More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 12, 09:08:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What do YOU do with your platinum people?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What do YOU do with your platinum people?  (Read 40026 times)
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: What do YOU do with your platinum people?
« Reply #25 on: 2005 September 27, 06:02:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes and until they fix it in a patch, do not "ask" another sim anything unless you wish to be romantic with that sim.

Learned that one the hard way.  Tongue

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 September 27, 06:18:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know, what the hell's up with that? And who would go up to anyone, potential date or not, and ask "how much money do you make?", anyway?
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2005 September 27, 07:11:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes and until they fix it in a patch, do not "ask" another sim anything unless you wish to be romantic with that sim.

Learned that one the hard way.  Tongue

Yep, kind of stupid--reminds me of how in TS1 if your sim paid a compliment to another it was considered a romantic interaction.  I was so happy they remedied that in TS2 then was completely mortified to see the whole 'ask' thing in NL is viewed as a romantic interaction!

Another thing I've seen that's really dumb is that when a sim has a 2-bolt attraction to another sim and that sim visits them, then when they tell that sim good-bye they stand there and suck face for a half-sim-hour even though they've never had any romantic interactions with each other in their lives, before the visiting sim leaves.

Ah well--I'm getting too tired--I'm starting to sound absolutely snarky here!

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 September 27, 07:17:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are quite a few added elements to be considered, that's for sure. But the way it is now, romance sims, or, rather, "successful" romance sims, can not go on a date downtown, lest they be slapped by all 40 sims they have bedded, who, of course, are also out for a rousing night of karaoke. They must stick to backyard barbeques for the time being. And a game of myshuno, perhaps, if they're feeling really crazy.

That one sounded like so much fun I had to test it! Smiley

I sent one of my "high body count" romance Sims to a neighborhood community lot and invited her next conquest to join her there on a date.  As long as everything was platonic none of the three other loves who were already on the lot seemed to mind.  But as soon as she did slow dance/head on shoulder one of the other Sims came over and slapped her silly.

This is only one test and isn't conclusive (there were some oddities with the lot:  I couldn't select any destination on the ground level of the lot, was the big swimming pool in Strangetown), but as long as you restrict the flirting to after you invite your date back home it looks like it's ok.

If anyone else has other experience, like simply showing up at a lot with a date causing a round of slapping, please let me know.  I know I've read about such things here, but need more info.

Obligatory on-topic text:  She was a vampire Sim (all needs green all the time) and was permanent platinum. Cheesy

Hook

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 September 27, 07:23:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another thing I've seen that's really dumb is that when a sim has a 2-bolt attraction to another sim and that sim visits them, then when they tell that sim good-bye they stand there and suck face for a half-sim-hour even though they've never had any romantic interactions with each other in their lives, before the visiting sim leaves.

This one caused me a small problem.  I had a Sim I was about to send off to college and wanted her to be in platinum, so she asked one of her best friends over for a date.  Nothing romantic was done during the date, and by the time she was full platinum and ended the date (at Good rating), the other Sim told her goodbye very physically (a long round of tonsil hockey) and instant crush.

Then next day when the Had a Good Time note arrived in the mailbox, she was gone and her father got the note.  You'd think he was the one who had gone on the date from his reaction!

Hook

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2005 September 27, 08:02:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I heard somewhere that if an elder sim becomes unfit and doesn't do much i.e: participate in living in general, than I think they may shuffle off their mortal coil a bit younger than expected.

I was under the impression that a sim's aspiration level as they transition to the next age tier was what determined how many days that tier lasts.

The first one is definitely wrong, I think, although it ought to be right.  As far as the second is concerned, I thought that at one time but apparently it also depends on how many of their wants and fears are realised, at least in terms of major ones.  This presumably means that by ignoring the wants of perma-plat Sims for the majority of their adult lives will shorten the amount of time they have as elders.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, of course.

As far as the dating jealousy is concerned, I think this must depend on the other Sim concerned.  Heather Huffington (the tart) had a date with one guy and did very well, although no crush or anything as they'd only been acquaintances at the start.  They made it to friends I think, but that's all.  She then called another guy on her mobile and as soon as he arrived the first guy came over and slapped her silly.  The stupidest thing in this scenario, of course (and it happens all the time) is that the new guy didn't bat an eyelid.  No reduction in relationship here at all.  Another case in point was last night when a recently graduated female was canoodling with her recently-acquired fiance.  An old guy she developed a crush on years back (which had turned into love somehow) appeared from nowhere and bashed her one . No reaction from the fiance.  No "Er, Lillian love, why is that guy slapping you?"  This makes no sense. 

What I want to say is an option to remove these crush and old love hearts in game rather than in SimPE, or some way of them disappearing after the relationship drops to a certain level like they used to in TS1.  I have loads of Sims getting "Had 2 Loves at Once" and more because of relationships with people they haven't even spoken to for a decade!  It even happens when they're minus in their relationships due to finding the "first love" cheating (in other words, no longer together), all because they still have a red heart in lifetime. 

Sorry, appear to have gone right off topic (again).

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 September 27, 12:08:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the permanent platinum myself.  Even with that, I still find myself trying to meet my sim's wants.  After all, why should they suffer just because they are platinum, right?

One problem with that is that you can get in an infinite loop.  I'm sure you know about the Entertain / Appreciate / Tickle loop that any Sim can get into, but which is particularly common for Family sims.  Prior to permanent platinum, maxing out the aspiration meter gives you a stopping point for a sim in that loop pestering another.  On occasion I'll take steps to fufill the non-social wants of a platinum sim, but generally I don't because it feels empty without the feedback of filling the meter.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 September 27, 12:21:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are quite a few added elements to be considered, that's for sure. But the way it is now, romance sims, or, rather, "successful" romance sims, can not go on a date downtown, lest they be slapped by all 40 sims they have bedded, who, of course, are also out for a rousing night of karaoke. They must stick to backyard barbeques for the time being. And a game of myshuno, perhaps, if they're feeling really crazy.

If anyone else has other experience, like simply showing up at a lot with a date causing a round of slapping, please let me know.  I know I've read about such things here, but need more info.

Hook

That's exactly the scenario I was describing. Any of my successful romance sims (high body count, as you put it lol) who called a date to ask her out, was slapped immediately upon getting out of the car downtown. Every time. And like Ancient Sim said, the date didn't bat an eyelash. I think I would have to question why my date was slapped by all these women, but that's just me. Guess I'm a stickler for details.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2005 September 27, 14:05:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I often put my permaplats in a second career (once they've reached the top of the first) to give them something else to shoot for. Since they're fairly broke, though, you probably don't want to do that Tongue I also have them paint for money and try to max out all skills. They also sometimes become stay-at-home parents if they have children or younger...it's always easier if there's someone at home to play red hands with the kids when they come home from school and boost the toddlers to platinum before they age.

Oh, and I don't think the "v" sign over the spouse's head is a sign of infidelity...I've had newly-created CAS couples do that. It might have to do with playfulness?

Jen

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
linolino
Exasperating Eyesore

Linosim

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 September 27, 14:13:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

so, people are starting to get bored with the easiness that is to get sims in platinum mood!

i think that permanet platinum is great.

I mean, it would be great if it was hard for normal sims to achieve or at least keep the platinum mood.

however it's quite the opposite: it's very easy to get sims in platinum mood, so permanent platinum almost doesn't make a difference in my game.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 September 27, 16:00:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

it's very easy to get sims in platinum mood, so permanent platinum almost doesn't make a difference in my game.

It's very easy to get *some* Sims in platuinum and keep them there, harder for others.  Normally my Sims are in platinum most of the time.  I send popularity Sims to college and they may be out of platinum 3 times during the whole Uni experience.  But try a new pleasure Sim from CAS in college and don't have them start dating right away.  The first pleasure Sim I played was like that and I had to struggle to keep her in gold.  She only hit platinum a few times.  Hint:  pleasure Sims need dates. Smiley

The boredom comes in when you have Sims permanent platinum and all their skills maxed and all their friends relationships in the 90's, which isn't that difficult even without any hacks.  Without any long term goals to work towards, there's no "default" action when they have free time.  Might as well buy them a bubble blower just to keep them busy.

Hook

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005 September 27, 16:11:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perma Plat is kind of boring in regular play, but it's great in Legacy families. "Perma plat? THANK GOD. I never have to worry about you again!"

Yep, once my elder sims were in Perma Plat in my Legacy family I was like thank goodness, now you can play that guitar/drumset/bass until your fingers fall off, for all I care and I can focus on the rest of the family. I also use JM's lot debugger to reroll their LTWs and had them switch careers if I could (some sims have one LTW and when it's done, they don't get another one in its place). But as Hook said, if they are in Perma Plat and have all their skills, high relationship scores, it's hard to keep them interesting.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 September 27, 16:57:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I kill them off  Cheesy

You could also make an old folks home and drop several of them in there to rot away.

Instant gratification takes too long.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #38 on: 2005 September 27, 17:12:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, and I don't think the "v" sign over the spouse's head is a sign of infidelity...I've had newly-created CAS couples do that. It might have to do with playfulness?

Jen

That is my thought as well.  Kids do that when having their pictures taken; giving someone "rabbit ears".
Witches
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2005 September 27, 17:17:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually make them go through an entirely different career, first, if they have career-based aspirations. That keeps them interesting, longer. I agree they lose some of their appeal when they're permanent plat.

I guess it depends on the plans I have for a sim. If I don't like a sim I'm more likely to let them achieve their goals because then I don't have to worry about them anymore ...

I have a set of triplets, based on the Triplets of Belleville, whom I plan to let get old once they reach permanent platinum. I want to keep them alive, as elders, as long as possible, and I think permanent plat will help with that. They're destined to be my neighborhood wise women/witches, just like in the movie ...

If a sim wants woohoo with 20 sims, and it works out, fine. But 20 lovers at once, forget it. 20 best friends is more doable but still not that likely.

I maxxed out skills for a couple in my old hood. It was a lot of work. Now I let sims practice skills when they're in the green, mood wise, but I don't push it. If they want to play pool instead, no problem ...

So ... it helps to have a plan. What do you want the sim to achieve? How much do you like them? How much do you like watching them struggle?  Wink

I think the rabbit ears means playful, too ...

Visit The Sims 2 Writer's Block for stories about the sims.
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005 September 27, 17:47:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think those screens mean those things either.  I mean, in a household of eight, I might have only one of the couples snuggled up in the load screen, but in the house itself, you can't stop everyone from serenading, hugging, making out, etc.  Suckers are all over each other.

In any case, permaplat elders are good for several things in my opinion: they can watch the kids--I often set them to wake up at 3pm, and it generally works out that someone is always awake to feed the baby/toddler, teach, whatever.  If they show no desire to retire, then I leave them working, unless...one of the adult parents needs a job to obtain a LTW, in which case, they retire instead.

Of course, LizzLove's waterbed is fantastic for letting them fulfill their whoohoo wants autonomously (so long as I use some kind of security to prevent mismatches in bed).
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 September 27, 17:54:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jen

That is my thought as well.  Kids do that when having their pictures taken; giving someone "rabbit ears".

That's what I was saying above. Gali, where did you hear that it meant infidelity? Sounds like a sim urban legend, to me.
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2005 September 27, 19:04:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I too find Perma Plat makes Sims less fun to play. I do try to keep them useful though. Once a Sim has maxed skills, maxed job, and is Perma Plat they basically become household staff. They cook, clean, garden, babysit kids (including encouraging personality traits and training them on skills) and basically do whatever else I can think of to keep everyone else in the house happy. When not busy I turn 'em loose and let them amuse themselves. They only problem with this is that now my non-plat Sims have so few distractions towards achieving their goals it has become even easier to make them perma-plat.
I guess too much efficiency is a bad thing?

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005 September 27, 19:34:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the intention of the fingers in a V behind another Sim's head is the playful "bunny ears" thing, but I seemed to remember that it had an old connection to infidelity.  Looked it up on Wikipedia, and guess what?

'"Bunny ears" - Curled index and middle fingers, palm away from the signer, usually used singularly. When used jocularly (behind someone's head in a photograph, for example), they can be straight as well as curled. In Italy, Spain and Portugal, raising the two fingers behind someone's head can sign "donkey ears" (a metaphor for stupidity) or the very offensive corna (the horns of a cuckold), suggesting the victim's partner has been unfaithful.'

Taken from a larger article entilted "V Sign," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign

Phyllis

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
babylon
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2005 September 27, 19:44:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PermaPlat are excellent resources for the rest of the family....the SimVac!

Send all your other Sims off to work or school in platinum by cannibalizing granddad

You broke his damn ankle, Jack.

He shouldna been playing with adults.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005 September 27, 21:30:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PermaPlat are excellent resources for the rest of the family....the SimVac!

Send all your other Sims off to work or school in platinum by cannibalizing granddad

HA! I never thought of that: An elderly zoo where the kids can suck aspiration from the old folks.  Tongue

Instant gratification takes too long.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005 September 27, 23:58:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmm...  now that I think about it...  I'm almost quite tempted to stop getting LTWs for my sims...  If they've got a career want, keep them out of that career!

might make me keep interested in my elders a little longer - particulary when I've actually found some decent looking clothes for them...

*sigh*

if I ever get my computer working again!

Ness
BeckerCheez
Irritating Ignoramus

'cause I don't have anything else...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 2005 September 28, 00:09:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh oh, I have several Sims portraits that have the infamous "bunny ear" signs  Sad  It's funny because one Sim family I have, the wife constantly cheats on her husband, and the man she's cheating with is an elder ex-maid.  And *gasp* there's the bunny ears!  Cheesy

I've also had Sims reach lifetime platnum halfway through adult because they had gone to college and reached the top of their careers faster.  I have two alien half-brother/cousins that are both ltw platnum and criminal masterminds.   Grin  They're kinda dull though, but I guess that's why they and their families live in the same house. 

Poster Formerly Known as Chee-Z
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2005 September 28, 09:09:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still haven't installed University and have often wondered about the point of PermaPlat.
Obviously it will be extremely useful in the Email Challenge, but I'm very boring, so most of my Sims are platinum their entire lives anyway.
They usually max all skills and top several careers as well, or just play in them until they get the reward. The only time I've used a SimVac on a resident was to let grandpa - knowledge Sim who'd done it all several times and wanted only things that took longer than he had, vac his grandaughter so he could get the Gold Tombstone. She plagarized his novel, so she deserved it.

I suppose PermaPlat could reduce micromanagement and I could stop frantically searching for things to spend those 350-500,000 Asp points before they die. Smiley

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2005 September 28, 10:49:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Italy, Spain and Portugal, raising the two fingers behind someone's head can sign "donkey ears" (a metaphor for stupidity) or the very offensive corna (the horns of a cuckold), suggesting the victim's partner has been unfaithful.'
Phyllis

Add Greece to that list too. So as I see it, in mediterranean countries it signifies cheating more often than stupidity, whereas in Scandinavia (well, at least in Sweden as I know from personal experience) it's the opposite: signifies stupidity rather than cheating.

Let the Beast inside you free!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: