More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 04:59:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  NTLDR is missing press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: NTLDR is missing press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart  (Read 18357 times)
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
NTLDR is missing press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart
« on: 2008 June 16, 07:31:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pedobait's PC is officially FUBAR'ed. Thank God for sister's laptop. Apologies of any spelling/grammar errors.

I was on the 'net and my shitbox PC froze on me. I restarted it, and I got the error "NTLDR is missing press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart". I looked around with my mad Google-fu and I have no idea how to fix it. I don't understand hardcore techie language, forgive me.

OK, so I read that I can make the computer work by copying files from the Win XP installation CD. But I don't have it. I have a zOMG Vista upgrade disk, but when I put in the program key thing-o it said I had to install Windoze from my current OS.

In short, WTF do I do? Could I just by a new Windoze CD and re-install it? If I have to go to Vista I will, and I don't have any importaint stuff on the PC so I don't mind losing anything. Luckily the semester is almost over so I don't have any assignments to work on. Windoze can suck on my big, hairy, metaphorical balls. I really hate Micosoft right about now.

Thank you for any advice, and if I dissappear for ages this is why.

ETA: I know how to access the CD drive so I could re-install Windoze but I don't know how to make a boot disk. WTF is a boot disk? Yeah, Windoze will get a boot alright. A boot up the ass with my steelcaps!
« Last Edit: 2008 June 16, 07:50:01 by Jess Maree » Logged

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
toad
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: NTLDR is missing press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 16, 09:49:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had something similar happen to me on a computer a few years back, and I think we were able to recover all the data by acquiring a new windows CD (don't buy one, borrow one off a friend) and doing a reinstall but not a complete reformat.  If you don't mind losing all the data, I'd go down that path.
Unfortunately, I have the horrible sinking feeling that this was a major symptom of the computer dying, however, and we ended up replacing it as a result.

Hopefully someone can lend you some more helpful advice!
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 16, 10:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"NTLDR is missing" : http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm#b

If that's hard to understand, your only choice is to reinstall windows. A copy of Windows XP installation CD can be found at the pirate bay Wink
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 16, 10:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just double check you haven't got a floppy disk in the drive and that your PC is not set to boot from floppy.

Not that that's EVER happened to me....

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

I/E NF P/J- Yah , what about it?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 16, 15:17:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

boot disk in old days was floppy disk that gave you a bit of OS to get you moving (so you could install other things..oh like an OS)

Technically if you have the original xp cd..just pop that in the drive and go. Most OS cdroms are bootable
You may need to load into bios to make sure booting from CDROM is enabled.
(usually press delete right after post beep)

If you pirate .. you need to read up on how to make a bootable cdrom for the OS you are burning to disk. This can be easy or difficult depending on the OS on the computer you are making the burn on.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 16, 18:52:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

boot disk in old days was floppy disk that gave you a bit of OS to get you moving (so you could install other things..oh like an OS)

Not just in the old days, akshully, it's current if you have to load RAID drivers during an OS install.

Still worth checking out the floppy drive first if you get that error message.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 17, 01:35:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have the XP installation disk, all I have is the Vista upgrade disks that don't work. I've found something that might work, but I'm not putting money on it. I don't use floppies EVAH so I know that's not the problem.

I don't know how to torrent, and I doubt I'll be able to torrent a whole bloody OS. Worst comes to worst I'll buy Vista. zOMG!

Or, well...I've always wanted a new computer...

ETA: I followed these instructions, and it didn't work. Fuck this shit. Srsly.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 17, 01:50:24 by Jess Maree » Logged

Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 17, 02:03:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Witch is right.

Course I was tired too when I was typing. Generally it is wonderful practice to have some version of the OS around. If this is a bought pc you might have a reinstall on a different part of the harddrive. In that case (talking like dells/compaq so on)you should have special instructions when you boot to get to that part of the harddrive.

Usually comes up during post (the beep when it turns on).

If all else fails a new OS disk of whatever flavor should work. NOTE if this was vista and you get something other than vista to install you are looking at a full format (lose all data) to get that OS on there.

Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 17, 02:08:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fuck it, I'm getting Vista. I'm sick of trying to reboot the bastard. Wait, does Microsoft still sell XP CDs? Or am I stuck with zOMG Vista?

Torrenting is not an option.

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 17, 02:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why is torrenting not an option? It's easy peasy, even I can do it! Similar to using Limewire, Napster or whatever else have you. 

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 17, 02:37:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Frankly, I'm lazy. I don't want to bother torrenting XP when I can spend about $200 on Vista.

Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 17, 02:40:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So... you'd rather waste money than spend 5 minutes learning how to torrent? $200 is ridonkulous.

Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 June 17, 03:49:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sister is very apposed to Torrenting so if I pulled XP out of my ass she'll know where I got it from. Also, I'd have to download all the programs I need to torrent and since it would be on one of her computers she'd know what I'm up to.

IF I managd to torrent XP she'll see it, tell my folks, all hell will break lose (I'm breaking the law - zOMG!) so it's just easier to get Vista.

toad
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 June 17, 04:02:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the PC came with XP, usually there's backup boot discs that come with it - are you sure they're not around somewhere?

Otherwise, don't just spend the money - talk about your problem with the person at the computer store.  They're usually pretty helpful (unless it's a big brand name place like Harvey Norman or Dick Smith) and they might be able to help you with your problem for cheaper than buying the Vista install disc.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 June 17, 04:06:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the PC came with XP, usually there's backup boot discs that come with it - are you sure they're not around somewhere?
*snort*  Mine didn't, and a lot of the pre-builts don't these days. Mine did come with a program that makes a recovery disc for you (provide your own dvd!).

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 June 17, 04:08:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The PC came with XP, but then we upgraded to Vista, so we trashed the disks. Mother didn't like Vista, so she got some techie type person who came over and put XP on it again, that's why we don't have the XP disks.

We've spent ages fixing and upgrading the shitbox, if I had my way I'd just buy a new PC. Or I'll just get Vista.

I might be getting the sister's laptop (she's "bored" with her current one and wants a new one) so I mightn't need a new desktop anyways.

Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 June 17, 04:36:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder what kind of reinstall the techy did.

At this point I am for your idea of getting Vista. I think a REAL INSTALL of an OS is the only way to fix it at this point. Who knows what jumbled amount of OS back and forth is there between Xp to update VISTA back to XP.

I wonder if a real format was ever done on this drive.

IF you do decide to get vista, I strongly suggest the cold hard format the disk option when you start the install process. Better to lose everything now then to get something half assed up and running only to crash again.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 June 17, 04:51:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If she asks, tell your sister that you borrowed XP disks from a friend or some other such story.  Lying about it is even easier than torrenting, and a child of 12 can torrent.  Coincidentally...

Torrenting does take a bit of time, depending on your intarwebz speeds.  I count on about 4-6 hours for any TS2 EP, possibly a bit less for Windoze XP, on a reasonably fast ADSL hookup.  You will want to tie up and gag your sister and dump her in the hall closet during this period.

"Honestly sis, my friend said I had to put you in the closet or she wouldn't let me borrow her XP disks."

You may need a better story than this.

Tribulatio proxima est
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 June 17, 04:59:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tell them it's part of installing the new service pack.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 June 17, 05:12:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm going to get Vista ASAP. I need my computer back, damn it! I might torrent the actual game, although the sister has the disks.

It'll be up and running before the end of the week. Thank God.

Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 June 17, 07:00:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your sister sounds like a poop-face. I second Jolrei's "dump-her-in-the-closet" suggestion.

Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 June 17, 07:08:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nah she's not a poop-face, she just doesn't like the thought of torrenting. Anyways, I prefer Vista over XP. I'm a minority, I know.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 June 17, 07:14:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I knew a guy who thought Win ME was the best operating system ever.  We thought he was weird.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2008 June 17, 08:56:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nah she's not a poop-face, she just doesn't like the thought of torrenting. Anyways, I prefer Vista over XP. I'm a minority, I know.

We ought to make a Vista fan club. I prefer it too Cheesy We can all sit in my lovely Vista chairs courtesy of J.M. Pescado.

LizzyJ
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 June 17, 09:10:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*rolls eyes* God Jess, just tell Steve to buy her a new computer so you can have hers!

My imaginary god is better than your imaginary god.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: