More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 08, 18:00:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  This is the pits
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: This is the pits  (Read 10046 times)
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
This is the pits
« on: 2005 December 08, 01:54:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First off this is not a problem but it is an odd/amusing situation and I'm kind of wondering why it suddenly started happening? Underneath the home in one of my lots I have a very deep pit. Since my sims insist I buy musical instrument for them and I do not want them running over to play  every time I turn around, I keep the instruments in the pit.
 It seemed to be a pretty good solution until the day one of my teens and her friend came home from school, got off the bus and somehow teleported themselves into the pit with the guitar and drums I'm sure they had a grand time until all their needs bottomed out and every time I tried to take care of their needs the action fell out of the qeue. So I went looking to see what the problem was...and looking and looking. Finally found the silly things trapped in the pit so I exited without saving.
Things seemed to go back to normal for a few days but then today the same teen and her friend wound up in the pit again. I have been playing this house with a pit for a couple of months with no problem. I am wondering if it has anything to do with this sims wants and the fact that she has recently gotten a lot of creativity skill points? Maybe she is really determined to play the drums and the hell with needing any stairs? I did recently add the noharassbaby hack and a reservable desk with homework hack and I know sometimes hacks do strange things but???  So, any thoughts on this?
vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: This is the pits
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 08, 01:57:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, any thoughts on this?

This is possibly the best basis for a Sims story I have ever heard. Seriously.  Cheesy

But no useful thoughts, I'm afraid.
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 08, 02:04:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't really do stories but feel free if you want, could be entertaining in the right hands Cheesy thx
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 08, 02:07:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can I make a suggestion. How about turning the pit into a proper basement rumpus room?  If you're not sure how to do this, and want to give it a try, let me know and I'll attempt to explain.  It's time consuming and fiddly in an already furnished house, but it's possible.

Zephyr Zodiac
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 08, 02:17:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can I make a suggestion. How about turning the pit into a proper basement rumpus room?  If you're not sure how to do this, and want to give it a try, let me know and I'll attempt to explain.  It's time consuming and fiddly in an already furnished house, but it's possible.
Can do basements, but was looking for an easy way to keep sims from constantly wanting to play the instruments all the time. Tried keeping the instruments in the attic or on the roof but the stupid sims would keep standing underneath being frustrated having the want to play the instrument that they couldn't get to. Tried walling them off in a far corner of the lot too. If the instruments are in the nice deep pit the sims don't even get the want to play, or so I thought until the other day... Tongue
But like I said not a problem, just kind of strange.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 08, 02:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about keeping the instruments in the Inventory?
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 08, 02:35:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know what may have caused your problem, but I recommend putting the instruments behind one of Inge's security doors. They not only keep Sims out of a certain area, they keep them from wanting things on the other side. Simlogical.com
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 08, 02:36:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had that happen to me as well.  I created a house with a basement but left out the stairs.  I figured I'd store things there, out of reach of my sims.  Well on several occasion I found my sims in the basement.  Finally I gave in and put in some stairs.

What I would suggest is you use some of the hacks that you can find here that eliminates the sims from whining along with the route-no-fail hack.  So when they want something and can't have it, they just stand there for a few minutes, and then wander away.  Much more peaceful than the incessant whining and foot stomping.  Very indignified! This way you can store your musical instruments behind a locked door (another hack) or simply in the attic.   Also, if you prefer to go hackless, I have heard that Sims will not "see" any object behind a dorm door that is not keyed to them, although I have not tried this tactic.

Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 08, 02:54:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NO NL until C'mas so no inventory.  I didn't know Inges door would stop wants too so that sounds like it might be what I need, thanks for the link!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 08, 10:24:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you put them in the inventory, it doesn't stop them from wanting them. Seriously-the inventory sucks!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 08, 10:55:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure the dorm doors would work, as they don't want to use a computer if it's in a dormie's room, at least, not that I've noticed. 

You could actually still use the basement idea, just have the stairs walled off with a dorm door or one of Inge's doors to keep them out.

Oh, I did use a dorm door a while back at the Grunts' to keep Buzz out of the tower so the little Grunt could have an expensive telescope and get abducted (mine are the always abduct variety) but Buzz wouldn't be able to get to it.  Just wasn't in the moood at the time for a pregnant Buzz!  As far as I remember, Buzz just went and played chess instead.

Zephyr Zodiac
themaltesebippy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 09, 21:46:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.djssims.com/ has a mod for each instrunment to make it non autonomous.  The only thing is that no one will play the instruments on community lots unless told to.  99% of my sims don't even have as much as a TV in their house so I just use the one for the piano, so that my lots will have sims playing the other instruments on them.  2Jeffs also has a hack to prevent the instrument wants from coming up.
CatGirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 09, 22:38:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but does anyone know how they got into the basement? This happened to me very shortly after I got the base game -- it was a townie caught in a particularly deep foundation, and I didn't notice him until he starved to death and the Grim Reaper came. Walking through walls, dropping through floors?
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 09, 22:49:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but does anyone know how they got into the basement? Walking through walls, dropping through floors?
Exactly what I've been wondering, and thanks for the link Bippy. I think that might work even better than the doors, although I can think of some other wonderful uses for those doors!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 09, 23:01:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The NoBuskers mod should keep any townies from playing instruments, and your sims will only autonomously practice, not perform - except at parties.

Zephyr Zodiac
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 10, 06:56:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The NoBuskers mod should keep any townies from playing instruments, and your sims will only autonomously practice, not perform - except at parties.
Is that what that mod does? I had no idea what buskers/busking was, thought maybe it was some kind of woohoo hack or something  Tongue
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 10, 08:17:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Busking is playing music or singing for tips, like they do to entertain theatre queues or shopping crowds.  Basically, any activity that asks people to give them money which isn't simply begging counts as busking, I think because begging is against the law here in the UK (although it does go on.)

Zephyr Zodiac
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 12, 16:14:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you put them in the inventory, it doesn't stop them from wanting them. Seriously-the inventory sucks!

I like the inventory.  It's a little bothersome to keep taking out the bowling alley and the DJ booth and say "see, you have it already" but it always makes the wants reroll into something more sensible. 

Edit:  TaWanda, maybe they fell into the pit?  If I saw a chocolate brownie in a pit and I was just thinking of having a chocolate brownie, I may consider sliding down too.
« Last Edit: 2005 December 12, 16:23:07 by Muisie » Logged
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 12, 17:10:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the inventory is at least somewhere to keep the 99 expensive dining chairs!

Zephyr Zodiac
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 12, 23:18:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Buy and Sell! After the first day, you can resell most items and not lose the status gained.

I have a wealth sim that always wants an expensive fireplace: I buy it, they get all happy, and then I sell it back -- over and over again.  Works fo me.....
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 12, 23:22:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Buy and Sell! After the first day, you can resell most items and not lose the status gained.

I have a wealth sim that always wants an expensive fireplace: I buy it, they get all happy, and then I sell it back -- over and over again.  Works fo me.....

I do that too Wink

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 13, 00:33:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know it works,  but somehow I feel it shouldn't, they should get all upset like they do when the burglar steals their favourite picture.  That's really why I only sell stuff if I'm buying them a dearer replacement.  (Except when they're poor and I buy them beds that you buy cheap and sell dear in the morning!)

Zephyr Zodiac
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2005 December 13, 01:42:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There have been several times when I've had problems with sim kids and teens get home from school and instead of getting off the bus just end up teleporting somewhere like behind the house.  Generally speaking this would happen when there were more than two kids getting off.  I do believe it's a bug.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 December 13, 01:50:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a family member coming home by car at the same time?

(One thought - teleporting is better than being stuck on the bus!)

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: