pack....got everything updated...well except my maty fixes cause well the site was down...I disabled all hacks/fixes and installed the game....eveything seem to go well....thought I had clear sailing ahead....left cc enabled figured if it was going to blow my houses and sims were going to look good going out....never imagined it would take my computer out with it!!!! I was in bluewater village ( which should have been spelled BLEW as in blew-up)....making my normal changes to the buildings...in other words getting rid of the maxis tacky decor....when all of a sudden while in the neighborhood view I hear this noise like a rumbling kind of sound come out of my tower and then the monitor goes black.... Shocked.....I hurried and shut down the computer not really in a panic yet until I turned it back on and still the black very blank screen.....now I panic....I got on the phone with tech support and you know I've seen more of my computer today than I ever have in the 3 yrs. I've had it....still not working...tech support will be coming to pay me a visit in a day or two....some card with the fan thingy on it is suppose to be the issue....I just can't believe this game can cause so many problems....talk about getting rid of my sims addiction....I'm almost afraid if/when my computer gets fixed to have the nerve to even put the game in and play....I'm really not sure if this game is worth this kind of hassle....and it's not just me having issues....my sister had to re-install cause when she added ofb her game kept crashing...lost all her cc....which she is replacing but not me I had to lose my whole f***in computer....I could just scream.....I know this isn't really a help me post but I just needed to let off some steam where I know people understand the frustrations this game can and does put on you....thanks everyone I'll be going though withdrawals now....espically since I have to resort to using my husband's laptop or my kids computer that is upstairs  Tongue....not the best choices but beggars can't be choosy.....tgdrysix Tongue

Lurking since 2005...and proud of it!

Sims2, Uni, NL, OFB, Glamour,Pets, Seasons , BV, Freetime, Celebration, K&B, Ikea
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
Re: OFB Killed my computer!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 22, 04:09:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most likely it wasn't the game's fault, it sounds like your hardware may have overheated. This may have been caused by running The Sims, but from the sound of things it would have worn out running any resource heavy game at that point. Computers are like everything else, sometimes they just wear out or break.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 22, 04:25:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tgd, it wasn't the game. I reinstalled OFB almost 4-5 times (each time a different reason), nothing happened - neither  to the game, nor to the computer.

Liegens is right...Smiley
jeffreyc
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 22, 05:03:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can always tell the noobs by their "The game killed my computer" nonsense  Roll Eyes
DMDye
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 22, 05:08:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Computers are notorious for giving problems at year 3 or whenever the warranty runs out, if it is before then...
I'd love to hear what Tech Support says tomorrow, maybe the game is not to blame after all!
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 22, 05:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Probably something like your motherboard is fried. Nuthin' to do with OFB except possibly overheating but like liegenschonheit said, any resource-intensive process coulda' tipped it over the edge.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 22, 06:36:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Open For Business killed my computer as well.

OK, it was merely a coincidence that my video card and motherboard went *poof* shortly after. Or was it?
Call me a noob and I'll kick you.

*cue Twilight Zone music*

Instant gratification takes too long.
DMDye
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 22, 07:22:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

^ Noob! <covers tush!>
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 22, 09:12:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait... rumbling sound? Erk... that could have been a hard drive crash. Nevertheless, it was certainly a hardware failure, and NOT caused by the game. Software can't magically tell things to overheat or platters to crash into each other or whatever.

radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 22, 14:58:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait... rumbling sound? Erk... that could have been a hard drive crash. Nevertheless, it was certainly a hardware failure, and NOT caused by the game. Software can't magically tell things to overheat or platters to crash into each other or whatever.

Software can incorrectly identify hardware and utilize it badly, such as using features on video cards that push the hardware beyond its limits. It's rare, but fully possible.

*kicks DMDye*

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 22, 15:15:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Software can incorrectly identify hardware and utilize it badly, such as using features on video cards that push the hardware beyond its limits. It's rare, but fully possible.

*kicks DMDye*

Yeah, you're right, I had forgotten about that. Games and applications, though, not so much.

Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 22, 15:36:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well it may not have been the game that killed my computer but it was what I was doing at the time and had no other indication before that anything was even remotely wrong or  going to go wrong ....other than that sound and then a blank screen....and my computer is still sitting silent and dark Undecided....boy talk about a humdinger of a coincidence....my computer is "only" 3 yrs old....that doesn't seem to be old enough for stuff to start breaking in the darn thing but then I don't know that much about computers and their inner workings....I've added memory to it and a new video card maybe 4 or 6 months ago, other than that it has the rest of it's orginal parts....I just think that I should have had some prior indication that the thing was going to blow before installing ofb....something anything...... Huh....tgdrysix

Sims2, Uni, NL, OFB, Glamour,Pets, Seasons , BV, Freetime, Celebration, K&B, Ikea
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 March 22, 15:38:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just out of curiosity, what video card were you using?

Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 March 22, 15:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just out of curiosity, what video card were you using?

nvidia geforce fx 5700 ve 256 mb ddr ...  gave me no issues and ran the game with most settings on med and high....that is till yesterday....now it doesn't run squat....do  I sound bitter?......tgdrysix

radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 March 22, 15:54:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ask because I'm using an Nvidia card as well and with the recent 8x series drivers from Nvidia, the card likes to reset over and over.

Are you/were you using the new Nvidia drivers?

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 March 22, 16:04:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you flick on a light switch and there is an earth quake right at that moment, did flicking the switch cause the earth quake?

Associate is not causation. 

Not all computer problems announce themselves politely ahead of time.  Some of them happen just suddenly out of the blue...

The fact you heard a rumbling sound indicates some kind of mechanical failure.  So the fan sounds about right. 

A game, or any (normal) software for that matter cannot cause a computer to blow up.  At most, it can put stress on a component that's borderline and finally cause it to fail.  Just like over-exertion can trigger a heart attack...but only if your heart is sick to begin with.
« Last Edit: 2006 March 22, 16:12:10 by angelyne » Logged
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 March 22, 16:12:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

.I just think that I should have had some prior indication that the thing was going to blow before installing ofb....something anything....

Software doesn't kill computers; hardware failures do and most of the time you get no notice.  The age of the computer makes no difference.  The hard drive on my employer's computer has had to be replaced twice - mainly, I think, because he is computer illiterate and doesn't shut it down properly at the end of the day.  His computer was a bit over a year old at the first crash.

Like cars, computers also have to be maintained and there are various utilities for that.  Defragging, clearing your cache regularly, etc.

If you made a backup of your game files to a CD before the installation, you've really lost nothing but some time.

I'm Polly Paranoia and back up important stuff regularly to DVDs.  Of course, I learned that the hard way when the hard drive on my office system (same brand as my employer's) crashed and burned...... 
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 March 22, 16:18:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ziggy, regular maintenance such as you describe, will help keep maintain your computer performance, but it does nothing to cause or prevent hardware failures.

However one type of maintenance can prevent hardware failure.  Making sure your computer is not directly on the floor, and keeping it free of dust.  Dust can cause overheating, and hardware failure. 

You might want to read this article:  The most common ways of killing a computer.  Rather interesting.  http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1720

No mention of OFB that I can see Smiley
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 March 22, 16:33:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ziggy, regular maintenance such as you describe, will help keep maintain your computer performance, but it does nothing to cause or prevent hardware failures.

Didn't say it did - was just pointing out that computer benefit from maintenance.  And if you have the appropriate utilities, in some cases you can prevent total hardware meltdown by determining there is a problem and fixing it.

They're much more complicated than the Vic-20 I started out with. Roll Eyes
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 March 22, 16:39:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This isn't a pissing contest. Most Vic 20's outlive modern systems but that's beside the point.

Chances are there was some faulty hardware and OFB happened to push said hardware over the edge (three years is old for a gaming PC). In essence, OFB caused the failure by working as it was supposed to. If the game was never played, something else would have caused the failure. This is called computer use and it will eventually cause the computer to fail, just as using your car will cause wear and tear.

skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 March 22, 16:39:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh you could have been doing anything on it and it could have blown itself up.
My last computer decided to die during install of TS2 base game.  Talk about crappy timing.  That was the base game.  The Sims 2 I had anxiously been awaiting for so long and after I had it in my greedy lil paws I then had to wait to get a new computer heh
We never did find out what was wrong with ours.  Just got another instead of having it repaired...the old one had seen it's day anyways.
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 March 22, 17:17:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are all probably right...I'm sure ofb didn't actually kill my computer it just held the knife.... Shocked....anyway the computer tech is suppose to be coming this afternoon to see if she can resurrect my computer from the great beyond...keeping my fingers crossed....tgdrysix

radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 March 22, 17:24:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol *prays to the PC gods*

I just rebult mine. To hell with paying other geeks, I am a geek. Tongue

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 March 22, 17:25:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

angelyne makes a very good point about dirt and dust building up - especially around the fan area.  A friend had a system which was making quite a loud sound when it ran.  Turned out there was about two inches of dust covering the fan.  The inside was a mess as well.  Once cleaned up, the unit ran quietly.

And a heck of a lot cooler.

Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 March 22, 17:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

angelyne makes a very good point about dirt and dust building up - especially around the fan area.  A friend had a system which was making quite a loud sound when it ran.  Turned out there was about two inches of dust covering the fan.  The inside was a mess as well.  Once cleaned up, the unit ran quietly.

And a heck of a lot cooler.

Yeah when I had to open it up there were quite a few dust bunnies living in there and I did evict them but how do you keep the suckers out....you know what a pain it was to even get the thing openned....wires every where.... I can't imagine having to do that on a regular basis....I hate dusting as it is, I sure as hell don't want to have to dust an area that I can't even see, never mind get to easily.... Tongue ....tgdrysix

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: