More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 11:41:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Graphics improvement with OFB
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Graphics improvement with OFB  (Read 8272 times)
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
Graphics improvement with OFB
« on: 2006 March 04, 19:34:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I noticed that the graphics for nVidia cards, or at least mine (GeForce 6800 Ultra) were improved by at least one way with the new expansion pack: I got object specularity back. I lost it after installing Nightlife, and no set of drivers that I tried brought it back. But it seems that issue has been fixed in Open For Business, which I'm happy about. So far I have no complaints about the graphics with the new EP.

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Graphics improvement with OFB
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 04, 19:38:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes same here.  If you look at your .config.txt files located in your logs folder you will notice that the game will show your computer to have higher specs than it does in reality.  I guess it is they way they found so graphics will show properly.
Ashleigh
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 04, 19:38:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not as card-literate as you, obviously, but I have a Radeon 9250 that I got right after I got Nightlife - I was operating on a 16MB integrated card before that, and woo, it was like seeing for the first time. When I booted up OFB, the first thing I noticed was that my graphics were more crisp and clear, and the snaps I took had a better quality as well.
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 04, 19:39:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here, I am using the 6800 and NL was reallly fucked up for the high end Nvidia cards.

I play with everything maxxed again as opposed to just med or low settings on most things.

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 04, 19:46:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes same here.  If you look at your .config.txt files located in your logs folder you will notice that the game will show your computer to have higher specs than it does in reality.  I guess it is they way they found so graphics will show properly.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Not sure what all that listed information means, though. There is something about bumpmapping that's set to "false" in the global settings, but in another place it's listed as "true". I will have to make sure the bumpmaps are still working. They did not work with University.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 04, 19:48:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah same here with me and my 5600/256MB. I'm seeing texture detail that was lost before.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 04, 21:54:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, the bump maps are still working, thank goodness.

anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 04, 22:42:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

my graphics suddenly became stunning (well in comparison to what they have been lately...it's all relative )
but what OfB does seem to have done is stop the stupid neighbourhood view glitch i had with lots which had had terrain levels altered and those with basements
i have yet to test this out with my own builds, but certainly Downtown shows no sign of it when scrolling around. i am a pretty happy bunny
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 05, 00:27:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still find sometimes when I'm scrolling a bit away from the lot that insteadof just a bit, it seems to go a long way from where I want to be - I think it's when there are hills behind the lot.  the only way I could stop it before was if I turned off neighbourhood view.

Zephyr Zodiac
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 05, 13:54:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So what you're saying is that objects don't appear to be as flat after you've installed Open For Business?
Any improvements on the rendering side of the game would be welcome for sure. It looks nice with Nightlife but sometimes things just appear to be flat (not bumpmapped).

Instant gratification takes too long.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 05, 16:15:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So what you're saying is that objects don't appear to be as flat after you've installed Open For Business?
Any improvements on the rendering side of the game would be welcome for sure. It looks nice with Nightlife but sometimes things just appear to be flat (not bumpmapped).

If you're asking me, what I meant that the object have shininess to them again. When you move around, the surfaces "shine" differently at different angles. With Nightlife they were the same matte surface all the time.

Very few objects have bump maps to them, although some do. It's mostly the clothing where you'll notice the bump maps (but not all clothing has bump maps, either).

Braveheart
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 05, 16:26:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an Nvidia FX5200 here and have found a great improvement in my graphics with OFB. Its a real relief after all the issues I had with the install of Nightlife. Good stuff!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 March 05, 16:46:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This may be reason enough for me to go ahead and get this ep NOW.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 March 05, 17:35:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah same here with me and my 5600/256MB. I'm seeing texture detail that was lost before.

I've got that one also and was happily surprised by the improvements. Sometimes I'll scan over the lots just to ooh and aah over the fine details. "Look at that! I can see the texture on her jeans!" Tongue Silly I know but I like stuff like that.
sanmonroe
Circus Freak
Lipless Loser

Hates Furries.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 March 05, 19:42:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, its worth it just for the fixed code for graphics.

When you do something because of the internet that is wrong.
When you make love to a man in a giraffe outfit.
When you discover you masterbated online to a picture of a relative.

Webcest.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 March 05, 19:46:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I'm reading, the number of bugs far outweighs the graphic enhancements. I'm not jumping for this EP right away like I did with NightLife. Man, what a hassle that was.

trancejeremy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 March 06, 00:12:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While I'm not saying OFB isnt' buggy (though I've really only run into the Orb-lot not loading bug, which is fixed easily), the improvements really are dramatic. I was despairing at how badly my computer was running NL, I was thinking about getting another video card or possibly another computer.

Not only are the graphics better, they run much smoother. I was getting horrible lag on my 6600 GT any time I had more than 7-8 sims on the screen (no matter what the graphic settings). Now it runs great.

So if you have a Nvidia card, OFB should definitely be a purchase, bugs or not.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 March 06, 00:29:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to agree (and I too have NVidia the GEforce FX 5200) that graphics are much better overall, but at present I have hardly any downloads in, so maybe that's part of the difference.  But loading time is phenomenal at present!

Zephyr Zodiac
sunkitten
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 March 06, 09:28:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having the opposite problem with my Radeon 9600 (new card, just installed a week and a half ago)... things are less clear than they were, and become incredibly blurry at the highest settings. My computer has 1 gb of RAM, but it's an older one with an Athlon 1800+ processor. I don't know whether updating drivers will fix it, but hope so, since I can't afford a better computer for a while.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 March 06, 11:27:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OFB cleared up the polygon spike problem I had on the neighborhood screen with any lot that had any elevation changes or ponds and would cause the entire computer to crash if I scrolled around with a spike on the screen. I've finally been able to look at the default downtown!
Things in general look pretty good, maybe a bit better than with NL - however, I am having a problem with some of the lighting. Not sure if I have a lingering lighting mod or not that is causing problems, but with the 60 simolean overhead light it cast light, but the light itself was black and objects in the room were dark, as if the room was unlit. That was a lot I just made, though, and I was having other problems with it.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 March 06, 12:50:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used that spotligt thing too, and it didn't seem to work properly.  The wall spotlights seem ok though.

Zephyr Zodiac
speedreader
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 March 06, 13:45:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am having virtual memory issues since loading OFB and changing the setting back to medium neighborhood view. I have the Radeon 9000 and suspect I may need a new card AND more ram! (Currently 512 MB).  Ah, the price of Sims...
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 March 06, 20:18:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OFB cleared up the polygon spike problem I had on the neighborhood screen with any lot that had any elevation changes or ponds and would cause the entire computer to crash if I scrolled around with a spike on the screen. I've finally been able to look at the default downtown!
Things in general look pretty good, maybe a bit better than with NL - however, I am having a problem with some of the lighting. Not sure if I have a lingering lighting mod or not that is causing problems, but with the 60 simolean overhead light it cast light, but the light itself was black and objects in the room were dark, as if the room was unlit. That was a lot I just made, though, and I was having other problems with it.

It is more than likely the light mod. Many of the light definitions were not completed. The ceiling lights (many of them) did the same thing to me as well. I removed the mod and regained my sanity.

birene
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 March 06, 21:19:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Strange, sunkitten, I also have a Radeon 9600 and the graphics have improved significantly (although there might be a problem with neighbothood view, if left alone for to long --> crash?). It was kind of funny how I noticed, I don't pay attention to the details so often, but suddendly my furniture looked so strange... What the hell is it with that armorie? Zooming in, oh, wow, a highly defined shadow.  Cheesy

(My Processor is a AMD 64 3200+ though, don't know if that makes the difference.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: