More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 13, 10:56:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Two Laptops to choose from...Opinions please
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Two Laptops to choose from...Opinions please  (Read 2402 times)
Braveheart
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Two Laptops to choose from...Opinions please
« on: 2006 May 12, 18:22:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found a couple of cheap laptops (ones I can possibly afford). I would like to have opinions on them. I plan to run Sims2 on them so that is to be considered. Thanks

#1 Acer Laptop with extended battery life                   #2 Acer Dual Core
     AMD Turion 64 ML-32                                                Intel Centrino Duo T2300
     100 GB (4200)Hard Drive                                           100 GB (5400)Hard Drive
     1024 MB DDR RAM                                                    1024 MB DDR RAM   
     Dual Layer DVD Burner                                               Dual Layer DVD Burner
     128 MB (shared) Mirage 2 Graphics                              224 MB (shared) Intel GMA 950
     Wireless Networking                                                  Wireless Networking
     15.4" Widescreen                                                     15.4" Widescreen
     Price $999 canadian                                         Price $1199 Canadian

astraled
Asinine Airhead

Minty Fresh!

View Profile
Re: Two Laptops to choose from...Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 12, 21:22:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Intergrated graphics are crap Undecided. I really don't think you'd be very happy.  If I had to pick one, I'd go with whichever has the fastest processor (I am not familiar with AMD so I can't tell which is better).

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 12, 22:37:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like the specs on #2 are somewhat better.  Both Centrino and Turion-based notebooks get generally decent reviews at PCWorld.com, but the Intel processor seems to have a bit of an edge over the AMD.

I Googled for info and reviews on both types of integrated graphics, and got pretty much the same concensus for both: they're perfectly adequate for 2-D applications and older games, but they won't handle modern games that call for superior 3-D performance.  I found a report of The Sims 2 running on a Turion notebook, but lagging even at the lowest settings.  Couldn't find any specific reports of anyone trying TS2 on a Centrino Duo.

The number that stands out most to me is 224 MB versus 128 MB of graphics memory.  Generally speaking, more memory is better.

Regardless, I wouldn't count on being able to run the game at very high settings with either one.  : /

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Myth
Pinheaded Pissant

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 12, 23:05:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I vote for the dual core as well. 

Rohina: Motion to Expel Myth from the Senate. Just testing an hypothesis. Nothing to do with the fact that she smells like ass.
Flowerchile: Have you be'd norty again Mythie?
Mythchick: No, I just followed Rohina around a little and now smell like ass.
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 16, 01:48:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it helps, I run Sims 2 on a laptop with an NVidia Geforce Go 6200TC, which is an integrated board, and it runs like a dream. I have Uni and Nightlife, and have most of the game options set to Maximum. Running the game full-screen isn't great if I need to switch applications, but running it in a window is wonderful - very smooth switching. I usually have Sims 2 and irc running together, and often a web browser (Opera) or Photoshop as well.

Now, this laptop is a Sony Vaio, and it's around a year old. So while it cost a fair bit more than your current budget, it has similar specs in terms of processor speed and memory. The only big difference is the graphics card. We specifically bought this laptop to run Sims 2, so we got the best possible graphics card at the time. It has 32MB dedicated RAM plus 128MB shared. NVidia cards are generally good.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: