More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 14, 04:27:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Change Neighborhoods?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Change Neighborhoods?  (Read 10586 times)
Nukapei
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Change Neighborhoods?
« on: 2006 February 14, 19:14:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, all.  I have a family that I totally love, and have invested A LOT of time in (got both mom and dad through uni, had them meet, and date, finally fall in love and marry, and now have a kid).  Problem: the neighborhood they're in (the original Pleasantview or whatever) is getting a bit ... crowded.  I downloaded an awesome terrain map off a site, and really want to create a new neighborhood and start fresh.  Only, I don't want to loose this family!  Is there any way -- be it via a hack, in game trick, even a program I have to download -- to move sims/families from one neighborhood to another?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Re: Change Neighborhoods?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 14, 19:20:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AFAIK, there is no easy, simple way to move a family from one base 'hood to another 'hood, while keeping relations and memories Intact AND NOT having extra sim files tag along for the ride (the other sims - family memebers or friends or lovers or even sims they just met) in your new neighborhood.

You would either have to:

A) Clone your family, rebuild them, and painstakingly rebuild their memories and relations as well using SimPE.

B) Lotbin your family and install in a new 'hood, AFTER using the DeleteAllCharacters, and then painstakingly delete any extra sims you didn't want, as well as delete any memories related to them.

Either method sounds painful. Tongue

If you just want to keep them because of how they look. You can clone them, and rebuild them in CAS. But start all over with new/fresh memories. Just think of it as an alternate universe.

I did see someone post something about a memory manager plugin, but I don't know how much easier it would make the task. *shrugs*

Ste

Nukapei
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 14, 19:23:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Agreed.  PainfulUndecided  Of course, I can just use SimPE to make them think they went to Uni, create them as an already-made couple, and go from there, saving myself a lot of time ... and, as for looks, I created them both in BodyShop, so it's not like I don't have them anywhere.  And I've updated both, anyway.  So I actually would prefer to change them.  Sounds like that's the way to go.  Thanks, Syberspunk!  Kiss

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 14, 19:32:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well with Theo's new nifty plug in, you could actually nuke all their memories and then package them as a family.  Because they have no memories, they should package clean.  This way you wouldn't have to recreate them from scratch.

Anyway since it's a new neighbourdhood, you risk little to try it.  Just make sure you do a backup first, because the memory nuke will be permanent in Pleasantville as well.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 14, 21:58:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently moved a large number of sims from 1 hood to another, it was easy (and done right)

1, move any sims you wish to keep onto 1 Lot (I was moving a few familys and didn't want them to lose their friends and family relations with the other familys, 1 lot takes care of that) (note you can backup your old hood first and then replace it with the backup after step 2, if you want)

2, Make a list of the names of Every Sim on the Lot and then package the Lot to a file

3, make new hood, install your packaged Lot - using clean installer and make sure you uncheck every sim that isn't on the Lot (so you won't get tagalongs)

4, plop it down where ever you want it and then exit

5, open the hood in simpe (with Theo's new nifty memory plugin already set up)

simpe - plugin directions
Plugins - Neighborhood Browser

pick your hood

then select (on the left)
Neighborhood/Memory (then select the neighborhood memory file on the right)

wait for it to do its loading thing

In plugin view - you will see down near the bottom (middle) "up" "down" "nuke all"  and below that(slightly to the right) "fix memorys" click it and it will fix all the memorys in that entire hood.

after clicking "fix memories" remember to hit "commit" (bottom right corner)
and then remember to "save" 

6, enter your new hood and play  Grin 
note - If you have more then 1 family on the Lot like I did then you need to move them out carefully (specially if you have more then 8 sims on the Lot like I did (thanks to that family size hack) I suggest having Inges teleporter plus, you can then have 1 sim move out and then move into a new home and then teleport (and move in) the rest of the family, repeat for each family.

easy and I have not had any trouble doing it this way, no extra character files or screwed up memorys and my familys all kept their relationsihips with friends and family Grin
Nukapei
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 14, 22:04:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow.  Thanks, Sleepycat, I'll try it that way!

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 14, 22:14:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

your welcome  Smiley

I would never have attempted it myself if it wasn't for Theo's memory plugin, it would have been to much work  Wink
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 14, 22:21:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds just too easy.  There must be a catch Smiley
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 14, 22:38:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Possibly stupid question -- why is it so bad to have memories of Sims that do not exist in the neighborhood? I.e., if you lotbinned a family, deleted the tagalong character files, but didn't alter the memories? How is it different than having memories of a Sim who no longer exists because s/he died and the urnstone was deleted?
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 14, 22:50:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It corrupts the data, and makes your game into a BFBVFS.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 14, 23:05:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

all their memories of the Sims who tagged along in memory form become unknown (had unknown, made best friends with unknown etc..

Before I knew about the fiery ball thing, I binned my Legacy family and moved them to a new neighbourhood, I also packaged their son who'd moved out, married and had children... so many unknown memories it's crazy, and it was even creepier when she met her son and wanted to flirt with him... ew

I would certainly try it Sleepycat's way though...

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 14, 23:22:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To be more specific, sims having memories of unknowns can cause them to have errors when doing all sorts of things, like using the toilet. This is different than sims that have memories of dead sims that have had their tombstones deleted because in that case there is still a stub file for the game to reference, and thus the sim doesn't get errors. I don't know WHY the sims get errors they do or what memories have to do with using the toilet and such things like that, but they are extensive and render sims unplayable.

sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 14, 23:41:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. That's definitely weird (and very annoying), but I sort of understand the mechanism now.

Zeljka, I did the same with my Legacy family way back before I knew it was bad. I never had any problems with the transplant -- I probably used up my entire lifetime of luck on that....
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 15, 00:32:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't actually get errors, just wondered why all my other neighbourhood's characters were showing up there as well. Once I figured it out, I deleted all the unwanted characters and all memories of them. Seemed to do the trick (band-aid solution), though my game is full of fiery ball extinguishing hacks...

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 15, 04:04:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds just too easy.  There must be a catch Smiley

well without Theo's memory plugin you would have to go thru and delete all the bad unknown memorys yourself  Wink now That is a painful time consuming effort  Tongue
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 15, 07:51:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you simply want to replace your neighborhood's TERRAIN, there's severalw ays to go about doing it

A. You can move to a new downtown attached to your main neighborhood, and generate the new downtown using that terrain.
B. You can perform NEIGHBORHOOD TERRAIN SURGERY following the tutorial in the War Room.

Any other solution is considerably more ugly and fraught with peril than the above.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Winklesim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 15, 12:05:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hey everyone,

sleepycat, I just went through the steps you suggested but somewhere along the line something has happened so that only the house is showing up in my game, not the family. When I run the lot through clean installer the character names are there and i check then etc, but it just wont show up in my game. Have I done something stupid that is fixable or have I screwed up majorly and lost the whole family Roll Eyes ?

Any suggestions would be great.

Wake me up when I'm rich and famous!
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 15, 13:32:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am just curious, is your game patched with the new EP2 update perchance?
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 15, 14:04:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oddly enough, I moved 3 families into my new Pleasantview yesterday from another neighbourhood and had no problems.  It's something I've done a few times before and it's always worked fine.  As others have mentioned, the most important thing is to make sure no extra Sims are accompanying the residents, which is easily done with Clean Installer.  The only files you need to have ticked in there are the ones for the family, the one for the lot, and the family file itself.  Untick everything else, including all the objects, because they're already in your downloads folder.

I edited all my memories individually because I wanted to keep the ones personal to the family - the main thing to remember when doing this is to delete any attraction markers (the invisible ones from people who are attracted to your Sim) in case they're relating to someone from the old neighbourhood, otherwise the game will crash, or throw-up constant errors if you're in debug mode.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 15, 14:28:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hey everyone,

sleepycat, I just went through the steps you suggested but somewhere along the line something has happened so that only the house is showing up in my game, not the family. When I run the lot through clean installer the character names are there and i check then etc, but it just wont show up in my game. Have I done something stupid that is fixable or have I screwed up majorly and lost the whole family Roll Eyes ?

Any suggestions would be great.

No you didn't do anything wrong. I should have mentioned that sometimes clean installer has trouble installing occupied lots Sad

delete the Lot in-game and then try installing it again, it may take a few trys. (which really sucks)

and as Ancient Sim said The only files you need to have ticked in there are the ones for the family, the one for the lot, and the family file itself.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 15, 14:36:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I edited all my memories individually because I wanted to keep the ones personal to the family

you have confused me! (not hard to do but still)

Theo's memory plugin dosen't wipe out all of their memorys via "fix memories", just the bad unknown ones and the spam ones and any corrupt ones(although corrupt ones might get fixed instead, can't remember), none of those memories are ones anyone would wish to keep  Shocked
Winklesim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 15, 22:15:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thanks alot everyone!  Grin
 and no nectere, I don't have the newest patch ...

Wake me up when I'm rich and famous!
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 25, 02:49:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently moved a large number of sims from 1 hood to another, it was easy (and done right)

1, move any sims you wish to keep onto 1 Lot (I was moving a few familys and didn't want them to lose their friends and family relations with the other familys, 1 lot takes care of that) (note you can backup your old hood first and then replace it with the backup after step 2, if you want)

2, Make a list of the names of Every Sim on the Lot and then package the Lot to a file

3, make new hood, install your packaged Lot - using clean installer and make sure you uncheck every sim that isn't on the Lot (so you won't get tagalongs)

4, plop it down where ever you want it and then exit

5, open the hood in simpe (with Theo's new nifty memory plugin already set up)

simpe - plugin directions
Plugins - Neighborhood Browser

pick your hood

then select (on the left)
Neighborhood/Memory (then select the neighborhood memory file on the right)

wait for it to do its loading thing

In plugin view - you will see down near the bottom (middle) "up" "down" "nuke all"  and below that(slightly to the right) "fix memorys" click it and it will fix all the memorys in that entire hood.

after clicking "fix memories" remember to hit "commit" (bottom right corner)
and then remember to "save" 

6, enter your new hood and play  Grin 
note - If you have more then 1 family on the Lot like I did then you need to move them out carefully (specially if you have more then 8 sims on the Lot like I did (thanks to that family size hack) I suggest having Inges teleporter plus, you can then have 1 sim move out and then move into a new home and then teleport (and move in) the rest of the family, repeat for each family.

easy and I have not had any trouble doing it this way, no extra character files or screwed up memorys and my familys all kept their relationsihips with friends and family Grin

Sleeplycat, your instructions look so simple that I am tempted to follow.
some quick questions

1. How about all those blasted townies and downtownies that my sims have made friends with? Do you shift them to the new hood too? 'cos you mentioned ur families kept all r/s with friends and families.
2. The memory plug in- what memories does it exactly fix? Does it delete all the memories of "meet xxx" where the "xxx" sim is not in that one packaged lot?
3. My neighbourhood is so crowded. I might have to squeeze 200 sims into one house? Is that even possible?
4. any other info I can read here about change of neighbourhoods? I did a search and only this came up.

Thks for ur help! Smiley

Go Away
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 25, 03:19:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sleeplycat, your instructions look so simple that I am tempted to follow.
some quick questions

1. How about all those blasted townies and downtownies that my sims have made friends with? Do you shift them to the new hood too? 'cos you mentioned ur families kept all r/s with friends and families.
2. The memory plug in- what memories does it exactly fix? Does it delete all the memories of "meet xxx" where the "xxx" sim is not in that one packaged lot?
3. My neighbourhood is so crowded. I might have to squeeze 200 sims into one house? Is that even possible?
4. any other info I can read here about change of neighbourhoods? I did a search and only this came up.

Thks for ur help! Smiley

1, sorry I should have been more clear, I meant they kept their friends and family relationships with the other sims I moved with them on the same lot

2, you can read about and get the memory plugin here (in short it will get rid of all the "bad unknown memorys" like "met xxx" that became "met unknown")
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=2590.0

3, I used the "no family size limit" hack by Doc Doofus to bypass the "only 8" sims limit, and Inges "teleporter plus" to get everyone on the Lot & added to the family.
200 sims might be to many for 1 Lot though (maybe a big empty lot? if your computer can handle it) I'd suggest breaking them down to a few Lots if you can. Backup your hoods first incase you need change how you move them, specially if you move 200 sims *laughs* I never did count how many sims I moved on the one Lot but it was maybe around 50, ranging from toddler to adult.

4, there is another thread but I can't remember the name of it though Sad *will look*
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: