More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 10, 10:23:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Celebrations Stuffit - Anything i should know?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Celebrations Stuffit - Anything i should know?  (Read 10850 times)
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
Celebrations Stuffit - Anything i should know?
« on: 2007 April 17, 22:25:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So on a whim of madness while bored at work, I ordered Celebrations Stuffit off teh interwebz and if the couriers dont fuck up I should recieve it today.
Ive had a quick look round MATY and I can't see any actual reported problems, the most i can gather is that, it does not have its own executable to run and that Joshure and a few others in Retardoland have nothing helpful to report about it Tongue

So just wondering, does anyone know of any mad issues?  Will my sims heads explode?  Or is this just a stuff pack with no known problems? 

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: Celebrations Stuffit - Anything i should know?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 April 17, 23:05:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We've encountered issues with changing names and changing the clock format to 24 hour time.

Even though it's just a stuff pack and in the past we've been able to get away with it...  it's absolutely VITAL that you remove your hoods for install.  We got the clock fixed, and sorta fixed the names...  lets just say it was kinda disturbing to have a male sim called Rebecca.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 April 17, 23:41:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ive had a quick look round MATY and I can't see any actual reported problems, the most i can gather is that, it does not have its own executable to run ...

Actually, it does have its own executable, but it's at OFB/GS/FFS level -- it recognizes if you have Pets or Seasons, and tells you to run the latest EP instead.

Other than that, no big issues -- it will overwrite your camera settings, so if you use a camera mod backup the files first.  It'll also set you back to the 'enable CC' dialog, even though you're not running its executable, so as Ness said, back up your hoods first. And it will reset all your lots, so your sims will be standing by the beds/mailbox/etc when you first go in (but the 'after-patch fix' on the macrotastics controller fixes it).

The problem Ness and others reported were mostly caused by installing different English versions than the already installed game (US vs UK) because Australia and some other places got the wrong version.  Only weird glitch I had was about a week after I installed it, the game just forgot it was there, and none of the stuff showed up anymore.  A quick re-install fixed it, and didn't even cause a reset the second time.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 April 18, 03:27:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Crap i forgot about the name issues.  Im in New Zealand so i bet we got the wrong version as well...
I know theres a thread around here about how to change the registry for that...
What a lot of drama for some damn items i should have just downloaded lol.

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 18, 03:36:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or just ignored it completely like I did.  Cool

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 18, 05:51:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There should be something in the FAQ about how to change the registry strings for locale.  If it's not, it should be.  Tongue
Annette
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 April 18, 07:27:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is the bbs link I put in the other thread. This fix apparently works, but I haven't used it. I figure learning the 24 hour clock will be good for me, and I never remember my CAS sims names anyway, so I have changed their christian names and am living with Maxian surnames  Smiley

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=578728eb397b07957f7f37fe42b34dce&directoryID=169&startRow=76&openItemID=item.169,root.1,item.43,item.61,item.41,item.127,item.23s
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 April 18, 09:16:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes the registry change thing worked Smiley
to be honest i dont know why i even brought it.  Its got fuckall in it.
LEARN FROM MY REPEATED MISTAKES!! ALL OF YOU!!

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 April 18, 14:44:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes the registry change thing worked Smiley
to be honest i dont know why i even brought it.  Its got fuckall in it.
LEARN FROM MY REPEATED MISTAKES!! ALL OF YOU!!
* syberspunk points and laughs. Cheesy

Hahahahahah.  Silly fool.  Just who do you think you're talking to?  Sims 2 crack addled wh0r3z who have to purchase everything Maxis EA under the sun.  Let's face it, the lot of us are Maxis EA's bitches and there's not much we can do about it, except bend over and enjoy it. Tongue

Incidentally... Celebrations Stuff is on sale at Circuit City for $9.99.  I swear I am not being paid to viral market this crap, but I just figure, if anyone is gonna bother to buy it, for those of you who feel compelled to (or at least too guilty to acquire it Tongue) you might as well buy it for cheap. Roll Eyes

Even the EPs have gone for pretty cheap and I'm pretty sure I waited for Seasons to go for $17.99 or something like that.  I've just learned that it doesn't really pay to be an early adopter, and worst case scenario, I could always install it before actually buying it. Tongue

Ste

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 April 18, 14:49:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I noticed another weird thing since installing Celebrations -- the cafeteria worker is missing from every dorm I've gone into since installing it. Forcing an error on the stove doesn't summon him/her.  I have to buy a new stove to get the cafeteria worker to show up again.

Don't know if it's a weird hack conflict or what, but it's just a minor annoyance, since I currently don't have many YAs at the moment. 

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 April 18, 15:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I installed Celebrations two nights ago.  I played a dorm that night, and I was testing something last night, and my caf worker seemed fine there, at least for that dorm... *shrugs*

I haven't even bothered to check if the Celebrations objects are actually in the Buy Catalog.  Heh, I guess I should go do that.  How silly of me to just assume that, by installing the SP, they should and would continue to be in there. Roll Eyes

Ste

Weaver
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 April 18, 16:13:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not that bad of a pack. The objects have more persistent use in comparison to say, Family Fun Stuff, with the surreal fantasy furniture being difficult to implement for prolonged periods in any building. The additional cakes, buffet tables, wedding arch are a nice touch and should keep the game aesthetically pleasing. I'm not sure on available custom content relating to parties, though the Maxis items are well-rounded in variations and don't appear to abstract against any other game content. If you are a completist, you will enjoy it. If you are not, you will not be missing much without this pack. I'd recommend it over FFS or the Happy/Festive Holidays releases. On game problems, nothing out of the ordinary with the Seasons expansion - catalog items work as (probably) intended.

Along with the Glamour Life Stuff; these two packs are the only two stuffit packs I'd consider installing for the long-term.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 April 18, 17:28:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if anyone is gonna bother to buy it, for those of you who feel compelled to (or at least too guilty to acquire it Tongue) you might as well buy it for cheap. Roll Eyes
The CrapPacks are the only legit software I feel perfectly comfortable acquiring. However, I've not seen anything shiny enough in them to justify it, and this CrapPack is the least impressive yet. To me, anyways.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 April 18, 20:57:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still think Glamour has been the best one so far.. There are like 37 objects in Celebrations (which really isn't much) and the rest is wallpaper and carpet.  I haven't had a look at the dresses yet but theres only 3 new hairstyles.  I dont even know why EA would even embarrass themselves with that veil, havent they seen Pronupsims?

Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 April 18, 21:05:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* syberspunk points and laughs. Cheesy

Hahahahahah.  Silly fool.  Just who do you think you're talking to?  Sims 2 crack addled wh0r3z who have to purchase everything Maxis EA under the sun.  Let's face it, the lot of us are Maxis EA's bitches and there's not much we can do about it, except bend over and enjoy it. Tongue

This is so true... I know its going to be crap.. but i just can't help it  Cheesy

Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 April 19, 05:55:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dont even know why EA would even embarrass themselves with that veil, havent they seen Pronupsims?

Honestly, I'm not that impressed with Pronupsims. Their hair really isn't that good, and I didn't like the way their veils looked in my game. Some of their clothes are okay and their stuff doesn't SUCK, but I much prefer the veil from Celebration stuff. I thought it looked rather pretty in game.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2007 April 23, 19:57:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with Orikes about Pronup Sims. Their stuff doesn't look very good in-game, though I do like their champaign bottles and wedding cakes, and some of their makeup is decent. I'm still not sure if I'll bother with the Celebrations SP. If I can find it at a low enough price, I might consider it, if only for the buffets.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 April 24, 04:05:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's something interesting.

I got Celebrations as a gift this weekend. This was purchased at a California Circuit City, so should be the US version, right?

Well, it installed in English, the clock did not change to the 24hour clock, and the registry is showing US as the location.

So... why are half the townie, NPC, and college dormie names in my game changed to Maxis crap? I thought this was an isolated problem having to do with locale and/or the version released in Australia and/or installing a UK version on top of an otherwise US game.

Fail.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 April 24, 05:51:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sarah, did it maybe screw up the registries of any other games you might have acquired? I had my game go kaplooie (computer crashed hard while I had the game up, and  the game then crashed every time I tried to load it) so instead of just uninstalling Seasons, I uninstalled it, Pets, and Celebrations so that I could install in the seemingly "right" order and patch things correctly. I installed Celebrations first, but even though Pets and Seasons were installed after it, with the correct (US) language set, and the fact that I was allegedly using the exe from Seasons, my clock and names were screwed up.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 April 24, 06:01:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I checked all the locations, and they're all US.

In any case, there weren't that many truly screwed up names, so I fixed everything fairly quickly. And in some cases it didn't really matter. For example, the mailman that one of my sims is having an affair with used to be Alan and became Jack. I don't particularly care what his name is, so I didn't bother changing it back. None of my playable sims were affected, except for some dormies that I had created in YCAS and put into a dorm but never actually played.

Fail.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2007 April 24, 09:47:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm actually taking the EAxis textures from celebrations and sticking them on other maxis meshes. Looks way better, IMHO.

-Skadi

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: