More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 21:29:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Game crashing when I try to build a basement
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Game crashing when I try to build a basement  (Read 5065 times)
Rainne
Dimwitted Dunce

Oh, fuck.

View Profile
Game crashing when I try to build a basement
« on: 2010 April 29, 22:40:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I absolutely can not figure out what the problem is.  For CC, I have AM, NRaas's career and school mods, one custom career and one that makes the martial arts and nectar-making skill books available for purchase.

I haven't played in awhile, so when I loaded up today, I upgraded AM and also my patches.  I know the patches are right (finally) because I'm not getting the core mismatch error any more.

The problem is, I'm trying to build a basement onto the house I'm playing.  I go to Build Mode, I click the Basements icon, and the game crashes to desktop.  Every single time.

I can't find any information about this and I have no idea what the problem may be.  Can anyone help?

Thanks.

<br />Probably because you suck.<br />
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
Re: Game crashing when I try to build a basement
« Reply #1 on: 2010 April 29, 22:55:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see if you have default replacement skins, but when I had CTD problem with the basement/pool tool, I had HP adult default replacement skins in my game. When I removed them, the game didn't crash anymore.  Tried alot of the other default replacement skins that were created before WA EP came out, they crashed too. This may not be the case for you, but removing these skins stopped the crashing for my game.

I suggest removing any other default replacements (tops, bottoms, accessories) one at a time and testing to see if they cause the CTD. I stop using defaults after my problems with the basement/pool tool.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
Rainne
Dimwitted Dunce

Oh, fuck.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 April 29, 23:03:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To my knowledge I do not have any default replacement anythings.  I'll double check though.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Smiley

Edit: It is definitely not CC.  I removed all my CC except the mods noted above and am still having the same problem.
« Last Edit: 2010 April 29, 23:19:34 by Rainne » Logged

Jeeves
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 April 29, 23:56:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does the house have a pool? I can't remember the specifics of the problem, but I've had an issue like this as well. It was something like plopping down a house with a pool or basement causes basement and pool building tools to break. Only solution I've seen to this is sledgehammer-ing the pool/basement, moving the house to the bin, and re-plopping it. I've had to do this to several houses and haven't had problems with them since.

If it is an existing house, it couldn't hurt to try, but I've never had this happen to one that wasn't yanked from the bin.

Quote from: Asstear
6. Banned me from my own forum
Rainne
Dimwitted Dunce

Oh, fuck.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 April 30, 01:05:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aha.  Yes, this house did come from the bin and yes, it does have a pool.  That answers that question.  Thank you very much.

Dienvae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 April 30, 12:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting. Thanks, Jeeves. I had downloaded a house from MTS that crashed every time I clicked on the swimming pool tool to delete it and it bothered me not knowing what the hell was wrong. Mystery solved.
Miao
Asinine Airhead

ISTP/INTP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 April 30, 22:05:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been having the same problem as Rainne, and I tried the method that Jeeves suggested, but without success. It's only happening with one of the existing houses in the custom-made neighborhood I'd downloaded. On one other houses I'd plopped in the neighborhood from the Library, I can successfully build basements even though it had a pool when it was saved to the Library; the only possible difference between this house and the problematic one is that I had built the pool in the former before saving it to the Library. Both houses have basements built in the traditional, pre-WA way (inside the foundation).

I'm going to delete all the objects in the -1 level and try Jeeves' method again to see if it works. It's puzzling...maybe the problem lies in the -1 level itself.

Traits: Unflirty, Loner, Frugal, Neurotic, No Sense of Humor, Good, Perfectionist.
Loves: spaghetti, indie, and lilac.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 April 30, 22:38:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can have difficulty laying basements if the lot has a lot of variation in the ground level around the area that you want the basement.  Ponds can also affect the ability to lay a basement.     
Miao
Asinine Airhead

ISTP/INTP

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 May 01, 01:36:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can have difficulty laying basements if the lot has a lot of variation in the ground level around the area that you want the basement.  Ponds can also affect the ability to lay a basement.    
The problem lot has no ponds, and I've had no problems laying down basements in houses with ponds because I leave a good distance between the ponds and the basement. The lot I mentioned previously on which I could successfully lay down a basement also had quite a bit of variation in the ground level under the foundation, and other lots on which I have successfully built basements had uneven ground elevation as well (and even came with pools).

Thankfully, I can now place basements without crashing on the problematic lot. I moved all of the objects that appeared in -1 to the ground level and deleted the staircase that also appeared in -1. I then saved a copy of the lot to the Library, bulldozed the existing lot, and put a copy back on the plot.

So, if anyone with the crashing issue still encounters it after they followed Jeeves' directions, they should go back onto the lots to move or delete everything that appears in the -1 (or basement) levels, and then follow Jeeves' solution again. If you did it correctly, when you go back into the lot after replacing it, you shouldn't be able to go down to the -1 level.
« Last Edit: 2010 May 01, 01:54:38 by Miao » Logged

Traits: Unflirty, Loner, Frugal, Neurotic, No Sense of Humor, Good, Perfectionist.
Loves: spaghetti, indie, and lilac.
haifen
Crapsack
Retarded Reprobate

#hashtag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 May 02, 06:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

offtopic: your sig makes you seem like a horrible bore.  Cheesy

16:29   spockers   I fucking hate going to see movies in theaters now.
16:30   spockers   Unless it's a really fancy old-style movie palace type place, but even then some dick will pull out their Appleberry in the middle of the film and start tweeting about wanting Chris Brown to beat them up
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 May 02, 10:30:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to add that when I had the basement tool crashing problem, I deleted the pool, went back into edit town to save it, then went back to the lot in buy/build mode to add my basement and re-add the pool. Since I had sims living there at the time, I moved them out temporarily while I fixed this. This method worked, and I did not have to save the lot to the library as part of the fix - as it turns out I did save it, but only after I added the basement and put the pool back in.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 May 02, 10:43:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have encountered this issue with one of Ugly Jailbird's lots. It doesn't seem like there's any identifiable cause or fix, except to burninate the corrupted lot.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: