More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 11:04:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Custom skins and townie generation
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Custom skins and townie generation  (Read 53021 times)
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
Re: Custom skins and townie generation
« Reply #75 on: 2006 October 14, 14:58:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Link won't work, I'll assume it's tripod being a punk again. =p

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 October 14, 18:18:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess. It works for me.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 October 14, 20:20:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MadamMim did the Enayla skins, and you can find links to them on her site.

They look fine on the custom townie mutants in my game, but I haven't started breeding anyone in that hood yet, so I don't know how they will work with offspring.

Thanks for the link!  Dewshine shared a very similar scheme with me, except that neither of us really liked the idea of any random coupling producing a really vivid coloured child.  Since there are quite a lot of the exotic skins blended into that scheme, it's pretty likely that many couples will have genes that bracket one or more of them.  It's pretty cool for an Apocalypse 'hood, but I don't like to play that theme in all my 'hoods.

Eventually, we settled on geneticising all the weird skins in a range of their own (1.++) so that their proliferation could be controlled from one 'hood to another.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 October 14, 20:40:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I just messed around with them a little in CAS - I had a woman with the lightest possible skin and a man with the darkest, and then rolled them a selection of kids. It certainly looks like the full range of skins is available to offspring. There are some pretty weird permutations, but if you don't want the peculiar coloured skins like green and blue, then I guess you just don't add them to  your game.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 October 14, 21:12:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I really like the odd hues, and I think there's potential for building some interesting stories around them.  I look forward to reading yours if/when you start breeding them!  Grin

I just didn't want to deal with random (normal-hued) couples producing off-coloured children.  Tossing the peculiar shades in a genetic range of their own off the Maxis scale prevents that, while permitting their use and proper genetic propagation in 'hoods where I want them.

Unfortunately, this could result in the peculiar effect that when I breed light (normal-hued) sims with peculiar ones, their children might be almost anywhere in the Maxis range.  I'm not clever enough to figure out any other geneticising scheme where the peculiar skins could be made "recessive", if they were blended in with the normal shades.
Metalkatt
Feckless Fool

INTP. Quiet, but deadly.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 October 15, 20:17:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, this could result in the peculiar effect that when I breed light (normal-hued) sims with peculiar ones, their children might be almost anywhere in the Maxis range.  I'm not clever enough to figure out any other geneticising scheme where the peculiar skins could be made "recessive", if they were blended in with the normal shades.

What about setting a .00x range?  Hypothetically, it should make them hyper-recessive, not giantly so.

"The voices are talking to me again..."
"You're in class, stupid."

Yes, you're in my noun, verbing my noun.  Now, go away, and let me be!
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 October 16, 15:11:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Generally, when I geneticized my "strange" skintones, I gave them a value of less than 0, like .05 or .01. That makes them recessive to skintones that are .1, so unless you have skintones inbetween .05 and .1 then the game will always favor the .1 skintone.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 October 16, 15:30:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like you are confusing the skin values and eye/hair values.

Skintones work slightly different and are not dominant, but rather a spectrum.

Since:
.90 - S4
.60 - S3
.30 - S2
.10 - S1

But this does not mean that S4 is 9 times as dominant S1, rather that a child with S1 and S4 parents will end up with ~.50, and thus will be either S3 or S2, with S3 being more likely a bit.

If your custom skintone is .05 and you breed with an S3 (.60) the child will be ~.33, or most likely an S2. But due to the slight random factor he may also be another skintone (although very unlikely!).

Custom .05 and S1 will have about equal chance of being S1 or the custom skintone.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 October 16, 15:38:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, well. Nuts. =p

SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 October 25, 21:16:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've started geneticizing my Enayla pixie skins.  I started with four default replacements, then added the spectrum of "odd" colors at either end, focusing on depth of color, rather than hue, but still trying to keep the colors in families.  I hope this eliminates two "normal" sims having strangely colored babies.  I threw the Glory skin, which is about the same as S3, but with leaves all over, in the middle for a sort of pseudo-recessive Pixie gene.  My goal was to have "normal" families occasionally exibit Pixie tendencies.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 October 25, 21:59:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting...  At the pale end (<0.10), your spectrum goes darker as the numbers get smaller, such that I notice your 0.01 (Is that Moss, maybe?) could almost be blended into the dark shades at the opposite end.

Dewshine's system is similar.  She started with the very deep shades (>0.90) and sorted the peculiar shades from dark to light ending up with the pale but strange shades overflowing (>1.00).  Really, what we need is for the genetic skin system to be made circular!  Cheesy  That way, half the circle can be otherworldly, and the other half perfectly normal.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 October 25, 22:09:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

YES that would be perfect!  I stuck Moss on that end to keep the greens separate from the purples; I didn't want two purpley sims to have green babies.
ShipShape
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2008 December 01, 18:16:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I think I'm doing something wrong...not sure though. I got Enayla's Eye set (Not the Eyeless one) and have been trying to de-customize them. I Deleted the product and version flags, and changed flags from 8 to 0, then changed creator to 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000? Any suggestions as to why the CC Star still shows up in BodyShop?
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2008 December 01, 21:09:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Necromance much?  Tongue

I don't know WTF you're doing with those flags, but I assume you have your reasons.  Read the FAQ for tutes on geneticising eyes.  In addition, this post by Mens Mortuus is useful for making the eyes available to townies, once you have geneticised correctly.

If you still have trouble, visit Madam Mim's to see how she did her eyes.  More questions?  Start your own thread for new shiny info.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: