More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 22, 18:29:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Father isn't a guardian? (plus coffin idiocy!)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Father isn't a guardian? (plus coffin idiocy!)  (Read 6649 times)
seventhson
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Father isn't a guardian? (plus coffin idiocy!)
« on: 2006 January 24, 09:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game has once again gone mildly insane.

In house: four Sims, plus one townie visitor. Vampire Nero, his wife Marisa, her new boyfriend Reed, and Marisa and Nero's daughter Aria. Checking out the romance mod, I got Marisa to kiss Reed in front of (Romance Sim) Nero, with no reaction. Since I wanted them to break up, I made Nero check out the townie. Boing, crossed-out hearts everywhere, slapping, enemies, the works. Break up option appears and is used. For some reason Marisa got a good memory of having broken up with Nero...

Anyway, having wrecked that marriage, I wanted Marisa and Reed to move out alone. When I tried to move them out with the paper, the message 'What are you doing? You can't leave a child alone!' popped up. Uhhhh...but Aria's father Nero is still there. He turned out to be unselectable, for some reason. Marisa and Reed can't move out because the game is absolutely positive there's no other adult on the lot.

Is this romance mod hijinks, and I somehow missed the RTFM? Or, more likely, is my game being spectacularly non-awesome again? Angry
« Last Edit: 2006 January 25, 02:15:54 by seventhson » Logged
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
Re: Father isn't a guardian?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 24, 10:51:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm

The only 2 cents I can put into this is one of the sims in one of my houses recently had the become unselectable thing happen.  No idea what caused it, I have quite a few of hacks in my game (no romance mod yet) but didn't click on anything or do anything that may have caused it to happen. However in my game, it still recognized the unselectable sim as being part of the family.  It was a kid, and I got sick of dealing w/ it and was unable to figure it out so I just had social services come.

Maybe you could try moving either Marisa or Reed out alone by themselves at first and then trying having one of them propose a move in to the other and see what happens.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 24, 11:32:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you have one sim "break up" with another sim, he/she sends the other sim out the door.  So if you had Marisa do the breaking up, then Nero would have been the one to leave the house.  That is why he became unselectable.  If the relationship is bad enough, the sim will get a good memory about it.  If it's not below a certain threshold, then the memory will be a bad one.  Catching one's spouse/lover seems to drive the relationship down to rock bottom, so the few I've had break up have had good memories.  You have to get the other sim to break up with the sim you want them to leave the house.  It doesn't always make sense, but that's how it works.  Also, it doesn't remove that sim from the relationship panel until you reload the lot for some reason, so it would appear they still live there even after they've walked down the sidewalk and off the lot.  This is basic game behavior and has nothing to do with the romance mod.
seventhson
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 24, 11:52:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Man, that's tricky. And yet this is the first time in my many happy couple-wrecking moments that either broken-up person has become unselectable or tried to leave, so obviously something's been going wrong before. Evil, evil thing.

I'll move Nero back in and then toss the other two out. Homewrecking fiends!

Thanks, rainbow!
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 24, 12:34:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have the Romance Mod in at the moment, so whether that affects "Check-Out" I don't know, because I have Sims check-out others all the time in front of their partners and there's never been any reaction.  I know that since NL Sims can flirt and carry-on in other rooms and not be caught, but with this they've done it in the same room, often standing right next to their partners, and never has there been any reaction.  I mainly use it to set the gender preference on townies and dormies and so on.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 24, 14:16:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims could flirt and stuff in other rooms without being caught before NL.  Woohoo though was a different story as sims' lovers had an uncanny ability of knowing no matter how far away.  This hasn't changed as far as I can tell, without the Romance mod, of course. 
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 24, 21:27:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe there's a hack to prevent moving out after breaking up? I could have sworn I had it, too, but after one of my Romance Sims got caught cheating by the hubby and he broke up with her, off she walked. I just dumped her back into the house from the bin, though. Hah, no escaping for you!
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 24, 21:55:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having this problem on the Pleasants lot.  Mary-Sue broke up with Daniel, and he disappeared and became unselectable, without moving out.  When I finally managed to force errors on him using the lot debugger, he reappeared, at which I sent him to the paper.  Just to check his memories, he had a moved out memory after the broke up with Mary-Sue memory.  When he finally finished ruffling the paper, it said he couldn't move out because there were no adults on the lot.  What is Mary-Sue?  A bookcase?

Oh, by the way, in my game, before I loaded the Pleasants, the thumbnails of broken-up sims always poofed off the thumbnail selector.
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 25, 00:52:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I first started playing, base game only --- no mods or hacks whatsoever, the Pleasants broke up after Mary Sue caught Daniel with Kaylynn.  MarySue did the breaking up.

Being unawesome, I didn't realize that meant Daniel was kicked to the curb.  I decided to move Mary Sue out, which I did...only to have Daniel move out, too.  I cannot remember if he was unselectable on the lot and only "gone" when I re-entered...but the net effect was, the twins were alone in that big house.

Made for a great story line, one of my best.  Many vials of Elixir later, they still live together in the same house, with live in boyfriends, great careers and happy lives.  (The last part, of course, has nothing really to do with the topic of the thread, but blabbering to my husband about how thrilled I am that Angela & Lillith are happy might produce an enforced visit to a RL therapist....., so I'll just throw it in here where I'm at least somewhat understood.)

Tongue

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
seventhson
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 25, 02:15:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect something's gone freaky-weird with this house. Now my poor Nero can't sleep in his coffin. It says there are no possible actions, or whatever it is along those lines when you can't do anything with an object.

Since he was, indeed, in the Sim bin, I moved him back in, and moved Reed and Marisa out. He can interact with everything except the coffin. Of course. Aaagh!

The coffin has been sold, a new one's been bought, it's had errors forced, and it just will. Not. Let. Him. In. Still insanely attractive to non-vampire daughter Aria, of course.  Angry Help. Someone tell me why it hates me so.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Re: Father isn't a guardian? (plus coffin idiocy!)
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 25, 04:30:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you try to interact with the coffin, do the actions just drop out of queue? Or... when you click on the coffin, do the options even show up?

Can any of your other sims interact with the coffin? Other vampires? Non-vampires?

What kind of coffin related hacks do you have?

Note: If you are using my vampirecoffinmod, there is a minor compatibility issue with Crammyboy's nudist hack. For things to work properly, you have to name the hacks such that my vampirecoffinmod loads last. Hacks load in alphabeticaly order. I tried to explain this as best as possible in the original thread.

If you are not using my hack, are you possibly using XPTL's original "coffin 4 vamps only" (I don't remember the exact name off the top of my head) hack which mine was originally based on? This also has the same minor conflict and would require naming the hacks such that the coffin related hack loads last.

I know it seems like a odd conflict, and I wasn't quite sure why this occurred, but it was something I discovered while I was toying with his hack and trying to figure out how to fix it. His original hack was supposed to completely disable use of the coffin by nonvamps, but for some reason, the option would still show up for certain nonvamp sims when clicking on the coffin. After much testing, and with the help of one of dizzy's tools, I found out that there was a minor conflict with CBoy's nudist hack. I took a look at the code, and it was pretty similar. It was quite puzzling to me, at the time, why it would have caused such a weird error.  Huh But to be honest, I didn't take an in depth look at it. It was sufficient enough for me to know that if I simply included the changes and superceded that portion of the nudist hack, then my hack would work properly.

Anyways, if none of this applies to your game, then I'm sorry, I don't know what else it could be. Another thing you could try is forcing an error on the vampire sim himself. Or using the lot debugger to reset all objects on the lot (WITH the DEBUG mode OFF!). Another thing you could try is deleting your group.cache and/or cigen.package files (found in your Downloads folder). I don't know WHY that works sometimes, but it does. Tongue If none of those options help, then try moving hiim into another lot and see if you still have the same issues. If you still have problems, then it may be:

1) hack related = sifting through your hacks for possible conflicts, maybe even painfully doing it one at a time Tongue
2) your object.package may be corrupt = try recopying/restoring it from your NL disk
3) your game is majorly fubar'd and is on it's way, or has already turned into a BFBVFS = sit back, break out the marshmallows and warm your hands by the flame Tongue then weep and mourn your loss  Cry as you kiss your 'hood goodbye  Kiss and start over from scratch  ?  Undecided

Ste

seventhson
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 25, 06:26:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Ste! What was happening was no options at all for Nero and his coffin, but options for his non-vamp daughter. Which was annoying. I don't have any coffin hacks, but I'm not sure if hacks were responsible anyway.

Long story short, I 'fixed' it by moving Nero and Aria out and bulldozing the lot, cursing at the computer all the while. Whacked them in another lot, bang, he can sleep in any coffin I want to give him.

Eeeeeexcellent.

If it happens again, I'll definitely be going through hacks and then weeping and watching the BFBVFS. But for now, all's well. Until next time, when something else is bound to go wrong...on a side note, anyone experienced a just-transitioned teen having the aspiration level and title of an aspiration, before theirs is picked? When I accidentally looked at Aria's aspiration pop-up thingie before the aspiration chooser came up, it said she was Romance... Undecided
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 25, 08:41:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a theory that your problem may be caused by "broken selectableness".

I've observed this happening with, not coffins, but weight machines, where one sim inexplicably has no options to use it. This seems to clear up if you either delete the afflicted sims, or use the Lot Debugger's "Fix Broken Selectableness" option if available.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 25, 10:57:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed that before you select their Aspiration, they are all romance.

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 25, 11:13:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've only seen "Grow-up" when I've paid attention.  I'll see what it says next time.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 25, 12:07:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't do all the moving in and out the normal way anyway cos I am sick of the unrealistic way the funding is handled.  I just move my people around using shrubs, then the kid go where *I* want them to live Smiley

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 January 25, 12:25:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't do all the moving in and out the normal way anyway cos I am sick of the unrealistic way the funding is handled.  I just move my people around using shrubs, then the kid go where *I* want them to live Smiley
Which I imagine is the reason you created the shrubs in the first place! Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: