More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 13, 11:15:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Winrar has hijacked my zip files!!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Winrar has hijacked my zip files!!  (Read 17488 times)
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
Winrar has hijacked my zip files!!
« on: 2005 December 03, 23:50:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was downloading a couple of the MATY Sims in Peasantry and when I had to use Winrar to extract them, it seems all of my downloaded stuff has 'converted' to rar files!  Angry

How do I get them back to zip files?

Cheers

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
Re: Winrar has hijacked my zip files!!
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 03, 23:55:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can set Winrar to be the default program to open both zip and rar files, or just rar files. Check your settings.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 04, 00:00:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a setting in WinRar?  When it did that to me I changed the file associations in Windows Explorer.  I had purchased WinZip years ago and decided I didn't want to spend another $30 on an extraction program so now I use either SimFileMaid2 or UltimateZip.  UltimateZip is freeware and will extract both .zip and .rar files.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 04, 00:05:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Winrar is always "free". You just have to put up with the message box reminding you that it's not, after the trial period.  Wink But you only see that if you choose to open downloads rather than save them to disk. 
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 04, 00:13:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, to me that's not free.  It isn't a 'freeware' program--they do expect payment, so if I can't pay I'm not going to use it.  Basically, it's the same thing as walking into Staples or any store, picking up a piece of software off the shelf and walking out without paying for it.  Wink

UltimateZip is a freeware program.  You put up with a nano-second pop-up when it first starts about the company supporting it.  They don't ask for payment and it works indefinitely.

vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 04, 00:19:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was downloading a couple of the MATY Sims in Peasantry and when I had to use Winrar to extract them, it seems all of my downloaded stuff has 'converted' to rar files!  Angry

How do I get them back to zip files?

It's a superior file format, anyway. Smiley

Well, to me that's not free.  It isn't a 'freeware' program--they do expect payment

Rubbish.

They'd like payment, but they don't force you to give them one. They give you a fully-functioning program with a reminder that if you like it, you can always buy it - just like UltimateZip, in fact.

I never even see their reminder because I use the right-click functions instead of opening the program itself. Hence I actually tend to forget that I'm only using a trial.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 04, 00:20:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, to me that's not free.  It isn't a 'freeware' program--they do expect payment, so if I can't pay I'm not going to use it.  Basically, it's the same thing as walking into Staples or any store, picking up a piece of software off the shelf and walking out without paying for it.  Wink

Now, I wouldn't *quite* equate it with theft. That's not fair. I'm not using any trickery to not pay for winrar, nor any illegitimate means. I'm saying that to use winrar in the same fashion you did during the trial period, i.e. pop-up free, you have to pay. Otherwise you just have to put up with the annoying message, which, like I said, you only see if you open the file with winrar. That's the way the company intended it to work. Not at all the same as walking out of a store without paying for software, which I would never in a billion years do. I'm almost offended by that.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 04, 00:40:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can set Winrar to be the default program to open both zip and rar files, or just rar files. Check your settings.

Sorry Brynne...my computer knowledge is just shining through here! LOL

Do you mean the settings in Winrar? If so, what do I click to change things back to the way they were?

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 04, 00:43:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe so, yes. But you can also change them by going into the file extensions. In windows explorer, go under "Tools" then "Folder Options" and then click on the file types tab.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 04, 01:03:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Still no luck there.....thanks for the help anyway Brynne.

I'm tempted to uninstall the thing but it may result in a BFBVFS for my files..not sure about that though...or it may mean the files will revert back to the zip files that I know and love  Smiley

*muttering under breath* Fucking stupid Winrarrrrrrgggghhh!!!

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 04, 01:06:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I installed Winrar, used it for one thing (noticed it converted all my files) and then once I was done, I uninstalled it.  No harm done from what I noticed.  Undecided
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 04, 01:23:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm...I don't know what to tell you, then. I have both zip and rar files with no problems.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 04, 01:25:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got both winzip and winrar installed

winrar went in first, and took over all the different zip formats, when winzip was installed, it took over the zip files, leaving all the others for winrar.

You may want to try re-installing winzip, and letting it grab the zip files for itself again.  I find winzip easier to use, but sometimes you need a program to deal with the other file types.
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 04, 01:29:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

aussie, you need to go into *winzip* and check the settings there, and make it the default program for zip files.  Another way to do it is in windows, right click on the file, choose "open with", choose winzip,(you have to browse to the winzip executable file if it isn't in the list), and make sure you check "always use this program to open this type of file" or something of that nature.

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 04, 02:04:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is weird.  I use winrar all the time and it never convert .zip files into .rar files.  Next to the .zip files (on the left) I will see the winrar icon but the files remained .zip files.  The icon is only to show that winrar is the default program now that will open the .zip files but it should not have converted any files into .rar ones.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 04, 02:14:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I payed like a good girl for the Winrar, and I got a "rarkey", which I hold always on my desktop...Smiley. I think it's about 20$.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 04, 02:26:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But, see, I'm not a "bad girl" for not paying. I just think putting up with the stupid warning, which I never see anyway, is well worth a free program. And it is an option put there by the program itself, so I've done absolutely nothing wrong.
Jeez, am I alone in this??? I don't mean to get all annoyed and stuff, but I resent the implication that I'm stealing.
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 04, 02:53:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Brynne - You're not alone.  I also use the free WinRAR client.  This type of software is nicknamed nag-ware for a reason.  If I find that I'm using a nag-ware program on a regular basis for a long period of time, I will consider buying it.  I bought the original WinZip for this reason.  But WinRAR is different - I only use it because others post downloads in that format.  When I'm making my own compressed file archives, I'll use WinZip.  If I used WinRAR for my own purposes rather than being forced to use it because others chose to, then I'd consider sending them some money.

---
Torkle
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 04, 02:58:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But, see, I'm not a "bad girl" for not paying. I just think putting up with the stupid warning, which I never see anyway, is well worth a free program. And it is an option put there by the program itself, so I've done absolutely nothing wrong.
Jeez, am I alone in this??? I don't mean to get all annoyed and stuff, but I resent the implication that I'm stealing.

No, you're not alone. I haven't dl'd or used WinRar yet but I do use WinZip. I'm still using it at "freeware" because I don't use it on a regular basis. Since most of the .rar or .zip files I use are for Sim I actually use File Maid the most. Everybody's got to do what's best for them. YMMV  Wink
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 04, 03:05:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Brynne, Winrar was a free program - I had it too. So don't feel like if you have stolen it.

My problem began, when I bought a new computer, half a year ago. I had to pay for all the programs that until then I always got for free.

Thus, I paid too for the Gator, which I installed few years ago for free.

And I had to pay for the Winzip too.

All these softwares turned to be now "payable". Sheesh...Sad
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 04, 03:21:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Still no luck there.....thanks for the help anyway Brynne.

I'm tempted to uninstall the thing but it may result in a BFBVFS for my files..not sure about that though...or it may mean the files will revert back to the zip files that I know and love  Smiley

*muttering under breath* Fucking stupid Winrarrrrrrgggghhh!!!

Open the WinRAR application. Or double-click on any .rar/.zip file.

From the menu (File, Commands, Tools, etc) select the one that says Options and choose Settings....

A box will pop up. It will have some tabs at the top. Choose the one called Integration.

You'll be looking at the following screen:

This is where you choose which files to associate with WinRAR. Select just the .rar checkbox.

Fail.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 04, 03:56:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks everyone for the help and input....it is much appreciated  Smiley

I followed all advice and the only thing that fixed the 'problem' was uninstalling the program.

I may reinstall Winrarrrgghh!! at a later date if/when it's needed again.   Undecided

Cheers

astraled
Asinine Airhead

Minty Fresh!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 December 04, 03:58:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use Alzip! It's completely free for private users, no nagging, no reminders, will handle zips and rars. Also, it has cute little animal icons Lips sealed.

http://www.altools.net/

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 December 04, 04:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cute little animal icons! I'm sold! lol
Thanks for the advice, astraled. I think I'll look into that.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 December 04, 14:49:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're not doing anything wrong. It's a shareware program - shareware means that people that can afford to, or feel they use a program enough to justify it, pay for it and others don't... more or less like donating if you want to support a site but you don't have to. The option to use it without paying is there for a reason. Some companies put out a smaller version of their full program as shareware - I use bbedit lite and have for years. If you don't need the options, you never need to buy the full program (but it still reminds you it exists as an option.) They get name recognition from you using it whether you pay for it or not. You might tell other people where to get it (rather than one with cute animal icons ;) and *those* people might buy the program. In any case, it's working as intended. Lots of standard programs people use today started out as freeware (no nags) or shareware, and the method has served the companies well.

Unsouper
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: