More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 13, 21:09:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  My graphics card is far too hot
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: My graphics card is far too hot  (Read 5857 times)
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
My graphics card is far too hot
« on: 2007 January 03, 02:39:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Last year when I said something about my graphics card making a noise
Well now it has stopped but my card is far too hot!

Usually it's on 50 to 50 degrees C but this is far too hot!
Having gone in and checked the card I've found a huge clump of dust in the fan, when I took it out its still hot as it was before.
Any help to cool this thing down is appreciated.

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: My graphics card is far too hot
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 03, 02:46:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you probably need more advanced cooling than your inadequate stock fan. My computer is sealed in a compressor freezercase and runs at subzero temperatures, wrapped in frozen carbon dioxide.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 03, 14:00:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Barring introducing the ice age into your tower, perhaps a second card fan would help?
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 03, 14:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect your onboard fan died when it stopped making noise.   Shocked

Maybe you could put a slot fan right under the card? Is there room for a fan on the back of the tower between the card and the power supply?
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 03, 15:01:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps dusting more often would help, as would a room fan (for you).

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 03, 20:36:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can replace the fan on your card just like you don't have to use the stock heatsink for your CPU. It's a simple change, and the new one will work better and be quieter than the old one ever did.

I'm using This One

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 03, 20:38:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can't be both quieter and work better unless you change the underlying technology. A more powerful fan is a LOUDER fan!

Besides, if your computer DOESN'T sound like a 747 taking off, YOU NEED MORE FANS.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 03, 20:41:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol, my mother is half deaf and when she hears the noise from the fan on the space heater, she tries to blame it on my computer!  No, mom, that's the heater!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 03, 21:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why do you even NEED a heater when you have computers? Computers produce heat just as efficiently as heaters do, and they also compute.

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 03, 21:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We changed the CPU fan in my computer and dropped the running temperature by 20C.  Best thing we ever did for it!
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 January 03, 21:23:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why do you even NEED a heater when you have computers? Computers produce heat just as efficiently as heaters do, and they also compute.

The computers are in the corner by me, and the fan in the side of the case barely blows warm air on my ankles.  My mother is out in the middle of the room where she can see the tv, and by the time the air gets to her, it's cold. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 January 03, 21:28:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You just need more computers, then.

cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 January 03, 21:55:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You just need more computers, then.

Don't we all.  Grin
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 January 04, 00:25:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can't be both quieter and work better unless you change the underlying technology. A more powerful fan is a LOUDER fan!

Besides, if your computer DOESN'T sound like a 747 taking off, YOU NEED MORE FANS.

Not true, bigger fans move more air, but can do so quietly. It's not the air that makes the noise, after all, it's usually how well the motor is greased and how its built. There are also things that can be done to MAKE things quieter, like rubber washers to keep it from rattling so much.

The loudest thing on my desktop is the hard drive. But it never gets above 45ºC, and usually hovers more in the 30-35ºC range.

We honestly did used to heat our old apartment just with our computers. They are basically just more useful space heaters. LOL  It was only 1 bedroom, 700 sq ft, and 2 desktops and a laptop kept the place plenty warm. Of course, it probably also helped that we're in California where we don't have to deal with below freezing temperatures very often (although it DOES get into the 30's at night, and lately has hit 30 often)and we were on the 3rd floor, so our downstairs neighbors helped to heat us. Usually a little too well- I'd end up opening a window in the afternoons.  Roll Eyes We're spread out over 2 floors now, so we have to use actual heaters except for in the office, which still gets too warm.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 January 04, 03:32:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not true, bigger fans move more air, but can do so quietly. It's not the air that makes the noise, after all, it's usually how well the motor is greased and how its built. There are also things that can be done to MAKE things quieter, like rubber washers to keep it from rattling so much.
Actually, it *IS* the air that makes the noise. My old fans, before I moved to the compressor case, produced a noise that sounded like a jet engine. You were absolutely not to stick your hands in the fan unless you didn't want them anymore.

Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 January 07, 06:48:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok,
My Dad has decided to buy a replacement fan and also get my Uncle to replace the fan, hopefully it will be back to normal, Thanks guys for your help

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: