More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 13, 15:58:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Is there any harm in this?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is there any harm in this?  (Read 3776 times)
bimbelina
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Is there any harm in this?
« on: 2007 August 13, 13:16:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently started my game over with a new install, and I'm downloading different things this time, and trying to keep them organized.  I'm having a hard time doing so, though.  If I organized by designer, I wind up with multiple copies of a mesh multiple designers have used.  If I organize by room type, I wind up with duplicate objects (for example, the same end table in both living room and bedroom folders.  Is this harmful to my game? 
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
Re: Is there any harm in this?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 13, 13:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the more downloads you have, the longer wait you're going to have during loading.

May I suggest.....keeping the original files organized by designer and on your desktop / on a CD / somewhere not your Downloads folder. Then you can organize your download folder by the nature of the content...one sub-folder for clothing, one for hair, etc.
This way, the files are easy to find and you don't end up with duplicates. It's worked well for me.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 13, 13:50:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should try to avoid having multiple copies of the same object.  There are several tools which detect duplicates.  You may want to try Delphy's Download Organizer
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 13, 14:18:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may want to try Delphy's Download Organizer
I sorted a downloads folder with over 7000 files in about 30 minutes using DDO, and it also scans for duplicates.

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 13, 14:29:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Besides keeping copies of the original downloads, get any duplicates scanning tool of your liking and let it search your downloads folder.

I'm using NoClone, which is unfortunately not free, but pretty neat with its smartmarker function as well as the "Keep one copy" option.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 13, 14:52:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For hair and clothes, I have separate folders "hair meshes" and "clothing meshes", and drop there the corresponding files, in this way I almost never have duplicated meshes, and can quickly check if I already have a required mesh or not, when I'm downloading stuff.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
bimbelina
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 14, 05:55:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the replies, all.  Here's what I've decided on.  Download source files go into folders by site\designer or mimic how the site is laid out.  Files I put in my game go into buckets according to what type of file they are.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: