More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 18:25:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Poncy Promenade - why not rent a house instead?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Poncy Promenade - why not rent a house instead?  (Read 22734 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Poncy Promenade - why not rent a house instead?
« Reply #25 on: 2008 September 16, 12:05:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, waving the magic wand All Over The Lot is not really necessary, the simple act of waving it into the playable area at all performs the task.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 September 16, 12:10:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh Shite!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008 September 16, 19:45:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a brilliant setup. It never occurred to me that you could create a little housing estate with AL. 

One of the lots that comes with AL (found in the lot bin) is a pretty nice duplex that looks like it doesn't require much modification to be really useful.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 September 20, 08:13:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just posting to say that the lot has been updated. There were several minor glitches tngrspacecadet noticed and I have fixed those and re-uploaded.

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 2008 September 21, 00:26:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I put this in my neighborhood, across the street from two other large houses, and I got this.  Since I haven't ever seen anything like it before and it seems to extend the length of the apartment lot over the other houses, it looks like apartment is the problem.  Or is there something wrong with my neighborhood?

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 September 21, 01:52:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen a mention of this in the last few days. Do a search, I have a vague idea people have been getting oddities when moving occupied apartments. I don't think it's to do with this lot specifically.

Bummer!

PS. I don't think it's a level problem, just had another look at the pic, because I'm pretty sure I tried to find a level plot for something this large. Though I wonder if it could be the underground garages? I don't have any other lots close to mine, to see.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 21, 01:57:45 by witch » Logged

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2008 September 21, 03:11:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I did find that thread but it doesn't really give me a clue as to why this happened.  I didn't move it at all - I just put it in one place and left it there.  I did rezone it to residential (before moving anyone in) because some of the CC doors you put in one of the apartments were not showing up, thus rendering most of the rooms not part of the apartment.  (It didn't reenable build mode stuff though, so eventually I'll have to move everyone out and use the cheats discussed in the War Room, if I can remember to write them down.)  The order of events was basically: 1) moved family in 2) moved family out 3) rezoned to residential 4) exited without saving 5) moved family in.  Would that have maybe messed it up?

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2008 September 21, 08:06:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You would definitely have needed to save after making it a residential lot. Otherwise the game would have thought it was still an apartment.

I didn't have any CC doors, they must have been from a pack you don't have. (Maybe Glamour Life?) The only stuff in the lot was Maxis stuff.

Try placing the same lot from the bin in a test hood and see what happens.

Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008 September 21, 09:05:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@rufio: It is a good idea to always first place new lots in a completely flat test/building neighbourhood. I let the Sim Bin characters test the new places out.

Then any structural changes I want to make are saved, and I rename the lot so that I can see it is one that I changed, move the sims out, put the new version into the Bin and lastly delete the original from the Bin.

If it is a nicely furnished lot and there are furnishings that I want to save, like witch's, I test-play, make notes of changes that I want to make and then plonk a fresh version of the same lot down so that I can edit it and save it to the Bin with all the furnishings intact.

Also, use Clean Installer and/or inspect downloads folder after playing each new lot as witch said. There is often gunk that comes along with somebody else's lot.

Also, the game is silly. I had no problems DLing the residential version and converting it to an apartment lot, but for some reason the game thought that the FT teddy bears were custom objects and flashed blue. Possibly because they can be created in-game or bought in Buy Mode.

I really love building and design for sims so test-playing and alterations are a lot of fun for me, so I take a lot of time with them.

More F than you
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 September 21, 10:03:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, the game is silly. I had no problems DLing the residential version and converting it to an apartment lot, but for some reason the game thought that the FT teddy bears were custom objects and flashed blue. Possibly because they can be created in-game or bought in Buy Mode.

They flashed blue for me after I re-installed the lot as well.  Cheesy

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2008 September 21, 18:13:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You would definitely have needed to save after making it a residential lot. Otherwise the game would have thought it was still an apartment.

No, I wanted it as an apartment; I rezoned to residential in the hope of getting access to the build mode tools, but when that didn't work I exited without saving.

I didn't have any CC doors, they must have been from a pack you don't have. (Maybe Glamour Life?) The only stuff in the lot was Maxis stuff.

I don't have any SPs, so that's probably what happened.

Try placing the same lot from the bin in a test hood and see what happens.

Ok, will do.  What cheats do I need to put in more doors?  Will the apartment update itself include the new rooms?

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 September 21, 19:44:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To convert a lot, you have to convert, save, then exit. When you re-enter the lot, it is the other type of lot.

To convert a lot to apartments.
Enter lot.
Ctrl Shift C to bring up the command line.
Type: changeLotZoning apartmentbase
Save and exit.

To convert a lot to residential.

Enter lot.
Ctrl Shift C to bring up the command line.
Type: changeLotZoning residential
Save and exit.

Make all your building changes in residential mode.

There have been some issues for people downloading apartment lots, which is why I offered a residential for download as well. I use the residential in my lot bin, then convert once it is placed in the hood. Even so I'm having a random driveway error. If I click 'Cancel', the lot seems to keep its driveways OK.

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 2008 September 21, 20:00:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, thanks.  I'll download your new version as residential, fix the doors and rezone it to apartmentbase, and see if the glitch is still there.  (What's the difference between apartmentbase and apartmentsub, anyway?  I saw both listed in the list of cheats, which was why I exited without saving - I didn't know which I should zone it back to.)

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 September 21, 20:34:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado says 'do not use sublots'.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: