More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 07:05:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Stupid townie question - not the usual suspects
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Stupid townie question - not the usual suspects  (Read 13676 times)
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
Re: Stupid townie question - not the usual suspects
« Reply #25 on: 2006 July 21, 02:20:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If Kacper is Polish, then it is a proabably bad transliteration since the c probably isn't a hard k sound. Also, kack in English is unfortunate.

I'm not trying to argue with you... but a quick google search does prove the name isn't just a bad translation from Maxis. It's an actual spelling of a Polish name. Most of the NPC/Townie names are probably from Maxis employees or their relatives. I can see someone of Polish descent having a granpa Kacper.

ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 July 21, 03:06:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, he does look decent but the nose is awful.
If you use face replacement templates or one of Enyala's oily skins, he might be better-looking  Grin

Nope, not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent - at this juncture.  I'm leaving them all just the way they are.  Don't like the oily skins, anyway.  And I don't use any face replacement templates, either.  I don't think I've downloaded anything that would be considered custom content, actually.  Just mods/hacks!

I figure they're TOWNIES - they're stuck with what they have - no new clothes, no new hairstyles, nothing.  Makes it easier to find a way to take them out.

Like I said, all my sims die from old age.  I just did this to see what it would be like to have one die from the cowplant, or be hit by a satellite, or catch fire or something.  I don't want to get too attached to any of them!  I need the variety. 

The sims I create are all reasonably good-looking, anyway.  But I like having a variety of faces, like in real life.  Not all people are beautiful on the outside, but can be very much so on the inside.  So even my CAS sims may have a hook nose or a big chin.

And I have just enough frustration in my life right now, I figured it might be kind of therapeutic.  I've been playing Strangetown, too, and I couldn't wait for PT 9 to die - what a waste of pixels!

And just FYI - that nose is similar to many in my family.

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 July 21, 07:05:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If Kacper is Polish, then it is a proabably bad transliteration since the c probably isn't a hard k sound. Also, kack in English is unfortunate.

Polaks use the Latin alphabet, there is no transliteration. A Polish C has a ʦ sound, so the name is pronounced similar to Katsper.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 July 21, 12:52:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I have just enough frustration in my life right now, I figured it might be kind of therapeutic.  I've been playing Strangetown, too, and I couldn't wait for PT 9 to die - what a waste of pixels!

Ah, he's a good cook, so you can just have him crank out food for the rest of the family until he goes to the great bit bucket... Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 July 21, 15:31:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there is a latinate alphabet for Polish, but there are a number of sounds represented by letters with accents. Your spelling of how you think the word should be pronounced indicates this. That was my point, essentially.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 July 21, 17:42:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there is a latinate alphabet for Polish, but there are a number of sounds represented by letters with accents. Your spelling of how you think the word should be pronounced indicates this. That was my point, essentially.

A language using an extended Latin alphabet is still using the Latin alphabet. Kacper does not contain diacritics even in the original form (Kaćper doesn't exist, would be pronounced Katschper I guess—English doesn't have the sound represented by ć (IPA ʨ) afaik.) And in fact the Polish c is closer to the 'zz' from 'pizza' (IPA ʦ, or more accurately t͡s ) so 'Katsper' is an approximation.

Still, it's not called transliteration since Polish doesn't use Cyrillic or similar.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 July 21, 20:43:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the OED, transliterate (v): 

trans. To replace (letters or characters of one language) by those of another used to represent the same sounds; to write (a word, etc.) in the characters of another alphabet. Hence trans{sm}literated ppl. a.

Nothing about specific languages or alphabets here. You keep making my point, and saying I am wrong. If the Polish c without any accents sounds more like z or s, then writing it as a c in English leads to a mispronunciation, and is a transliteration error.

Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 July 22, 18:35:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm really dumbfounded that you're arguing this issue when the name is obviously one that is not uncommon in Poland. As I said before, a quick Google search turns up several sites with info about people named Kacper. How is that bad transliteration?

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 July 22, 22:25:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 July 23, 04:00:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Names are written contrary to the way they are pronounced either because that's how it's written in the original language, or because they *WANT* to make it look foreign. Supposedly, having a foreign-looking name makes you look exotic and aids in the attraction of mates. Insert Polish joke here.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 July 23, 04:47:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Polish aunt. She went from being a Kataleski to a Baggesen (Norwegian) to a Mantegna (Italian). Her mother told her, "You should have found a Smith, honey."

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2006 July 23, 10:37:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Insert Polish joke here.

Say- 'Polish it behind the kitchen door' - 10 times fast Tongue

ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 July 23, 14:03:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just back on-topic for a sec.

I started another townie-only town on my other account and got the usual group.  When I created it, I didn't add any NL or OFB subhoods, just UNI. 

(I had started a new PV and ST after I got OFB, and theirs are the usual, plus those that come from the subhoods.)

You may resume your name discussion.  Just wanted to update!

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
Cyberdodo
FURRY!
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 July 24, 02:16:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This may seem like an odd question, but why is it that a new neighborhood only gets either the Pleasantview townies or sort-of-randomly generated ones?  It might be interesting if we could somehow get the game to generate the Veronaville or Strangetown townies instead for a custom neighborhood.

Slap a man silly with a fish, and he'll smell like fish for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he'll go to the bait & tackle store, and stop bothering you.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 July 24, 14:41:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't they get the same townies anyway? I remember seeing the standard crew show up in Strangetown for the meet and greet (Marisa Bendett, Benjamin Long, and ... one of the other standards whose name I'm forgetting).

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 July 24, 15:25:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A new 'hood gets the Pleasantview Posse because it is hardcoded to copy the N001 townies to new 'hoods. If you replace your copy of the 'hood in the game install folder with N002 or N003, the game will probably import those.
If you clean out the N001 folder it will presumably not copy any townies.

N002 has some same names but the townies are slightly different, same for N003.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: