More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 11:48:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Changing Comfort and Energy settings?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Changing Comfort and Energy settings?  (Read 6385 times)
Kittylynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Changing Comfort and Energy settings?
« on: 2007 August 16, 05:27:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could anyone tell me, or point me to a tutorial that can show me, how to change the Comfort, Energy, Environment settings on a piece of furniture?  and/or change the price of the item?

I have found some really nice beds and a few chairs that I like the look of, but the settings have been enhanced on them to make them the highest level of comfort, energy and environment while at the same time making it one of the cheapest priced pieces of furniture in it's category.  I don't mind in my normal Sim houses, but if I'm playing a challenge of some sort I can't use them.  I guess I'm too honest for my own good!  Cheesy  It would be nice to be able to change the stats on those items back to where it's supposed to be for it's price level.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Changing Comfort and Energy settings?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 16, 06:39:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was a thread about this not too long ago.  The energy and comfort values are stored in the Behavious Constants (BCON) parts of a package.  The easiest way to change them is by just copying the values from a similar piece of furniture that has the desired stats.
The price is in the Object Data (OBJD); click on the raw data tab and scroll until you find the price field.  Switch to decimal to get a better grasp of what you're doing.

I do believe there is a simpler editing program around for updating basic stuff like price and catalouge description, but I haven't tried it myself.  You'll need SimPE to change the actual object functions anyway.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 16, 15:23:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To me, it's easier to just open the object in SimPE and change the values in the Object Data section. Properties like Energy are in the Motives section, and cost in in the Money(?) section.Be sure to change the value display to decimal before changing any numbers. Make your changes, Commit, Save, and you're done.

The screen capture looks like crap because Photobucket resizes images, but you can see what you need.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 16, 16:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have found some really nice beds and a few chairs that I like the look of, but the settings have been enhanced on them to make them the highest level of comfort, energy and environment while at the same time making it one of the cheapest priced pieces of furniture in it's category.
Would you be willing to share where you got them from? I seem to have the opposite problem in that everything I find and like usually has a comfort value of 5 or less.
I like having cheaty things in my game.  Cheesy
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 16, 16:44:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can start with the Grand Trianon set at MTS2. Everything seems maxed out, at bargain-basement prices.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Kittylynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 16, 16:56:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Gwill and Hegelian!

The SimPE way does look easier, but I also want to learn more about BCON and OBJD and how they work.  I'm mostly just a recolorer right now and all self taught, but I want to learn to Mesh and Hack, cause it seems fun!

The Grand Trianon Set is one of the ones I want to make more fair for personal use in my Legacy!  It's tempting to just use them but I'm really trying to play it by the strict rules.  I had gotten so lazy about playing my game and using cheats that I needed to try things the hard way for a while.  Normally and in my ordinary Sim houses there are lots of "Cheaty Things"  Wink!
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 16, 17:17:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Changing the motive ratings in the Object data does not actually change the properties of the item, it just changes what's displayed in the catalouge description box.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 August 16, 20:03:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I second Gwill: values in Object Data are only descriptive, not effective.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Kittylynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 August 17, 03:53:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh Darn!  Figures it couldn't be that easy!  It's still a SimPE operation though isn't it?  Forgive my slowness, but like I said I'm a major noob at this type of thing.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 August 17, 10:00:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a project where I updated all the crappy maxis beds a little while ago: http://www.modthesims2.com/member/showthread.php?t=244279
I extracted the Energy, Comfort and Environment BCONs from the "Maturely Medieval Single Bed" and "Colonial Ironwood Bed" and just the values in the cloned beds with those from the good beds.  I have done the same on all beds I've downloaded.  Other furniture doesn't bother me as much.
I'll upload just the BCONs as a template.

* SingleBedBCON.package (0.47 KB - downloaded 149 times.)
* DoubleBedBCON.package (0.38 KB - downloaded 141 times.)

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Kittylynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 August 17, 14:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those help so much!  Thanks! 

I was in the right area after all, I just didn't realize what I was looking at!
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 August 17, 16:47:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The actual values doesn't make much sense when looking at them.  That's why I just copy them from somewhere I know works.
I tried modifying motives for a bathtub manually once, and it does sort of work, but I could never get it to do exactly what I wanted.  I need to study this closer too.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 August 18, 18:55:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I second Gwill: values in Object Data are only descriptive, not effective.

WAH!    Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Last night I spent several hours "fixing" a large number of custom beds, chairs, and sofas.    Angry Angry Angry

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 August 18, 21:09:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you'll want the catalog values to be changed too, so you've done half the work already. Wink

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 August 19, 00:36:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grin

Perhaps this is not the most efficient way to do this (shhh - don't tell Reggikko!), but this afternoon I cloned all the Maxis beds with the Object Workshop, then extracted all the BCONs for each bed (how convenient that when you extract them as a group, Object Workshop places them in their own folder, which can be renamed to indicate the bed—I named mine according to size and cost). I then opened each custom object I wanted to modify and replaced the BCONs one by one. I don't know if you can replace them all at once the way you can extract them, but I didn't want to take the risk. This should work, right??

It would probably be faster to edit the values directly, but I am not confident I know the values to insert to get the result I want. However, importing the BCONs from the Maxis objects limits the variety I can have in the custom objects, for which in some cases I would like to have values slightly different from the Maxis values for that particular price level. I did try getting individual replacement BCONs from Maxis beds in a different price category, but it seems that at best this would affect the environment score (assuming this is related to Room Impact) since energy and comfort are both in the Sleep BCON. Then there is the separate Environment BCON that some beds have, for which I could not find any explanation. I tried adding this to a couple of the custom beds, but was wary of the -10 decimal value (I don't want to have a lower score!) so I ended up deleting that entry. 

Thanks to the automatic backup feature in SimPE, it was easy to locate all the files that needed to be changed by searching my Downloads folder for *.bak files, copying them to a central location, and giving them back their .package extension en masse from the command line.   Tongue

UPDATE:

I finished updating all the chairs and sofas I wanted to change. In the process I noticed a spelling error in the Tuning - Lounge BCON for the Studio Bakonmi Deluxe Loveseat (Sofa - Modern - Loft):  Lounge is spelled Lounte. I don't know how the game references these BCONs internally, but if it does so using the text string that appears in SimPE, I imagine this error could cause a problem. However, I'm guessing that the game references BCON values in some other manner.   Undecided
« Last Edit: 2007 August 19, 22:57:41 by Hegelian » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 August 20, 05:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BCONs are referenced by number. The name is purely cosmetic and has no perceived effect. BHAVs are also USUALLY referenced by number, but can occasionally be run by name.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: