More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 21, 09:53:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Q&A Session - Making things fade or not fade as you close in
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Q&A Session - Making things fade or not fade as you close in  (Read 9144 times)
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Q&A Session - Making things fade or not fade as you close in
« on: 2006 February 20, 19:10:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok since we arent allowed to post in the Bowels to find out more info, I am going to have to ask my questions here, in a new thread...

By Inge:
I have had several PMs asking me how to make things fade or not fade as you get close to them.  It's flag #4 of Flag Field 2.

The below code is an example of an Init that *stops* an  object fading.  If you want it to fade, change Clear Flag to Set Flag.

0000 : 2006 : FFFFFFFFFFFFFF87A83E010056A3 : 01 : 0001 : FFFC
[semi 0x2006] Function - Init ()

0001 : 2003 : FFFFFFFFFFFFFF4CF4120000C98D : 01 : 0002 : FFFC
[semi 0x2003] Init - Ceiling ()

0002 : 0002 : 28000400000A0300000000000000 : 01 : FFFD : FFFC
[prim 0x0002] Expression (My 0x0028 (flag field 2) Clear Flag flag# Literal 0x0004 (Obstructs View))

Ok here are the questions part...

I think I know what you are talking about but I am not sure. I looked at the ceiling init in action bhavs (under Object Functions) and I have the last line except mine is "set flag". Now when you talk about clearing or setting flags, I get lost because I dont know how to set or clear a flag or how to change those values. Could you please provide some additional info on how to clear and set flags or what you mean by that? I have about 100 hanging lamps and a few other things I would like to make not fade without having to utilize a special camera mod to achieve this as I dont really like the one that is available that incorporates this function.

Or perhaps you could point me to a tutorial that specifically deals with this function and how to change the values of this particular function. I know there are bhav editing tutorials out there, but I havent been able to make much sense of them yet, so additional information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Re: Q&A Session - Making things fade or not fade as you close in
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 20, 19:31:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually perhaps I should ask you more about what you want to acheive as an end result - would you like *all* ceiling lamps to stay visible, or just a particular one or two you are making?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 20, 19:42:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well that opens up a whole new can of worms doesn't it?

To tell the truth I would like all ceiling lamps to not fade, as well as all open staircases (the kind that aren't solid custom or stock, but not necessarily just connecting ones), in addition to that I think I would also like walls to fade, it would make some aspects of picture taking easier rather than having to remove a wall to get a shot, although I doubt there is a way to tell it to fade or not fade based on camera distance to the wall in question.

But for now, I would like all ceiling lamps to not fade, custom and stock, I believe that would require making some sort of over ride package? A global over ride? (I think that is what it's called - no pointing and laughing!)
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 20, 19:47:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok well do you particularly *want* to do this yourself, or are you happy if someone makes it for you?  It shouldn't take long.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 20, 20:46:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That requires a two-prong response.

Sure it would be great to have a package that over rides all ceiling lamps made for me, as I don't have enough confidence in myself at this point to even consider tackling building some sort of over ride package without extensive hand holding. However having said that, getting a premade package made by someone else will not enable to me to learn how to change those values on say a few open staircases I have that I would like to not fade as well.

To do for myself...you know something about teaching a man (or woman) to fish kind of deal. So either way I guess, if it's too much of a hassle to teach me how to change those values independently then a package would be dandy and I will greatly appreciate the time and effort that you will have spent doing that. (but I am still going to want to know how to change those flags…it will gnaw at me - GNAW at me like a flesh eating virus!)

Grin
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 20, 21:05:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The main problem with teaching someone at the time of need is I don't know what level to start from.  Have they looked at a BHAV in SimPe before?  Have they ever changed one line?  Do they even know where to get SimPe?

So if by some remote chance Pescado asked me this I would just say "Oh you clear flag #4 of flag fields 2" and he would know how to apply that info.   I could post many messages to someone else on the same subject and then find out on message 8 that they didn't know what "BHAV" means

That's why would-be simantics modders are so often advised to work through some tutorials first, it's so that by the time they've thought of a real task they wish to implement, they have enough rudiments of what's going on and terminology that they'll have a good chance of understanding the advice or at least knowing which bit they need to ask more about.

So, I'm happy to talk you through it if you can let me know what programming or sims modding background you already have.  I take it you don't already know about the relationship between an individual object and its semi-global (class) files?

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 20, 21:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will tell you what I do know. I know what SimPe is; I have it and have used it for many months for various things. I know kinda what a global versus a semi global is although I often get them confused - I think a global will affect all bhavs where a semi global will affect a certain class of objects or instances. Really I dunno. I am guessing based on what I have read and what I see peering into packages.

I generally know where bhavs are located and how to find them, what I don't know is how to change them or really what they mean when I look at the lines I can only guess based on what it reads. I know that it should read like a script of sorts, if this then go to line that and so on. I know that the "script" for all the bhavs I have attempted to look at, look like a spider built a web on lsd and Maxis went with it. I only know a little about if and else statements from using vb in building databases and I am not really sure if that is even applicable to this.

So yeah I don't know a whole lot but a little more than your average bbser. I generally limit myself to changing simple values in the object data set and so on. I can make stuff, by cloning from something else and I know the basics of putting a package together. However, I am by no means a modder of any sort, and unfortunately I learn better by doing than just reading something that doesn't really apply to the task I want to accomplish. Which, is why reading the simantics tut at SimPe about changing the fun level of an object really didn't make any sense to me because it has nothing to do with what I want to accomplish. Maybe it does, but since they aren't dealing with fading or not fading…ok maybe my attention span is a little short…I feel like I have to understand the whole entire system just to change one thing and that is a bit daunting to me at this point without a coach.

So point me to the tuts which make the most sense for this application and I will go read them and see if I can make heads or tails of clearing and setting flags, changing the values, adding/editing bhavs etc.

And now, I have used up my word limit for the day…lol
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 20, 21:48:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok then this is a summary of what you have to do to make all ceiling lamps not fade:

1) Open objects.package, filter by LampGlobals, and then extract BHAV #2003 "Init - ceiling"
2) Start a new package in Simpe (File/New)
3) Add your extracted BHAV and save to any name you like.
4) Open the single BHAV in your new package
5) Edit line 0 so that "set flag" says "clear flag".  That is done by changing the parameter box that says "09" to say "0A"
6) Save and place in your downloads.  Most of your ceiling lamps *bought after this* will not fade any longer.  Lamps already in place will continue to fade as they already ran their init before you changed it.

An alternative which I personally would do is make a controller object that would change that flag for all lamps already bought, and be able to change it back again whenever you want.  You can get an idea how to do that by looking at my ceiling tile controller, which offers that facility for ceiling tiles as one of its options.   The ceiling tiles and their controller are at MTS2

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 20, 22:10:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

uh from NL or Sims2?

sorry...

And where are you seeing BHAV #2003? The instance? I have a init ceiling: Behavior Funtion (BHAV 0x42484156) Instance 0x00002003

Is that what you are referring to? Do I extract the whole thing? Well it must be the whole thing because I dont seem to be able to extract any of the lines in plugin view, only paste

And I take it none of the Actions - Do fades Actions Fade Off and on, have nothing to do with this?

parameter box? operands maybe? (yes operands it worked when I changed the value 09 to 0A - so I guess each of those little boxes is a parameter box...in operands) I am using the NL objects package currently although I extracted them both just in case...I guess we will see if I did it right or not in a few minutes)

I cant even form complete sentences now, thats what happens when you use up your words...

Well I did something wrong because it didnt work.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 20, 22:30:14 by nectere » Logged
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 20, 22:21:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use the objects.package from your latest EP

When I say BHAV #2003 I am taking the last 4 figures from the Instance number, so you have identified the right one.  Extract the whole BHAV.  It will form your patch.

The do fades stuff isn't relevant to this, and yes parameters are operands as far as Opcode 2 is concerned.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 20, 22:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK I did exactly what you said in reply 7 and it didnt do anything. I made a new lot placed several hanging lamps plus a custom and they all faded.

So when you say "Most of your ceiling lamps *bought after this* will not fade any longer." are you saying that some will still fade? Am I not picking the right ceiling lamps to test?

Ok I am going to make a new package again and try again...
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 20, 22:39:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well upload or send me the package then I can see if you really did exactly what I said Cheesy

Most means all lamps that use the original semiglobals.  That will exclude some custom made lamps, and there may be the odd Maxis lamp that doesn't do it, but I doubt that.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 20, 22:46:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

on this new package - long or short index?

I realize I should know this but I am currently confused and annoyed that I dont know.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 20, 22:52:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm interrupting your regularly scheduled Q&A to announce that I appreciate very much you all having this conversation here. I find it interesting even tho I'm not now (and may never) trying to accomplish this :)

Oh and Inge I missed the ceiling tile controller. That must come in very handy for screenshots for stories. Thanks! <off to look for it>

Unsouper
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 20, 22:53:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nectere, if you are asking me long or short index, it forces me to ask which version of SimPe you are using?  I haven't been asked that many versions since.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 20, 22:57:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge I run 52 classic gui, I am comfortable with that and like it, havent bothered to upgrade because I like to wait until all the kinks are worked out of the latest version.

Anyway, I feel like a dumb ass now because after you said to upload it I went back and checked the package in Simpe because I dare not upload a package with a simple mistake in it...what do you know - low and behold my change for whatever reason did not take when I committed file and saved, it had reverted back to 09 from 0A.

So the long and short is now I have a package that keeps the ceiling lamps from fading!

Thank you!

So now the question begs to be asked is this the same procedure I would use on a stair case (roughly)? (obviously not doing an override package but just a single staircase or two)
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 20, 23:02:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All's well that ends well, but if you downloaded the latest SimPe and used the standard interface that would be less likely to happen.  It would also make it a lot easier for me to help you in the future as I can't really describe what you should be seeing or what to click if you have an obsolete version, apart from the fact that the plugins don't work properly in classic so are more likely to give you errors.

Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 23, 14:57:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Something I may as well ask here - it's vaguely on-topic. In The Sims (1), there were three options for wall dropping/fading: all walls dropped, no walls dropped, and then an inbetween state which dropped the walls immediately in front of the sims you were viewing, but left the other 3 walls of the room intact. Sims 2 doesn't have this. While it has a middle stage of wall-droppingness, it always drops a minimum of 2 walls - including walls that aren't in the way of the camera! This means it's almost impossible to get a "realistic" shot while in wall-dropping mode, and you have to either live with that (if you're less perfectionist than me), or go around deleting walls to take the photos, then replacing them again.

Has anyone made a hack (possibly a camera hack) that restores the middle mode from The Sims (1)? Would it even be possible? I know about things like Numenor's invisible walls, but frankly, replacing walls with invisible walls just to take photos is almost more hassle than just deleting the wall to take the photo, then replacing it or quitting without saving.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 23, 15:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not place an open archway to take the shots through?  That won't disturb your existing wall decor when you take it out again.  You just have to plan the house so that there are one or two wall sections without objects on them in each room so it will accept the arch being placed.

Also you could just turn the camera so you take the shot against the outer wall in each room.   Or you could build the house castellated so each room has 3 outside walls.  Put a tall tree in front of each indent to obscure it if necessary Cheesy

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 23, 16:03:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those are great ideas Inge, except when you enter design contests and the house has to be designed a certain way, or interior design contests where the house is furnished to you as specified and can not be changed. All great ideas though, thanks for sharing.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 23, 17:53:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well the arch you can do anyway it's no more cheating than removing the wall temporarily

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 25, 13:37:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I have to assume then its not currently possible to affect the way walls drop or not
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 25, 13:39:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Certainly not to my knowledge, no.  We all want that.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: