More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 17, 14:55:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Default Replacement Skins
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Default Replacement Skins  (Read 76296 times)
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
Re: Default Replacement Skins
« Reply #75 on: 2006 February 01, 21:08:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Myskaal, it depends - do you want to change the skintone of a sim that has a custom skintone or a default skintone? If they have a default skintone and you make default replacements, their skins will automatically change when you load up their lot. If the sim has a custom skintone, then it looks like you'll have to fiddle with DNA and sim surgery, afaik.  Undecided

myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 February 01, 21:16:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to edit a default replacement skintone.

Like SleepyCat was talking about. I like the default replacements I currently have but there are a couple of minor changes I want to make to them - like the eyes in the head.

Tell me if this is right:
Load the skintone.package. Resource Tree - Texture Image
Select the particular piece I want to change (ex. puface-s4_txtr). Export. Change what I want about it in my editing program, save. Then back in SimPE choose Replace?
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 February 01, 21:19:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh dear. *L* I have no idea! I suppose in theory it should work... Are they default replacements like SimPE makes? I don't know if it will want to pull the texture from the original package or the second package it makes. Er, if that makes sense, I was writing for five hours and my brain's gone a bit loopy.

myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 February 01, 21:26:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy
I don't know if they're default replacements like simPE makes. If you mean default replacements that replace the Maxis defaults then Yep! That's the kind.  Roll Eyes

Remove the whole default part out of it and lets think simply skintone. I have a skintone by Louis at Sim Scribbling but I wasnt to alter the facial part of it with SimPE. (I know I can simply clone it and change what I want through BodyShop, but that gives me a whole new skin file rather than changing the exisitng one). I'm wondering if I can do it the way I posted above.

I suppose I could just do it and see if anything blows up, eh? Gods love a backup.

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 February 01, 21:34:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Haha, well, when one makes default replacements through SimPE's default replacement maker it makes a package, but the original skin tone has to be kept too, so you have two packages. They both have images in them, and I don't know if editing the faces of just one of the packages would work.

If you just have a single package though, doing it the way you outlined should work fine - I've done that with eyes and clothing skins before. Remember that there are a lot of different faces for different ages!

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 February 01, 21:35:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes Myskal that is basically it.

Open the package you want to edit find the texture images you want to fiddle with, export them, fiddle with them, save them and then reimport them. I use the build method because I have bad results from just right clicking and replacing. But yeah, you have the general idea of it.

And yes it would be a good idea to make a copy and put it some place safe while you fiddle. (you know, just in case, although I have my SimPe set to automatically make a backup copy)

Simpe has great tutorial sections without all the stupid crap
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 February 01, 21:37:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SleepyCat: I got the same face texture problem when trying your file and i think i know why.  Your color seems to expand outside the small eye box, i'm not certain but it seems to be acting as a modification to the face.  Looks like you can add face tattoos in within the eye file.  Remove all the color that goes outside the eye box and it should work.

I used that file to make myself a default alien eye replace and it worked perfectly except that the teens get the default green eyes for some odd reason.  When i tried using mutiple texture files in it bodyshop stopped responding everytime.  I'm not sure what's causing it as i even tried copying only the instance values to another file to try it.  The same teen eye bug result occured so unless there's a problem with the instance i'm not sure what's causing it.  Do you know of any alien default replacements that don't have the teen eye problem?  BTW thanks for the file now my aliens have a nicer eye look even if the teen one is screwed up.

ahhh... I got the alien eye info from a non-default alien eye package that Allan Akbar did, I trimed it down for using on my skintone "face" image files to replace the eye on them and managed to fix the teens alien eyes that way. You could try exporting all the "face" image files from your default alien skintone and edit them like I did to try and fix yours or if you like my dark default alien skintone shown on (teenage) Patty Curious (in the pic in my other post) I could send you it to you.

I want to edit a default replacement skintone.

Like SleepyCat was talking about. I like the default replacements I currently have but there are a couple of minor changes I want to make to them - like the eyes in the head.

Tell me if this is right:
Load the skintone.package. Resource Tree - Texture Image
Select the particular piece I want to change (ex. puface-s4_txtr). Export. Change what I want about it in my editing program, save. Then back in SimPE choose Replace?

you can use simpe to export any of the image files ( or whatever they are called *laughs* ) in existing skintone (or eye) packages and edit them to your hearts desire and then import them back in (I suggest the build ddx thingymybob instead of import)

I've done that to the default override package I have for the babys diaper (gives the babys a nice sleeper outfit instead of the diaper)
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 February 01, 21:43:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Sleepycat but i think i'll pass at least for now i don't feel like going through all that work.  I'll just see if i can find a normal default alien eye replacer, then i can edit it with the eyes i want.  I'm sure that would fix the problem with the teens.

Edit: Hmm found and tried a alien eye default replacement oddly it had the teen eye error.  Maybe its a error in simpe or the actual game?
« Last Edit: 2006 February 01, 21:56:20 by LFox » Logged
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 February 01, 21:44:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right! I've got it then. Thanks for all your help and support. Wink

Sleepycat, thanks also for the alien eyes. I'm using them to fix mine up and so far all is going well. Will test it out in game after working through all the faces.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 February 01, 22:35:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LFox, I tried getting alien defaults to work to (to fix the teen problem) but the only thing that worked was editing the eyes on the skintone  Undecided 

myskaal, your welcome Smiley let me know if it does work for you (it should since it did for me)

LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 February 01, 23:01:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LFox, I tried getting alien defaults to work to (to fix the teen problem) but the only thing that worked was editing the eyes on the skintone  Undecided 

myskaal, your welcome Smiley let me know if it does work for you (it should since it did for me)

Yeah it must be a problem with either simpe or the game then.  No biggie teen stage doesn't last very long especially when your like me sending em off to uni shortly after they age to a teen.
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 February 01, 23:02:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It worked. I used the build DXT as suggested. Came out much better that way. Smiley And now that I know how to do that I feel I'm about to go on a photoshopping spree.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 February 02, 18:08:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've done that to the default override package I have for the babys diaper (gives the babys a nice sleeper outfit instead of the diaper)

Oh I so want to do that.  I hate that diaper.  Who dresses their baby in only a diaper unless it's really hot.  If she was dressed, maybe I wouldn't feel so weird about leaving her on the floor.  Although I just downloaded a nice play pen, that was cloned from a crib, so now I can use that.

I've had something weird happen when I replaced the default zombie skin.  I noticed my one of my sim kid had some green around his hair line.  So I clicked on change appearance to see if I could fix that.  To my surprise all the hair styles were sporting the new zombie skin.  So I shut down the game and deleted the default zombie skin and everything went back to norma.  Weird huh?
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 February 02, 19:52:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

myskaal, thats great! I hope your enjoying your photoshopping spree  Grin

angelyne, thats strange!  Shocked  I haven't tried to change the zombie skin, I don't plan to have any of them *laughs*

I decided to try out Enayla's skintones as defaults, used the simpe shortcut for now  Wink

so far I did

S1 = Porcelain Doll
S2 = Sweet Fall
S3 = Rich Gold
S4 = Deep Earth

Alien = Dusk

I may change them around abit, depends how the Porcelain Doll skintone looks in-game  Undecided  Enayla's skintones are so vibrant(sp?) that all others kind of look blah *laughs* but I need to see them in-game (which I plan to do in alittle while) and if I like them then I'll make standalone defaults out of them.
Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 February 02, 20:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

angelyne,

I think the default override of the baby diaper Sleepycat is talking about is the one I did, if there's any requests for the sleep-suit or anyone wants a particular texture, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 February 02, 20:29:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

angelyne,

I think the default override of the baby diaper Sleepycat is talking about is the one I did, if there's any requests for the sleep-suit or anyone wants a particular texture, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

yup thats the one *still loves it* 

every so often I fiddle with it for different colors but I'm never satisfied with them so I go back to using the red abc one you did *laughs*
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: 2006 February 02, 20:35:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

angelyne,

I'd love a sleeper override for the diaper. It's so silly they didn't put one in. My (real) 4 week old baby not only wears a sleeper, I wrap her up tight in a flannel blanket too. Just a diaper would be way to cold.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 February 02, 21:04:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jorenne, put me on the interested list.  Funny how these things happen.  Last night I was just grumbling to myself about that darn diaper and wishing there was a way to change it.  And next thing I know, voila! Smiley

Sleepycat, I played with making Enyala's skin default as well.  However I find either her porcelain or alabaster skin too cool in tone to really replace the pale skin tone.  I think a pale skin should be very like that girl in Charmed, the girl with the really really pale skin. 

And the golden tone doesn't fit either as a universal skin.  It's too hmm golden. No one really looks like that.  It's a perfect look for a fairie king or queen, but not a normal person.  However I love sweet fall, it's just perfect. Love those freckles as well.

However, it seems to me that her skins are too "finished".  Default skins should be a little bland, a little more generic, so that you can customize them with makeup.  Her skins do not need makeup, they are complete in themselves, very much like she does her painting.  It makes for wonderful painting and sims, but isn't really practical as replacement skins.  I'm afraid that if I used them, all my sims would end up looking like the same, only with different hair.

Am I making any sense?

Beside I am curiously attached to Helaena's 800 series faces.  I just love them.
jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 February 02, 23:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jorenne,

Where can I find your diaper override? I would love that.   Grin  As far as textures, maybe a neutral color, white or tan that might work in period hoods too. Maybe even a onesie.

Sleepycat,

The skintone I used for the pale was "pale-blush" from her first pale collection. I like the color, it's very nice. I love the "sweet fall", but don't always want the freckles, they look strange on some faces. I used it for normal anyway. I used "Deep Gold" for medium and "Deep Earth" for dark. The "Dusk" tone is beautiful, but too dark for a default I think. "Jade" is my alien replacement. Haven't tried to replace zombie or vampire as I just don't do anything with them in the game.

Hopefully she'll make some a bit more suitable for defaults, but even with their minor flaws, they are so much better than anything else I've tried.
Athena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 February 02, 23:37:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure if it's that I have GunMod's lighting mod or what, but Enayla's normal skins look awful in my game.  I tried "alabaster" for pale, and everyone looks dead.  Their faces are too shiny, and it's creepy.  "Pale blush" was better in that they didn't look dead, but still a little off.  Dusk, by contrast, is much too dark for the darkest skin.  However, Enayla's alien and zombie skins look excellent in-game, so I'm using those.  For my normal defaults, I went with Simcribbling, which all look great in-game.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 03, 01:10:27 by Athena » Logged
Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 February 03, 00:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you can download what 've already done from www.sim2living.com (it's a paysite so be fore-warned)  Or I did send them to Maggie from romance sims, but I don't know if she has them up on her site right now.  The issue I have is I have absolutely no hosting available to me right now, so anyone who wants the default onesies I've already done, PM me and I'll mail you something (maybe if I remember, a bottle of wine to myself an a few marital probelms are blurring my sense of reality right now)
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2006 February 03, 05:02:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I checked Enayla's out in-game and decided to make standalone defaults out of them the way I listed above, figure I'll use them for awhile and see how I feel about them after I get a chance to really play for awhile  Roll Eyes

Porcelain Doll is a tad bit too pale, looks abit goulish *laughs* but I really need a "different look" for atleast alittle while, I may end up fiddling with it  Roll Eyes  I did discover that quite abit of my custom makeup still looks good on these skintones  Cheesy

I deleted her earlier skintones after checking them out in Bodyshop, the uhmmmm...nipples were just sooooooooo misplaced  Shocked  It's bad enough they are all nueters(sp?) misplaced nipples was just too wrong *laughs*

Dusk is perfect for my aliens....you may not have seen my black alien default skintone over at InSIM  Wink Out of all the colors I did for alien defaults, I perfered the black one but it is a tad bit too dark  Roll Eyes

I've never been interested in odd colored sims (green, purple, blue, rainbow) and Enayla' come close to being "to unnatural" but I found myself laughing at how creepy some of my sims look now  Cheesy

heh, 2 more hours and I'll have been awake for 24 hours *sigh* insomnia sucks!

I managed to get the game all confused regarding skintones tonight, after deleteing and ageing sims up and down and having one lose his face completely (I did manage to get it back for him) I decided restarting my computer would probably help so hopefully when I play tomorrow my sims will not be still trying to have a different skintone on their faces then the one on their body  Roll Eyes
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 February 03, 05:09:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No it doesn't. Insomnia is a good thing. Sleep is for wusses.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 February 03, 05:15:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*giggles*

hey JM, shouldn't I be a "Loudmouth Catfish"?   Wink
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 February 03, 11:56:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No it doesn't. Insomnia is a good thing. Sleep is for wusses.

I agree. Sleeping is a waste of time. I mean, instead of sleeping I could be reading or playing the sims or staring blankly at the wall!

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: