More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 14:54:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Computer Hell!!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Computer Hell!!  (Read 5262 times)
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Computer Hell!!
« on: 2007 February 03, 17:25:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A. I hope that I'm posting in the right area.
B. I've had so much trouble with my new computer these past 2 months.  I've had 5 (yes...5) clean reinstalls, because some software is screwing around with windows.  Somehow some of my drivers get corrupted, then I lose registry files and windows disapear completely.  That's it in a nutshell.  I'm desperate!! ( and close to tears)  
C. My system is:  AMD Athlon 64x2Dual
                        Core Processor 3800+
                         2.01 GHZ 2.00GB Ram
                         Physical Address Extension
I also have 224 GB of free space.
D. I realize that I'm grasping, but could my Pets be corrupted? (even though it says that it's been successfully installed)
    (aren't they all stamped, so to speak, from one master disc?
E. Another stupid question. Could global hacks, or any kind of download cause any kind of problems with registry files.  I know that I'm a moron, but I'm at my wit's end.

Thanx in advance!
« Last Edit: 2007 February 03, 17:58:30 by summerbliz » Logged
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Computer Hell!!
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 03, 18:24:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're not running a RAID array by any chance at all? The first drivers I had - Silicon Image I think- played havoc with my machine, all sorts of weird errors, BSOD all the time, all sorts of hassles. I'm running the AMD 4400 and I just wondered if your setup was similar. I used different RAID drivers and now she's sweet.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 03, 19:34:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for responding.  No, I'm not running a RAID array. 
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 03, 21:12:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Random corruptions usually mean bad hardware (usually the video/mobo/CPU). I would advise professional assistance.

summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 03, 21:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My tech has been working on it.  He's checked the hardware extensively, and everything is working fine, at least till I bring it home.  The computer seems O.K. for approx. 4-5 days, then starts acting up.
All I've installed is Sims2 & all ep's and the two stuff packs, the patches, the Sims2 Pack Clean Installer, and AVG.  Appreciate your imput.
It crashes before I can imput my work programs.
« Last Edit: 2007 February 03, 23:26:59 by summerbliz » Logged
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 03, 23:40:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if your tech is using programmes to test your memory etc? You can download lots of stuff from the net and leave it running on your PC, sometimes that can help diagnose problems. I agree with Dizzy, it sounds like hardware.

summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 04, 00:39:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know what the hell I'm going to do.  He says its working fine.  I just can't afford to bring it to another tech right now, haven't any more money to spare.  Needless to say, the Sims is secondary.  Unfortunately, playing the Sims is generally the only time I really relax.  Silly, I know.  Could the mods or downloads cause Window's to crash?  Many thanks, anyway.
« Last Edit: 2007 February 04, 00:44:39 by summerbliz » Logged
Vren Lyet
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 04, 00:48:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mods or hacks can cause the game to crash. Usually, Windows itself should not be affected.

I agree with the others: what you are describing seems to be caused by some hardware defect.

I'd say it's either your hard drive or - more probably - your RAM, cause malfunctioning RAM modules are the number one reason for data corruption in PCs, second are HDDs.

Black holes suck!
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 04, 01:08:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Vren.  Just out curiosity, would updating drivers, let say for the keyboard and mouse cause these type of crashes?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 04, 01:19:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I put a video driver on a laptop recently, it crashed half way through the install and I subsequently had problems similar to those you describe, but you say you've done 5 clean re-installs - do you mean from format onwards? If you're just putting the windows CD in again, there could still be stuff left over from a corrupt driver.

I used this memory test and didn't have any problems with it. Did the shop build the PC for you? Here in New Zealand, all the PCs I've bought ready-built had be be 'burned in' for 24 hours before I could get them. They supposedly ran these sorts of tests hard out to make sure the hardware was good to go, did you have anything like that?

summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 February 04, 01:45:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My computer was home-grown if you will. My tech made it on the side. Mind you, everytime it crashed, I brought it to where he works and he checked it there.  I don't think I'll update any drivers for a while, and see what happens.  Witch, when you mentioned your laptop, a little light came on! Before my computer initially crashed, I tried to update my Logitech mouse and keyboard.  Hopefully, the computer will behave until I can get thoroughly checked elsewhere.Again, thanks for helping me out.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: