More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 02:19:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Graphics question
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Graphics question  (Read 19744 times)
Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Graphics question
« Reply #25 on: 2006 January 12, 14:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I wouldn't download the latest NVidia Drivers, unless you want radioactive pillows and newspapers.  I have found either 77.77 or 78.01 work best if you have nightlife installed.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 January 12, 14:36:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I wouldn't download the latest NVidia Drivers, unless you want radioactive pillows and newspapers.  I have found either 77.77 or 78.01 work best if you have nightlife installed.

She's using an older card. It's the newer cards that have issues with the latest drivers. My 440MX works just fine with v81.98.

Instant gratification takes too long.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 January 12, 15:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right. Except it is possible to set antialiasing to 2XQ instead of 4X and save some processor cycles.

Fae, I found the one thing that got rid of the corruption was simply changing:
Antialiasing to 2XQ and Antiscopic Filtering to off

Thanks so much!  I do have the latest drivers.  I went in and tweaked my settings to match yours.  We'll see how it does now!  Do you run your game on high or medium texture quality?  Do you see weirdness like Brynne and I have been getting?  That especially the clothes seems to wack out sometimes?

I'll let you know.

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 January 12, 16:01:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks so much!  I do have the latest drivers.  I went in and tweaked my settings to match yours.  We'll see how it does now!  Do you run your game on high or medium texture quality?  Do you see weirdness like Brynne and I have been getting?  That especially the clothes seems to wack out sometimes?

I used to have those problems until I changed my settings (above).
My game is using high texture quality, high light, medium shadow (sometimes high depending on the lot size).

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 January 12, 22:26:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, restarting seemed to have cleared things up. Unfortunately, I'm not  playing right now because I sent several sims to uni, and the freakin' Landgrabb Society screen just took over the game. Kicking myself for forgetting to put back the no secret society abductions hack. The loading screen is nice and crisp, though.  Roll Eyes
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 January 13, 01:11:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the abductions are mildly amusing, but I could do without being yoinked to the other lot. Perhaps I shall make an "offscreen abduction" mode.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 January 13, 03:38:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe they take the sim away for a couple of hours? Or brings up a dialogue: Would you like to go to the Secret Society lot? Because I like the abductions, but they can get really annoying.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 January 13, 04:19:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also like the abductions, but I'd rather have them not go to that lot.

I've got this problem too, but it tends to be with objects instead of sims.  I've assumed a long time ago that it was my freaking 64MB card, so I really haven't asked anyone about it at all.  I use a Geforce 4 MX 420 or 440.  I don't remember which but I bet there's not a difference.  I can't really use the trick with the nVidia card drivers like you all described, because I'm using the Omega Drivers since I couldn't get Civilization 4 to work without it.
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 January 13, 04:48:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also run into the problem with objects rather than sims. I have a Nvidia GeForce 5200 FX (It looked good way back when I bought it) and tried tweaking things according to the posts above. Things looked good but it slowed my game performance way down.

I have finally come to grips with the reality that my computer sucks.

March 3rd = Alienware baby.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 January 22, 01:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Boy did that jump off topic or what?

Fae, did that solve your problem?

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 January 22, 01:15:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the fuzzy clothes problem this morning. Shutting my computer down for a bit cleared it up again. I'm wondering if it's heat-related?
Athena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 January 22, 03:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe they take the sim away for a couple of hours? Or brings up a dialogue: Would you like to go to the Secret Society lot? Because I like the abductions, but they can get really annoying.

I agree.  If this is possible, that'd be great.  Sometimes I want my Sims to be taken to the secret society, and other times I really just want to stay on my current lot.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 January 22, 07:46:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the fuzzy clothes problem this morning. Shutting my computer down for a bit cleared it up again. I'm wondering if it's heat-related?

Nah, it's the settings applied to the card. I cleared mine up with the recommendations listed earlier. You have a different card, however I'm sure the settings are there.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 January 22, 21:54:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Boy did that jump off topic or what?

Fae, did that solve your problem?

It helped, yes, but the thumbnails are still fuzzy in some cases.

C

radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 January 22, 23:33:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, you'll need to refresh the thumbnails by having the sim "change appearance" in a mirror, and without actually changing appearance, click the check mark to accept. That'll refresh the thumbnail.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 January 23, 13:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, you'll need to refresh the thumbnails by having the sim "change appearance" in a mirror, and without actually changing appearance, click the check mark to accept. That'll refresh the thumbnail.

Hmmm.  Is the "not actually changing the appearance" part important?  I have used the mirror several times and all the makeup is fine.  It's the clothes in the catalogue that are fuzzy.

C

Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: 2006 January 23, 13:37:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the 'without changing anything' part is just because you don't want to mess around with your sims looks.

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 January 23, 14:34:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy Right. Changing your appearance changes the thumbnail. But, you don't have to actually change anything. It is possible to "Change Appearance", not change anything and click the check mark to refresh the thumbnail.

Change their looks if you like, I assumed you only wanted to fix the thumbnail.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 January 23, 21:16:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy Right. Changing your appearance changes the thumbnail. But, you don't have to actually change anything. It is possible to "Change Appearance", not change anything and click the check mark to refresh the thumbnail.

Change their looks if you like, I assumed you only wanted to fix the thumbnail.

Oh, I guess I wasn't clear.  The sims' thumbnail isn't the problem.  It's the pictures of clothes in the clothes buying tool or when shopping for clothes on a community lot.  Not all are fuzzy, only some.

C

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 January 23, 21:24:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still don't understand why I get this problem intermittently. Without changing any settings at all, it does this, then magically corrects itself with a reboot.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 January 23, 21:53:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get this problem too, all the time it seems lately, but I didn't pay it that much attention until recently.  Hook told me it was a video card thing, which I could imagine seeing my video card is shite.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 January 23, 22:08:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It could be due to poor handling of image compression either by the game, or the video card/driver.
Those are undoubtedly compression artifacts.

I've never had it happen with any other game so the blame scale dips a bit on the Maxis side. Tongue

Fae: Maybe renaming the \My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails\ packages will help refresh your thumbnails. I say rename so that you can restore them in case something goes terribly wrong. Tongue I know for certain that CASThumbnails.package can be safely deleted but I'm not sure about the others.

I'm pretty sure that your thumbnails are messed up due to the compression type used before you changed the driver settings and will remain that way until the thumbnails are forced to refresh.

Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 January 24, 18:29:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can kill anything in the \Thumbnails folder and it will regenerate. I've done it numerous times. They always come back.

Some of the thumbnails were probably generated with the graphics problem active, and some without, which is why some are fuzzy and some aren't. Bomb 'em all and make them regenerate while your graphics are good, and they should stay that way.

Geez...killing and bombing...I'm starting to sound like Pescado. <<slaps self vigorously>>
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: