More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 06:40:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Getting the husband to take his wife's name
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Getting the husband to take his wife's name  (Read 18600 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Getting the husband to take his wife's name
« Reply #25 on: 2006 February 09, 13:25:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you really must......but don't let Cassandra loose on the world!  Keep her on a very short leash, make her give up her job (that's where she starts fooling around) and stay at home and clean the house!  Age Mortimer down to adult, get him abducted a few times, and she'll have plenty to keep her busy!

Zephyr Zodiac
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 February 09, 13:28:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you really must......but don't let Cassandra loose on the world!  Keep her on a very short leash, make her give up her job (that's where she starts fooling around) and stay at home and clean the house!  Age Mortimer down to adult, get him abducted a few times, and she'll have plenty to keep her busy!

In my original Pleasantview she married Don and had a bunch of kids (errr, which Don took care of) and mostly spent her time reading books in front of the fireplace. She was pretty much the only straightlaced person in the house. I'm going to try something more adventurous this time around, for sure. Mortimer alien-babies would certainly be fun!

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 February 09, 13:41:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grin

I did have her married to Don in one game, but he was one very unhappy bunny!  In the end he moved out!  I think he went to live with the Calientes!  Obviously, anything was better than Cassandra and her constant moaning!

Zephyr Zodiac
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 February 09, 14:17:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How can a fortune sim with the desire to found a dynasty do so if the family is called something else?

Is this something that's going to be included in Open For Business? I've never heard of such a want before.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 February 09, 14:23:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I know there isn't one - I wanted it for him! Grin  After all, most tycoons do found dynasties (apart from Howard Hughes, that is!)

Zephyr Zodiac
katemonster
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 February 09, 14:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As to all the business about the household names--having six households called "Goth Family" that don't have any Goths in them or what have you--it's easy to change that in SimPE. What I do is rename each household with the real family name and also with the maiden name of the spouse ("O'Neill-Torres Family") which makes it easy to tell the households apart even if (as in my neighborhood) the O'Neills have bred like rabbits and taken over half the neighborhood. Households where an offspring is living alone just get "O'Neill II" and households with roommates get the last names of all the roommates. It's a lot easier than trying to remember who lives at 397 Church St and who lives at 214 1st Ave--plus the family name is listed on JMP's lotsync timer, and the address isn't.

If you don't know how to change the household names, each household is listed under "Family Information" in SimPE and you just change the name there.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2006 February 09, 16:25:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I remember real estate addresses better than surnames, for some reason.  Maybe I am autistic.  Ok, so why not "the x family at y address"?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 February 09, 18:52:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not that I don't know how to do it!  At the time I played this family, I didn't have SimPE, and anyway, the point I thought I was making is not whether or not we as players can change things, but that Maxis as the game creator ought to have sorted out anomalies like this.

I spend enough time in simPE altering stuff and getting rid of unwanted townies as it is!  Since they made the change in Uni, I couldn't see why it couldn't be applied universally.  And, quite honestly, I have no objection to six families being called The Goth Family if that is actually their name!  I have no problem remembering which family lives in which house, I frequently have at least four Broke Families, and I always know which family is which.

Zephyr Zodiac
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 February 09, 21:23:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish I could change the lot's address.  When I first started playing Pleasantview, I placed a house from the lot bin and forgt to change the address to go with the addresses of the other houses ont that street.  For example, the house across the street might be 1 Sim Lane, so this one should be 2 Sim Lane, not "3 Bedroom Victorian".  I never could figure out how to do that in SimPe or if it's even something that could be done.  I tried changing the name of the lot in the neighborhood browser, tried loading the lot and changing the address there (used commit and save) but it would never take.

Now, in my custom hood, I've moved some lots from one street to another so I can keep my "rotation" in a certain order (by generation), and I can't change the street address.  So 110 Forrest Street might be next to 103 Forrest Street.  Or I may have moved a house on Forrest Street to George Street but the address is still Forrest Street.

It seems like you should be able to change the name of the lot whenever you move it or move a new family into it (like your Goth dilemma, ZZ).

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2006 February 09, 21:38:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"3 Bedroom Victorian"

Very creative street name!  Haha!
Don't feel bad.  I made a neighborhood called Seabreeze and wanted to name all my streets after ocean..um stuff, realized later after naming a whole street full of houses that Shallot is the onion, not the mollusk.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 February 09, 21:48:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

realized later after naming a whole street full of houses that Shallot is the onion, not the mollusk.

LOL!  Oooops!  And I thought just forgetting to rename the lot was a pain!  Funny thing is, you're the only one who know you didn't do that intentionally (unless you rat on yourself) but it will bug you as long as you play that hood!  I know it bugs me that my very carefully placed and named lots are now a jumbled mess.  But I usually just look at the name of the family when I load the lot anyway.  Had to, or else I'd have driven myself crazy with "I can't believe I can't change this lot's address string to ..."

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 February 09, 22:05:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for Addresses, youou can change the string in SimPE if you didn't know that already.  Even if you're not a hacker, it's a useful tool to keep around.  You'll always find something that you mess up or find that you named a Sim the same as another Sim.  It's very easy to do, it's similar to changing family names.

1)Open SimPE Classic.
2)Plugins -> Neighborhood Browser.  Double-click the neighborhood you want to edit.
3)Under Filetypes, scroll down to Lot Description.  Click.
4)Under Packed Files, select the first value.  It should be something like "Lot Description (LTXT, 0xB)".  If that's not it, press the down arrow until you find it.
5)When you find it, you can edit the Lot Name(Address) Value if you want to change the address.  If it's a community lot you can also edit the House Name, but you can already edit that field in the game.  Commit Changes when you modify the values.
6)Save.

I'm not sure this will work in the other sections where sims live though.  While looking through the list, I only saw files that were in my Westfall Neighborhood, not its satellites.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 February 09, 23:14:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, that's what I did.  It wouldn't take.  Even opened the lot file itself and tried to change it there, also, but it still didn't take.  The lot address never changed on the lot window when I clicked on the lot.

Haven't tried again for awhile, so maybe the version I had at the time was bugged in that area.  Will have to try again.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 February 10, 00:26:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried moving the family out and then packaging the lot?  Works for me every time.  You just have to reinstall the house and then replace it where it was before and you should get the option to rename it.  Bonus is, you now have a permanent copy in your lot bin.

Zephyr Zodiac
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 February 10, 01:19:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never thought of that!  Probably because when I tried before, it was pre-NL and I didn't want to lose belongings, but the thought of moving the lot into the bin didn't occur to me.

I would just bulldoze the lot that's left in the hood after I put it in the bin, then put it back and rename it.  Too easy, I guess!

Doh! (bangs head against desk)

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 February 10, 08:37:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just hope it doesn't have any custom terrain paints!

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 February 10, 08:38:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Terrain paints fixed, post-patch.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 February 10, 09:15:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, Elvira needs to install the patch before packaging the house?

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 February 10, 09:15:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 February 10, 09:21:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All this after I checked every single downloaded house I have in my files for terrain paints and deleted all the ones that had them!

Zephyr Zodiac
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 February 10, 09:33:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, I accidentally installed a single terrain paint once, and reinstalled my entire game from scratch.  Didn't even use a backup.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 February 10, 09:43:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just think of the heartache Maxis would have saved if they'd put the terran paint fix in the first sims2 basegame patch!

Zephyr Zodiac
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 February 10, 21:04:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't use custom terrain paints so I should be OK, I guess!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 February 10, 23:18:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't use them NOW!  But there still in my game as I have lots which use them, and I don't want to have to relocate half my sims!  It's a lot of sims!  Especially as I don't know for certain which lots are fine and which aren't!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: