More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 21:38:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  ALERT!!! Sims DNA Being Reset to CAS Default!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: ALERT!!! Sims DNA Being Reset to CAS Default!  (Read 28993 times)
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
ALERT!!! Sims DNA Being Reset to CAS Default!
« on: 2005 October 19, 00:53:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How can I put this without losing my rag?  I don't know if it's NL or the patch that is doing this, or whether it's a third-party item, but EVERY SIM I HAVE PLAYED SINCE INSTALLING NL HAS HAD THEIR DNA RESET.

ALL played Sims are now like CAS default Sims.  Whatever hair colour they have, that's also their recessive colour, ditto their eyes and skin.  They have no DNA whatsoever from the other parent.  This means that all my aliens are pure alien, even though they have human parents.  Unplayed Sims are fine, but as soon as they're played this is happening to them.  Elders no longer show their original hair colour, instead they have two grey-hair genes.  Does this mean that if an elder male fathered a child and that child expressed the father's hair gene, it would be grey-haired from birth?

How long is it going to take to look-up the other parent's DNA and copy it back?  How will I know which gene the other parent passed on? 

I have a baby due to be born in my game and I am going to see whether it carries DNA from both parents or one.  In the meantime, I would like EVERYBODY who knows how to check the DNA of their in-game created Sims that have been played, either in SimPE or in game (using the SimDNA Simname command in the cheat window).  I need to know if this is due to the game itself, the new version of SimPE I am using, a download ... until I know if anyone else is experiencing it, I can't even begin to work that out.

I will refrain from commenting further (and breaking my asterisk key by doing so) until I know for sure that the game itself is causing this. 

Extra Bit: Having just checked quite a few Sims in SimPE, I can now confirm that the DNA has been changed since installing the patch.  Those Sims played after installing NL but before installing the patch who haven't been played since installing the patch are still showing their correct DNA.
« Last Edit: 2005 October 19, 01:30:28 by Ancient Sim » Logged

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
Re: ALERT!!! Sims DNA Being Reset to CAS Default!
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 19, 04:34:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I'm panicking. I can't figure out how to use the SimDNA cheat. I keep getting "unknown command". Is that all I should be typing? I'm trying to check on a little girl that was born this evening. Her name's Perry. So I type 'SimDNA Perry'? Or am I not doing it correctly? Obviously, I'm not doing it correctly, since I keep getting "unknown command".

edit to add:
okay, my game is already running and I just read that I have to have the testing cheats enabled in the user startup file. Bleah.
« Last Edit: 2005 October 19, 04:40:14 by Brynne » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 19, 04:57:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The new version of TS2 Enhancer actually has a nice interface showing the carried DNA of any given sim from both parents. Too bad it's a pay program. :p But you can at least download the trial and use it for 2 days before the trial runs out if you've never done so before.  Undecided

I'll have to check some of mine and see if this happened to them. TS2 Enhancer does actually let you change the carried DNA pretty easily too so I can do that if I need to because I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I caved a long time ago before SimPE had very many features and paid the damned $20 and bought the thing. :p
« Last Edit: 2005 October 19, 12:36:28 by Motoki » Logged

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 19, 06:09:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Welp, somebody confirm that for me, so I can have a compelling reason not to install it when I get it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 19, 06:49:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I'm able to tell, my Sims' DNA are okay. I only have 5 playable Sims in my neighborhood so I don't have a lot to go off of but everyone's DNA is showing up mixed like it should. My main adult Sim has red hair(Father)/black hair(Mother), dark blue eyes(F)/dark blue eyes(M), and light skin(F)/light skin(M) genes, her adult sister has red hair(F)/black hair(M), dark blue eyes(M)/green eyes(F) genes, and her 3 children have black hair(M)/blond hair(F), dark blue eyes(F)/dark blue eyes(M), and light skin(F)/light skin(M) genes. This neighborhood was created right after I installed Nightlife and the fourth generation was in their teens when I applied the patch. I am disappointed that the first generation's dark skin didn't get passed down at all and only one Sim still carries the genes for green eyes, but since the hair and eye color genes aren't homogenous I'm assuming their DNA hasn't been reverted back to the CAS default.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 19, 08:43:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ack.

Oh man I hope this isn't true.  I will try to check if I can figure it out.

I have only had 3 kids born in my game since installing the patch...and oddly they have all been almost clones of their father so far..I'm a bit worried...
Xiomberg
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 19, 09:46:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was messing with the SimDNA Simname command the other day and noticed that the DNA was the same, ie whatever skin, hair etc they have is also their regresive DNA.

Didnt think much of what I saw until a read this post.

Will check again tonight as I have Sims I have not played since the NL patch to compare to ones after.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 19, 09:48:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just downloaded SimEnhancer trial.

(I won't buy it 'cos I bought the sims1Enhancer. Every time I re-installed my computer, I had to apply for a new unlock code. I could only apply 3 times a year. Bugger that, I re-install often, I purchase s/w, I don't rent it. /rant)

Anyway, I tested a sim born since the patch, different DNA for each parent - although simenhancer shows it the wrong way round as it was originally the father who had snake skin and eyes.

Edit: Text deleted, reason - idiotic test.  Embarrassed

I found a born-in-game sim, that I have not played since the patch and took a pic of her DNA. I booted the game, loaded the lot. The family were all standing at their bedsides with green bars as they do after a patch or install reset. I made her change appearance then I saved and exited. Her DNA hadn't changed when I looked in simenhancer after leaving the game.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 2005 October 19, 10:27:00 by witch » Logged

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 19, 11:51:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

^^I downloaded a trial of that program as well to try it out...

(off topic but tis a nice program it seems..and simple to figure out..however don't know how I feel about forking over $20 for it at the moment)

Anyways...

It is not detecting any changes.  Both the mother and father's DNA are showing up correctly *whew*

It just looks like all the babies born in my game after the patch resemble their fathers so much b/c the dads have been having the dominant DNA in all the cases so far.
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 19, 13:51:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this problem with some of my sims before the patch and before nightlife. Some of my sims, when turning elders had their DNA change to match what they look like (both dark blue eye instead of dark blue and green (recessive) and custom color hair instead of brown for exemple ( sim born with brown hair that changes to custom with the mirror).
But nothing happens since nightlife and the patch. The ones with this problem don't change and the ones without problem are ok.
I hope some understand what I wrote...
Pioupiou
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 19, 14:39:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm rather obsessive with checking my Sims' DNA.  I've had 5 babies born since the patch, and they carry DNA from both parents.  I've checked Sims of all age groups who have been played since the patch, and also unplayed ones, and their DNA is as I remember it and carries traits from both parents (if they had parents, i.e., if they were not CAS-created or former NPCs).

Phyllis

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 19, 15:14:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I looked at mine, looks like they are all fine.
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 19, 19:56:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

after I installed the patch, the second time without any downloads and I added my downloads then I went into the game and two of my woman had the default maxi black hair and when I tried to change it to any of the custom hair using the mirror,  it would not stick.

so, I went into cass and the custom hair is showing up fine and I can make a sim with custom hair.

but just those two have that ugly black default hair.   Oh yeah and I can change it to another maxi hair style or color but not a custom one.    very strange.  Roll Eyes
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 20, 01:39:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After much work involving several back-ups and another neighbourhood, I've discovered the cause of this problem (it's also the cause of several Sims constantly erroring and not being playable).  It occurs whenever I delete a character with the new tool in the beta version of SimPE.  Just one character deleted is all it takes.  If anyone else has tried using this tool (I know Brynne was intending to), has it happened to you?  If not, it could be a mod conflict in my game or something.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 20, 11:35:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't tried it yet no, I'm a little too afraid too truth be told. I know we can do backups but backups only help if the problem is immediately noticeable and it looks like your problem wasn't. Sad

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 20, 11:40:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After much work involving several back-ups and another neighbourhood, I've discovered the cause of this problem (it's also the cause of several Sims constantly erroring and not being playable).  It occurs whenever I delete a character with the new tool in the beta version of SimPE.  Just one character deleted is all it takes.  If anyone else has tried using this tool (I know Brynne was intending to), has it happened to you?  If not, it could be a mod conflict in my game or something.

No, I haven't tried it yet either. And now I'm afraid to, as well! I would be interested to know if simpe is why your sims are resetting, though. That's kind of a major bug. Tongue
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2005 November 10, 06:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So... does anyone know if the latest version of SimPe (released October 21st) has this problem?

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 November 10, 08:49:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been using the new version maybe 3-4 weeks and have noticed no oddities to date. Smiley Version 0.50 Alpha

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2005 November 10, 12:17:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Turned out it was being caused by the Sim Deleter tool in the beta version, which isn't released to the general public.  The current version (50) would have included it, but because of the problem with the DNA it isn't there.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 November 10, 14:40:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been using the new version maybe 3-4 weeks and have noticed no oddities to date. Smiley Version 0.50 Alpha

I need to update to that, then. I didn't know there was a new alpha version!
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2005 November 10, 16:41:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay - thanks a lot.  Smiley

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 17, 04:47:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Welp. I'm digging this back up to announce that I have, in fact, run into this problem.

It's definitely NOT a problem introduced by Nightlife, patch or no, since I traced all the way back to my pre-Nightlife backups, and the Uni files were similarly damaged in this fashion (but there was no SimDNA cheat to prove it).

I thus got to spend the day repiecing everyone's DNA back together from scratch, equipped with a handy set of dice to reroll their associated genetics randomly. Fun.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 17, 05:06:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just checked all the DNA of sims born-in game in Pleasantview and they are all fine except one.

Dylan Bachelor is the only one that has CAS Default genes.  The rest of my kids have genes from each parent.

Micheals DNA is Tan/Blonde/Blue (I changed his hair from what it shipped with bc Micheal's DNA showed Gray Hair) and Dina's DNA is Medium/Blonde/Green.  Dylans DNA is Medium/Blonde/Green.

I even checked Brandi's third child Violet and her DNA is Expressive-Light/Black/Gray and Recessive-Light/Blonde/Green.  So if Violet got dna from both parents I dont understand why Dylan didnt.

ISFJ
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 17, 05:07:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When were they born? Pre-NL, or post-NL? Post-NL births should be fine, the bug is definitely not in NL. Pre-NL sims should probably all be garbled.

Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 17, 05:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh they were Post-NL...I just checked another family though in a different neighborhood and they were fine too but they were the only 2 kids I had pre- NL...I packaged them before I installed NL.

ps I didnt realize this was an old post: I just skimmed to read the latest reply...

I thus got to spend the day repiecing everyone's DNA back together from scratch, equipped with a handy set of dice to reroll their associated genetics randomly. Fun.

I tried to do that with Veronaville Maxis Made characters bc I figured if I could make at least one neighborhood have the right genes it would be a neighborhood I hadnt started to play yet.  I scrapped that plan soon after I started and went back to equally dysfunctional Pleasantview.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 17, 05:24:13 by StarrKist » Logged

ISFJ
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: