More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 05, 08:12:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540273 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Not sure if this is an annoyance or just plain broken, but...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Not sure if this is an annoyance or just plain broken, but...  (Read 14729 times)
webwench
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Not sure if this is an annoyance or just plain broken, but...
« on: 2006 May 23, 11:12:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My mom and dad sims seem to die before the kids come back from college and the money they've earned goes *poof* into the nothingness of simland, leaving the kidlets with whatever they'd earned at college.

Is this broken, or do I need to request a hack for automatic inheritance? 

Thanks!!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Not sure if this is an annoyance or just plain broken, but...
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 23, 11:32:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is standard behavior, if a household disintegrates, the Government claims the estate. There dosen't appear to be any actual inheritance in the game. Otherwise we could start assessing inheritance taxes on it. Tongue

As for why your sims are dying before the kids can return from college, I sincerely hope you're not trying to play it as 1 normal day : 1 uni day, that's a bad ratio.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 23, 12:04:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Students do seem to actually gain the money earned from inheritances after the death of a relative - even if they are in college.  I usually use a place holder sim if the parents are going to die before the kids return from college - as sucky as it is, there's no other option.
webwench
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 23, 12:17:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bleh, crappy.  And no, JM, I'm not playing it like that Wink I just apparently have bad luck with old people.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 23, 12:54:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this broken, or do I need to request a hack for automatic inheritance? 

One work-around is to get Monique's enhanced computers over on MTS2.  One of their functions is 'online banking', so the parents could setup accounts for the kids and give away most of their cash before they go to the great bit bucket in the sky.  It stays in the 'bank' (and even draws interest) until the kids pull it out.

Another work-around is to use Pescado's 'Money Order' found here to send money to the kids via mail.  In this case, though, you'd have to make sure the kids spend the money on big ticket items and stick those items in their inventory before they graduate, or they'd lose the money they got (also true for insurance payments -- in fact, any money earned at college). I usually use the inventory so a college grad could spend the rest of their grants before leaving to buy some basic stuff to stock their house when they get back to the main hood.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 May 23, 13:02:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another work-around is to use Pescado's 'Money Order' found here to send money to the kids via mail.  In this case, though, you'd have to make sure the kids spend the money on big ticket items and stick those items in their inventory before they graduate, or they'd lose the money they got (also true for insurance payments -- in fact, any money earned at college). I usually use the inventory so a college grad could spend the rest of their grants before leaving to buy some basic stuff to stock their house when they get back to the main hood.
If you have "No 20K Handouts", the money is not lost: A portion of it equal to 1/N, where N is the number of residents presently on the lot, is taken and used as your starting "out of college" money, instead of the free 20K handout. This even division of the funds based on this proportion may or may not be what you wish, but you can just money-order the funds from there if you have remaining residents. If you don't have remaining residents, well, 1/1 is all of it.

If that doesn't turn out to be enough to buy a house, well, TOO FRIKKEN BAD. You think everyone is entitled to a house? Hell, no. People who can't afford housing wind up sleeping in the STREETS. That, or moving in with someone else.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 May 23, 13:17:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just get the last one returning from college to send all the surplus money back to the others and stick all the expensive objects in their inventory.  But my parents are so chock full of elixir they usually are the same age as the returning graduates! (And if the kids move into their own lot, I have to remember to turn aging off or they end up older than their parents!)

Zephyr Zodiac
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 May 23, 14:40:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With no 20k handouts installed, my poor grads only have a good 5k-9k to buy a house. Its good to make them struggle a bit. Wink
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 May 23, 15:35:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, but if you move another one in they get more money anyway.  And they do need a computer or they're stuck with the jobs in the paper, and it can take forever for their LTW career to show up!

And two of mine have businesses anyway, so they just need to go to the business once and they can start raking in the cash.  (Though why they have to do that just beats me!)

Zephyr Zodiac
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 May 23, 15:53:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With no 20k handouts installed, my poor grads only have a good 5k-9k to buy a house. Its good to make them struggle a bit. Wink

I go back and forth with it, depending on whether I feel like being a benevolent 'god' or not. Smiley  Most of the time I have it disabled, but every so often I have a bunch of grads that I know are just going to move back home, so I enable it to keep them from adding to much to the family funds.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 May 23, 16:00:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never used it, can you enable/disable it within game, or do you have to close the game first?

Zephyr Zodiac
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 May 23, 16:08:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to close the game, and use clean installer to toggle it.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 May 23, 21:55:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, well, in that case, I won't bother, I get sick of having to close the game as it is!

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 May 24, 00:06:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't have to close the game and enable it every time.  You just have to enable it the first time.

After that, it's just there.
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 May 24, 02:06:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Coming out of college, my sims are poor as dirt! Where are you guys getting all the money? Even with straight A's that's only 4800 plus whatever they got in scholorships. ~hmm...I suspect my sims are making all the wrong choices in life. lol  Undecided
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 May 24, 02:33:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my main dorm has 8 residents and currently I think they have around a quarter of a million Simoleans.  That's because of the SS bug - about 5 of them have just been initiated and each time they've brought back all this money.  Then there is the Jacquet woman, who married an old Chinese guy who was about to pop his clogs (which he did tonight).  When he moved in he brought about $8m with him, which was odd considering the family he came from were extremely poor immigrants all cramped into a tiny 2-bedroomed house (6 of them when he moved out).

I think this is a bit off-topic, actually.  Never mind, it's late and I'm old. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 May 24, 02:52:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Coming out of college, my sims are poor as dirt! Where are you guys getting all the money? Even with straight A's that's only 4800 plus whatever they got in scholorships. ~hmm...I suspect my sims are making all the wrong choices in life. lol  Undecided
Some people are lamers and give their sims free 20K handouts. Because they suck. If your sims are poor as dirt, that's the way they SHOULD be!

nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 May 24, 05:06:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A perfect GPA will get you 9600 simoleons, 1200 per semester.  Plus scholarships, usually my Sims make over 10K on their own.  But my Sim kids are all rich brats and I have their parents send them money and then they get the 20K when they leave and often move in together.  They usually blow all of their scholarship and grant money on juice, clothes, bongs and dates.

Frankly, I find the 20K handout more realistic than not.  A college degree will get you far in life...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 May 24, 06:18:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The catch with the 20K free handouts is that it basically makes bothering to earn any money at all pointless, since you automatically get 20K free. Plus there's that entire "Only Broke Until Someone Moves Out" issue.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 May 24, 08:46:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd disagree with the idea that a college degree gets you a free lunch.  Here in the UK, since the grant system was abolished, it's been getting harder and harder for students.  Now, evidently, they are nearly 40 before they finish paying off their loans and start to accumulate more wealth than those who finished school with A-Level and went straight into a job.  (Unlike the US, our college system doesn't include providing on-campus employment for students, nor is there much in the way of industry or commerce-funded scholarships.  There was no tradition for such a system, and our government in its infinite wisdom destroyed the old grants system, but could not legislate to put what you have in the States in its place.

Since, as people keep saying, Sims is not RL, does it really matter whether one prefers them to leave college with nothing, or rich as Croesus?

Zephyr Zodiac
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 May 24, 14:31:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I finished college in RL I was completely broke, I had to debate moving back in with my parents. Fortunately, I found a moderately paying job in a field that had absolutely nothing to do with my degree. Roll Eyes

My sims usually go  to college alone because I don't have large families and the children usually have a huge gap between them. I only send others if there is some kind of arranged marriage going on. I hate playing uni so I don't do the SS or greek houses. And above all, they barely ever get perfect marks because all of my sims are just a tad bit LAZY! That's why they come back to the neighborhood with nothing.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 May 24, 16:16:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the main difference here is that in RL the cost of day-to-day LIVING is much higher than in The Sims!  And Sims can come back from college with very little cash, but an inventory filled with more than enough to start out with!  If you had taken the furniture from a rented house, other than what you had bought yourself, you'd have been liable to be arrested - sims can get away with taking everything including the kitchen sink!

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 May 24, 16:20:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh I don't know about cost of living being less - it's just that they usually make so much more than most people (OK, me).

I totally forgot about my moreexpensiveNPC's hack and I recently sent my new Legacy founder off to work after giving birth, hired a nanny (who had custom black hair weirdly enough and immediately started relaxing naked on the Love Bed!  Cry), and when she got back she had made §588 or so that day, and her nanny cost her §850 almost!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 May 24, 16:22:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims wouldn't hire a nanny if you paid THEM!

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 May 24, 16:36:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I decided to go a different way with this Legacy, and she's a single mom.  If she wants to work (and she has to, considering she's still living on the lawn), then she has no choice.  Although obviously I am going to have her take her vacation days now.  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: