More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 04:40:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  STOP ASKING TO BE READ TOO!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: STOP ASKING TO BE READ TOO!  (Read 13148 times)
ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
STOP ASKING TO BE READ TOO!
« on: 2006 January 17, 18:43:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There has to be a mod somewhere that prevents children from asking to be read to. I already have one for the adults, but I'm growing so tired off the brats beelining for a adult and asking to be read too. What makes it more annoying is even if you cancel the query of the kid and adult, for some reason Maxis decided to make it so the adult query comes back and zoom, off they go wasting time getting a book.

For sanity, there must be a hack, or children will burn.

DEATH TO UGLY BEAGLE DOGS!
WALMART IS THE DEVIL!!!!!
I DEMAND THE FIERY DEATH OF CRYING BABIES!
Do us a favor? DIE, GO TO HEAVEN, STFU!
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Re: STOP ASKING TO BE READ TOO!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 17, 18:47:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Get rid of bookcases altogether, and get Monique's hacked computer.  They can learn skills using that.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 17, 20:00:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah! Screw reading!  Wink

I agree that it's annoying. My Sim kids used to play every day after school to get their fun up, but I got that homework sometimes hack, so now they're usually plat. So all the want is to be read to now. Go clean something!

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 17, 20:02:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't buy enough entertaiment objects, that's why they ask to be read to.

My sim kids ask seldom to be read to - because the house is full of playing stuff:  swing, bowling alley, pinball machines, dart boards, etc.

The most attractive object is the dart board, especially when they play or watch their parents playing. I send them each morning, before scholl, to watch or join the play at the dart board. This increases the relationship points among the family members.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 17, 20:34:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TO:
Function: preposition
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English tO; akin to Old High German zuo to, Latin donec as long as, until
1 a -- used as a function word to indicate movement or an action or condition suggestive of movement toward a place, person, or thing reached <drove to the city> <went back to the original idea>

TOO:
Function: adverb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English tO to, too -- more at TO
1 : BESIDES, ALSO <sell the house and furniture too>
2 a : to an excessive degree : EXCESSIVELY <too large a house for us> b : to such a degree as to be regrettable <this time he has gone too far> c : VERY <didn't seem too interested>
3 : SO 2d <"I didn't do it." "You did too."> 
seven
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 17, 20:46:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd have to agree with gali -that's how it works in my game. The more fun stuff the less attention the kids need. I hadn't really thought about it before until I had one house with no games and the child was constantly asking to be read to. It got annoying so I added a pinball machine and that was all he needed.

I guess that's how real life is too. Hmmm.

Just accept that it is smarter than you, and let it do its thing.   ~guess who
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 17, 21:49:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not in my life.  There is nothing like being read to by someone who does it well.  When it's really good it's like magic.

I still remember taking an english class some 20+ years back (ouch).  I think it was called introduction to fairy tales.  In one particular class, the teacher was reading to us.  It was incredibly soothing.  It must have had the same effect on the class, because you could have heard a pin drop.  She probably noticed our dazed look, because she stopped and asked if we would prefer to finish on our own and the whole class all protested at once that we wanted her to continue... and meant it.

Not sure what it is....something half remembered from childhood?  But being read to is great.
FreakyRufus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 17, 21:54:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well then how about a mod that makes the fun gained from being read to dependent on the charisma of the reader?
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 17, 22:58:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well then how about a mod that makes the fun gained from being read to dependent on the charisma of the reader?

thats a really good idea!!

when I was in school I always hated reading outloud so I learned how to read using the right tone of voice to bore everyone to tears...teachers learned quick not to call on me to read outloud  Grin
FreakyRufus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 17, 23:40:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thats a really good idea!!

when I was in school I always hated reading outloud so I learned how to read using the right tone of voice to bore everyone to tears...teachers learned quick not to call on me to read outloud  Grin

Heh!  So, a sim with 0 charisma could decrease the fun of the listner, while a 10 would increase it on par with kicking stuff.  How's that sound?
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 17, 23:56:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's see. . .I thought there was a hack that did something sortof like what you're asking for, hummmm, (looks through my hacks folder)  I have one called "NoAutonomyReadTo.package."  I think I got it from Two Jeffs, but it could have been Inge's.  I'm so sorry not to give the correct person the credit, guys, I just forget where I download stuff.  Sad

As to reading to children:  I read to pre-k children as part of my job, and I found out I have a skill for it.  Smiley  My favorite book to read to kids is "Green Eggs and Ham", because I know it soooo well, I can do the voices and yell at "Sam I Am" in an angry, sped up sort of way, "I will not eat them in a boat, I will not eat them with a goat!"  that makes the kids ROFL.  (Think of it as an impression of JMP on speed)  My mother had purchased the book for my kids for Christmas, and told me fondly, "Remember how your father used to read it to you, real-fast, with that mean voice?"  I hadn't remembered until she mentioned it, but that's exactly how I read it to the schoolkids.  Weird, huh?  Wink
seven
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 18, 02:30:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not in my life.  There is nothing like being read to by someone who does it well.  When it's really good it's like magic.

I still remember taking an english class some 20+ years back (ouch).  I think it was called introduction to fairy tales.  In one particular class, the teacher was reading to us.  It was incredibly soothing.  It must have had the same effect on the class, because you could have heard a pin drop.  She probably noticed our dazed look, because she stopped and asked if we would prefer to finish on our own and the whole class all protested at once that we wanted her to continue... and meant it.

Not sure what it is....something half remembered from childhood?  But being read to is great.

I agree with you, although no one ever reads to me. It can be enjoyable, though, I'm sure. I guess I was thinking how some [not all] kids prefer [or think they prefer] a video game to "reading". And some [not all] parents give their kids toys instead of spending quality time which could be for some [not all] a choice or not a choice. Maybe or then again maybe not.

My life is now changed for the better and I will seek out an adult to read to me immediately. Thank you.
 Wink Cheesy

Just accept that it is smarter than you, and let it do its thing.   ~guess who
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 18, 03:11:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO DO, then. It's a fact of life that the moment you leave a sim unattended with no work to do, he'll start doing useless, stupid stuff. Always keep their queues full of something to be doing. And I recommend playing with Free Will Off if you get tired of overruling their stupid stuff. And remember, kicking flamingos and gnomes is the SPORT OF KINGS.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
themaltesebippy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 18, 20:46:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SIR

May I interest you in something that will prevent sims from ever being annoying again?

This will change your life, I guarantee it!

Please buy my product.*

*not only a convert but also the high priestess!
Issy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 18, 21:35:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

^^^^

Good one  Grin

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction".  ~Antoine de Exupery
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 19, 05:07:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually get my kids smustling till they all need to pee and shower, after which they usually fall asleep on the sofa until it's time to wake them and send them to bed!

Zephyr Zodiac
bloodstainedkisses
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 January 19, 08:56:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is the exact reason I play with Free Will off! If I don't, my sims annoy me for AGES about stupid things. o_o

But with it off, I control all their moves, which is really fine by me. ^^

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 January 19, 09:42:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's see. . .I thought there was a hack that did something sortof like what you're asking for, hummmm, (looks through my hacks folder)  I have one called "NoAutonomyReadTo.package."  I think I got it from Two Jeffs, but it could have been Inge's.  I'm so sorry not to give the correct person the credit, guys, I just forget where I download stuff.  Sad

thats one of Inges and it's one I'm very happy to have even if it dosen't stop the kids from asking to be read to. Usually I keep them all busy enough so the kids rarely get a chance to ask  Wink   

I perfer free will on...
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 January 19, 12:53:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I went into a new lot a little while back and couldn't make out why everyone just stood around looking helpless - then I checked, and for some reason free will was off!  I never play that way, even in sims 1 I had far too many sims not go to work because I didn't remember to tell them to go!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 January 19, 13:12:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims still automatically go to work in their carpool even if free will is off, unless their carpool is a helicopter or you assign them to a car.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2006 January 19, 15:36:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does reading to a toddler or child produce any hidden results (like make them smarter), or is it pure entertainment? 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 January 19, 15:38:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It does not appear to provide any benefits at all of any kind. It just wastes everyone's time for absolutely no real gain.

simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 January 19, 16:29:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It does not appear to provide any benefits at all of any kind. It just wastes everyone's time for absolutely no real gain.

Aw...but it looks so cute!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 January 19, 16:47:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims still automatically go to work in their carpool even if free will is off, unless their carpool is a helicopter or you assign them to a car.

Guess I'm remembering how they didn't in sims1!

Zephyr Zodiac
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 January 19, 21:18:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not in the base game.

I just assumed the icon would still pop up in their queue and they would head off, but nothing comes up in their queue unless I send them to it. They'll happily skip work/school and not even know they've missed it.

Of course having the base game only also means I don't have a lot of the awesome hacks that may make that so.

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: