More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 01:33:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Subfolders for downloads?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Subfolders for downloads?  (Read 22880 times)
simaddict
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Subfolders for downloads?
« on: 2009 June 04, 04:56:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello, I'm wondering if it's possible to do subfolders like we did in TS2. I like to keep my downloads organized but w/ all the different steps I've ready about installing CC I'm totally lost.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Subfolders for downloads?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 04, 05:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahahahahah. Subfolders for downloads. That's a good one. See "The Launcher And You" in Facts.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
mibsywibsy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 04, 07:24:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, you can totally do this if you have your Resources.cfg set up properly. I already have mine set up to snarf packages from folders one level down from the standard Mods/Packages directory that all the MTS, sims3tools, etc people seem to be working as a default. Works fine, I have the into-skip mod, HystericalParoxysm's patterns, the hidden traits unlocker, etc etc up and running in my game, and they all live in their own little anal-retentively named and organized sub-folders. It's just, you know, subfolders in the actual installed program directory of Sims3, not the blob of crap it spews into your home directory. My Resources.cfg looks like this (the relevant lines are "Priority 498" and what's just below it):
Code:
Priority 501
DirectoryFiles  Mods/Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Mods/Test/*.package
Priority 498
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Mods/Probation/*.package

AVAST YE NERDS
delete_me
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 04, 12:25:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, you can totally do this if you have your Resources.cfg set up properly...
My Resources.cfg looks like this (the relevant lines are "Priority 498" and what's just below it):
Code:
Priority 501
DirectoryFiles  Mods/Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
Priority 499
Priority 498
Priority -50

Does this mean that I can go even further down in sub-levels by adding
Priority 497
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.package

and further down by lowering priority by one step and adding another */ for each new sub-level i want to add?
mibsywibsy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 04, 12:42:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Should be, yeah. The only thing you'd have to watch out for is if the modders decide to start using those priorities for something else in order to assure compatibility between mods (like the old zz_* filenames for TS2).

This is only for mods and community based-CC, though, not the EA store crap. Although maybe people will come up with a way to load those from Resources.cfg too; that'd be nice, given that the Download Manager is apparently a braindead piece of shit.

AVAST YE NERDS
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 04, 17:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In theory, you could get EAxis content to load from resources.cfg, but it wouldn't HELP, since the names of EAxis content files are TOTALLY USELESS. I personally advocate that the community boycott the horrid launcher method, as it becomes COMPLETELY UNMANAGEABLE in a GIANT UNSORTED LIST OF POO, and leave that as the hellhole of EAxis content.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Kittycataussie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 08, 01:45:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, so I am not the best when it comes to making crap work, but I have a folder in my Sims 3 folder that says "Downloads" is this what the launcher eats and turns into fertilizer? Because what I see in mine has everything named like normal things. If I am just a dummy reading things inside out please don't be offended, I just seem to have an uncanny ability to find exactly what I am looking for, but have it turn out to be the wrong thing.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 08, 02:05:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, so I am not the best when it comes to making crap work, but I have a folder in my Sims 3 folder that says "Downloads" is this what the launcher eats and turns into fertilizer? Because what I see in mine has everything named like normal things. If I am just a dummy reading things inside out please don't be offended, I just seem to have an uncanny ability to find exactly what I am looking for, but have it turn out to be the wrong thing.

What is in Downloads, should be just the Sim3pack files. Those are not the real downloads that are read by the game. Those are just like Sim2pack files, the items in the launcher installs from that folder. As a test, you can put a Sims3pack on your desktop, double click it, the launcher will open, now install the item. You should now have two copies of the Sim3pack. One on your desktop, one in the Downloads folder. Or at least, that seems to be how it was working for me.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 20, 20:07:06 by morriganrant » Logged

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Baronet
SimDebster
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 10, 01:35:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In theory, you could get EAxis content to load from resources.cfg, but it wouldn't HELP, since the names of EAxis content files are TOTALLY USELESS. I personally advocate that the community boycott the horrid launcher method, as it becomes COMPLETELY UNMANAGEABLE in a GIANT UNSORTED LIST OF POO, and leave that as the hellhole of EAxis content.

How can we circumvent the launcher?  I am all for boycotting it.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 10, 03:22:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How can we circumvent the launcher?  I am all for boycotting it.

Jfadetool, Echotool, Petertool, Delphytool... pick one Wink.
I personally recommend Jfade's, because of the shiny awesome features, Mac functionality and above all because he's Jfade Wink.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
rhldavies
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 20, 12:13:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've just learnt that I can no longer keep my CC in subfolders if I want to use Pescado's AwesomeMod. Bawww.

I got someone to double check what I was doing with installing everything and he came to the conclusion that somewhere in the AwesomeMod, it changed how other hacks/mods are recognised by the game. I tried 2 mods in particular, 'nomosaic' and 'nointro' by rick on MTS (they were the fastest to test) and they both stopped working as soon as they were put in subfolders.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

R.I.P. Munti 25/01/08 - You made me a better person. I miss you so much it hurts.
mibsywibsy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 20, 12:23:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got someone to double check what I was doing with installing everything and he came to the conclusion that somewhere in the AwesomeMod, it changed how other hacks/mods are recognised by the game. I tried 2 mods in particular, 'nomosaic' and 'nointro' by rick on MTS (they were the fastest to test) and they both stopped working as soon as they were put in subfolders.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Unless ElPresidente did something truly odd in the latest version of his version of the framework, it shouldn't be an issue. I use the Delphy framework, but I used the Pescado framework before that, and I have both of those mods, along with AwesomeMod and a bunch of others, each in their own sub-directory, under the "Hacks" subdirectory. It all works fine. Try using Delphy's, if you're not already.

AVAST YE NERDS
rhldavies
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 June 20, 13:38:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much mibsywibsy.

What you said made me think the problem might be to do with the Resource.cfg file, so I rooted around and I found it was the problem after all.

From what I understand... Pescado's Resource.cfg doesn't seem to have the option (yet maybe?) to allow sub-foldering, whereas Delphy's Resource.cfg allows up to 4 levels of sub-foldering.

I'd previously installed Delphy's TS3 Installer before Pescado's AwesomeMod. I should have done it the other way around. Pes's AwesomeMod then Delphy's TS3 Installer.

*slaps forhead in shame*

R.I.P. Munti 25/01/08 - You made me a better person. I miss you so much it hurts.
rhldavies
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 June 20, 13:51:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you Jordi, this will be very useful.

Edit:

I used it on Pescado's Resource.cfg and replaced Delphy's to stop the awesome hack from crashing when loading and it worked (yay!)

Many Baa'ings to you Jordi!
« Last Edit: 2009 June 20, 14:01:35 by rhldavies » Logged

socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 June 22, 11:38:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

P&L demand -  but I cannot remember how to repack the stupid file once I've opened the blasted thing.  I saved the .cfg after changing and now its saved as a notepad file.   If someone could please explain how to save properly, I'd appreciate it.  My brain, please find it.

I'd like to have an excuse for my lack of rememberation, but I have only brain-fartage.  It stinks.

..."you should certainly be well-read in a subject before you pass judgement on it," Solowren
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 June 22, 12:23:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

P&L demand -  but I cannot remember how to repack the stupid file once I've opened the blasted thing.  I saved the .cfg after changing and now its saved as a notepad file.

It is a notepad (text) file, there's nothing to repack. Just be sure it ends in .cfg and not .txt and it's fine.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 June 23, 03:34:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I made sure it ended in .cfg and not .txt, but the file still looked like a notepad doc.  I thought I was doing it wrong.  Thanks for clarifying for me. 

After I altered the .cfg file, all my neighborhoods are now red.  REDRUM anyone?  It has to be my alteration, since it was fine beforehand, yes?

Thank you Marhis.  You seem to help my halpless self on more than one occasion.  My nooby brain-fartedness.  It are huge!

..."you should certainly be well-read in a subject before you pass judgement on it," Solowren
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 June 23, 05:44:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I made sure it ended in .cfg and not .txt, but the file still looked like a notepad doc.  I thought I was doing it wrong.  Thanks for clarifying for me. 

After I altered the .cfg file, all my neighborhoods are now red.  REDRUM anyone?  It has to be my alteration, since it was fine beforehand, yes?

Thank you Marhis.  You seem to help my halpless self on more than one occasion.  My nooby brain-fartedness.  It are huge!

Apparently, the red-ness happens when you have the AwesomeMod in the wrong folder. So either you have it in the wrong folder, or your game doesn't know where to look for it. I assume that you changed the correct resource.cfg file? As there are several in different folders. My guess is that it is still displaying the icon as a notepad file because now notepad recognizes it. So long as it ends in .cfg it should be fine.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
bottles
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 June 23, 17:10:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're on a mac, all you have to do is right click the file and choose a label. It looks like this:

I'm not sure you can do that with windows but it seems likely.

So far, all I've got is Awesomemod, minor hacks, default replacements, and patterns in my .packages, so... yeah.

Beyond that, I suppose subfolders would be useful for creator, or at LEAST source website.

socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 June 24, 12:14:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless it was tightpants, I can't explain the redness.  I installed the awesome in the c:/blah/blah/Sims3/mods/package folder.   I am having difficulty getting the game to recognize downloads installed using anything but the EAxian manager, so duplicity could be an issue. 

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 June 24, 17:27:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless it was tightpants, I can't explain the redness.  I installed the awesome in the c:/blah/blah/Sims3/mods/package folder.   I am having difficulty getting the game to recognize downloads installed using anything but the EAxian manager, so duplicity could be an issue.  

Eh, I had to modify the resource.cfg that Jordi gave. I had to take the file "package" out of the directions. The 3viewer installed some folders for custom, along with itself, I opted out of installing it's resource file. Instead of them all being in the Mods\package folder, they are just in Mods. Mods\Modtest, Mods\Patterns, Mods\Packages. So you may want to have a good look at your resource file and where it points compared to to your file arrangement. Then go through your downloads a bit and sort them.
« Last Edit: 2009 June 25, 00:07:43 by morriganrant » Logged

socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 June 24, 23:57:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since the package files are installed in various locations and copied somewhere else, I presumed it wouldn't be a good idea to just move them about willy-nilly.  I was very happy to find out that I could modify the resource.cfg file to arrange my downloads.  I really miss the good ol' days in Sims 2 when you could just unzip and place in the downloads folder. 

Thanks for the info.  Going to check out the settings now.

adalita
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011 December 08, 22:10:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey I've got a few questions-
I've got my subfolders organised

This resource Cfg is in my C:\Users\****\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 1000
PackedFile Overrides/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Test/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Probation/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

I also have one in my mods folder too
Priority 501
DirectoryFiles  Mods/Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
Priority 499
Priority 498
Priority -50

Which one should I edit to put my folders in correctly
What should my resource.cfg look like?Huh?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 2011 December 08, 22:17:27 by adalita » Logged
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011 December 09, 03:32:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Take the one you have in C:\Users\****\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 and put it in Mods.

adalita
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011 December 09, 07:46:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

okay thanks - I thought that one looked correct!
 Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: