More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 13:39:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540271 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Firefox died on me
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Firefox died on me  (Read 3153 times)
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Firefox died on me
« on: 2006 November 21, 09:00:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As the topic title says, Firefox died on me. Last night it was working perfectly fine. I log off my computer, start it again this morning, and it won't work.
What happens is that as soon as I double click the icon (or the .exe file in the program directory), the window does open, but freezes immediately. On some occasions I can see it open and make two tabs (?) and then freeze.
The same happens after a complete reinstall.

I really don't want to be stuck with Internet Explorer, as I abhor it. Any ideas? I use the 2.0 version incase that helps.
« Last Edit: 2006 November 21, 09:10:49 by Nepheris » Logged
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Firefox died on me
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 21, 10:32:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Get Opera. It is far better than Furryfox anyway (it is where all of Firefox's "new ideas" tend to get stolen from).

Plus it is a lot smaller, and does everything out of the box instead of having to install hundreds of dodgy incompatible "extensions".
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 21, 10:41:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmh I'll give it a try, but I'd really like fuzzyfox to work, too. It's got all my bookmarks, for example. And I'm used to it and I'm one of those horrid stick-with-what-works persons.

Some updates: Safe mode doesn't work either, and before it freezes it displays the line 'trying to connect to nl.mozzilla.start.com'.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 21, 10:45:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you check for spyware on your system? I know some spyware kills browsers other than MSIE.

Before reinstalling Furryfox, did you remove all extensions from your user directory? Each time I had Furryfox installed it eventually self-destructed because of extensions, and some of them were in the DocsSettings\Userdata directory so I didn't catch them at first.
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 21, 10:56:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I run Hitman Pro regularly, but I'll clean out my system again just in case. Didn't find any folders related to firefox in the Userdata folder.
I cleared out the entire mozilla map after uninstalling (as it leaves some components still there), but that didn't help. Note that the fox was borked before reinstalling, too, so I'm not sure that's the issue.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 21, 11:13:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look for C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\ -- there should be something there.
This directory is hidden by default on Windoze systems.
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 21, 11:43:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks! I did that, cleared everything out and reinstalled, and le fox is running smoothly again. I'd skip around and do a happy dance, but somehow that feels too undignified and I'm sure Pescado would scalp me for it.

So thanks, thanks very much. Have a couple of baa's.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: