More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 09:15:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  "Instant Meal" bug?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: "Instant Meal" bug?  (Read 34477 times)
schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
"Instant Meal" bug?
« on: 2005 August 13, 13:31:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone had this little joy of a bug happen to them besides me?

Lately when I play my favorite hood, I sometimes get this glitch where I click on the fridge and the only option I get for food is the instant meal. Even though my sims have high or maxed cooking skill, a stove, are home (I know you get only the Instant Meal option when they are at work, if you try to queue it up for them before they get home), etc etc.

I've tried deleting the fridge/stove & buying a new one, deleting the sim, forcing an error on the stove, fridge, sim, everything. I don't have any custom foods, or any food-specific hacks I can think of.

Luckily this doesn't stay broken, it seems to cut in and out - and it doesn't affect all sims in the household at once, it hits different sims at different times, fixes itself at random. I find if I tell them to go get the instant meal, let them head for the fridge, then cancel it, sometimes tthat brings back all the food options.  Happens on many lots, including ones I've been playing for months with no problem.

Is this one of those "your neighbourhood is getting too big and this is an impending sign of implosion" bug? Any ideas on fixing it?

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior!
gillies
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: "Instant Meal" bug?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 13, 13:34:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are the sims inside rooms with doors placed on diagonal walls when this happens? I get this in some houses but once they're outside the room they have all the options again.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 13, 13:36:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Was just about to say the same thing!  It's usually caused by diagonal doors, although only since Uni was installed.  If you get them to "check supplies" first, they should then be able to use the fridge as normal.  Those diagonal doors are a pain since Uni - several of the Maxis-made houses have them and even they don't work.  I had to change all the ones in the Pleasant house when Dirk almost died using the computer in one of the bedrooms. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 13, 13:39:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, nope I don't think so - I don't recall any diagonal doors - some of these houses I've been playing regularly since at least last November with no problem. Thanks for the info though, I'll be sure to avoid that just in case!

Baddmark
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 13, 14:22:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this happen in the Pleasant household. Everyone had all the usual meal options except Angela. If she was in the kitchen all the meals appeared in the "pie" menu (ho ho). Anywhere else on the lot and she could only remember how to "make" instant meals. The problem only appeared after the twins became adults, and it seemed to fix itself - I didn't test anything by changing the fridge or whatever but the next time I played the household she had no problems with meals.

Academic now, since she's shacked up with Alexander Goth - I wonder which nose the kids will inherit? 
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 13, 14:31:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've discovered that only the sims on the lot can access the full fridge menu.  If they are off lot (work/classes/school) then they can only access the instant meal.

happy now :-)
schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 13, 14:53:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I had mentioned that in my first post, that all sims were indeed on the lot.  Smiley So that's not it.

I went in and checked some of my houses where I have this bug happening - no doors on diagonal  in two of them. One house did. Could the diagonal door in one house create a hood-wide bug? The diagonal-door house was a new addition to the hood, right about the time this bug started showing up.

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 13, 15:05:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It happened to me once. The sim never got any of the other options back. I don't use the diagonal doors at all. I changed refrigerators -style, color, price etc.- and nothing worked. I finally gave up and moved it out and into another lot. Everything worked as a charm there. I bulldozed the lot - I never really liked it anyway :D -

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 13, 17:01:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have this happen in Don's condo (which has a diagonal door).  It usually clears up after a minute, but it's annoying nonetheless.  I have not tried replacing the door, but maybe I should, assuming that this will "key" the lot to Uni specifications. 

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 13, 18:29:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The instant meal thing baffles me. I'm not even sure WHY they suddenly get the idea that the sim can't make anything else.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 13, 18:50:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well if you're baffled, then I'm screwed on this one! Grin

Idiotic Sims.  Undecided*need head-smacking-on-wall emote*

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 13, 18:51:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The instant meal thing baffles me. I'm not even sure WHY they suddenly get the idea that the sim can't make anything else.

It does seem like the game suddenly is unable to read the sim's cooking skill and just asssumes that it is at a very low level, doesn't it. Especially since, in some cases, it apparently rights itself, even if only temporarily.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
humybyrd
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 13, 19:22:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well your not the only one who has this problem.  I get it once in a while.  I thought it was strange that a level 5 cook would only get the instant meal option for dinner.  It has happened to me on several different lots in 3 different neighborhoods.  The most recent one was last night in Strangeville.  Previously it was Pleasantville.  The first time was in my custom neighborhood, so that ruled out it being the maxis ones.  I also changed out the fridges, and none of these lots have diagnal doors on them though I have not gone through all the houses and checked for them (I do know that Pleasantville has a few).  It seems that it affects the whole lot and not just certian sims or fridges.  I had an apartment with 4 units and all residents could only get the instant meal no matter which fridge I tried.  This lasted for about 3 sim days then cleared itself up.  Last night I was playing Strangeville and had it happen.  I quit the lot and got out of the game shortly after so I am not sure if the problem will still be there.  Lets hear it for maxis bugs, they always make the game so much more interesting.

I reject your reality and substitute it with one of my own.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 13, 19:42:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ive found that if you move the sim next to the fridge, and then try the options again, the whole range of food is usually back. Diagonal doors are invented by the devil, as a means to prevent you from cooking and the maid from cleaning, so you will die dirty and hungry.

Basically my sims have trouble with the menues if they are doing something where they are not in the same room as the fridge, or are sitting down. Like, studying mechanical from a book, sitting on a sofa.
Btw, humybyrd you said it affects all sims on your lots. I only have one, once in a while that can't cook, it is not affecting the whole family... yet.... Shocked

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 13, 19:52:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think that it reads low cooking skill when they're behind diagonal doors, it just reads them as being off the lot.  Even a sim with no cooking skill can make lunchmeat sandwiches and cereal!  And that option doesn't appear either! 

I really think Maxis ought to have brought out a patch for this, since it was uni that caused it!  (Plus 1001 Arabian Nights of other stuff!)

Zephyr Zodiac
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 13, 19:56:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How much room is there in your kitchen? Can you give us the dimensions (like 3x4 or so). Where is the fridge situated? How much empty space is in front of the fridge?

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 13, 20:03:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've also noticed that on the odd occasions when guests go into a bathroom through diagonal doors, they then can't leave it unless you get a sim to call them over!  Must depend on which way round the doors are.......

I've just d/l'd Windkeeper's single sliding doors (which includes a diagonal, and next time I exit I'll install them and see if they are any better.

Zephyr Zodiac
Baddmark
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 13, 22:38:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How much room is there in your kitchen? Can you give us the dimensions (like 3x4 or so). Where is the fridge situated? How much empty space is in front of the fridge?

In my case it was the standard Pleasant house - and Angela's "problem" occured even when she was the only one awake and no one else had any actions in their queue which might have caused the doorway to be already in use, if you get my drift.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 13, 23:03:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, due to a major septic tank backup last fall, we had to refloor our entire house and redo the kitchen entirely. Because of the diagonal entryway we added that seemed so appealing at the time, I have been able to consume nothing but SlimFast since. I now weigh 2 pounds.
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 13, 23:34:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a couple of lots where the sims are only able to serve dessert. Sometimes. Then the other options come back. I have yet to notice any common factors to the problem.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 13, 23:39:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you using standard Maxis fridges?  Even some recolours can act peculiarly at times, I've found, so it might be worth using the basic model.

Zephyr Zodiac
fff
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 14, 01:33:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No answers here (surprise!) but just wanted to chip in and add that I've had the same problem, too - for me it happened in the Pleasant house, with no diagonal doors and no fridges other than Maxis one......  Huh

It does seem to right itself fairly quickly, though....
schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 14, 02:12:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone anyway - misery loves company doncha know.  Grin

Thanks for all the info everyone - if you add more & I don't reply, I'm not ignoring you, I'm leaving town & won't be back til Aug. 22. Going camping - I hope a bear doesn't rip my lips off.  Tongue Maybe by the time I get back there will a patch to fix this and ALL BUGS!!!! EVEN MOSQUITOES!!!!111!!!!! Hahahhahaha. Ha. Oh, it is to laugh. Oy, my sides.

Baddmark
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 14, 12:06:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone anyway - misery loves company doncha know.  Grin

Thanks for all the info everyone - if you add more & I don't reply, I'm not ignoring you, I'm leaving town & won't be back til Aug. 22. Going camping - I hope a bear doesn't rip my lips off.  Tongue Maybe by the time I get back there will a patch to fix this and ALL BUGS!!!! EVEN MOSQUITOES!!!!111!!!!! Hahahhahaha. Ha. Oh, it is to laugh. Oy, my sides.

Make sure your tent door is on the diagonal, and the bear will just stand outside waving his paws and shouting "Erm, Woohoo!" On the downside, you will only be able to cook cereal on your stove (with a 10% chance of failure).
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 14, 15:00:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

(We need some more emoticons!)

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: