More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 00:27:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  More issues with NL
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: More issues with NL  (Read 11408 times)
Now&Then
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
More issues with NL
« on: 2005 September 17, 19:19:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shocked I haven't seen anyone bring these up yet, so I just thought I would mention them and see if anyone else was having the same problems. So I appologize in advance if these have been brought up, I just haven't seen them.

The blank icon bug appears to have returned. Although it doesn't seem to have effected everything this time. The memories are still retained, just the icon pic is gone, and the sim who gets a job promotion recognizes that they got one. How ever it is still causing the grim reaper to show up invisible.
The Dj both is not interact-able/selectable after you click on it and tell the sim to go dj.
These are the only bugs I have experienced so far.

My daughter on the other hand.....
Had sim get in taxi to go downtown. when sim arrived downtown, she could not go into actual play mode, she could only go into build and buy mode.
Upon loading the game and going into her town, she assigned a downtown to her town. After doing that all her people that she had been previously playing prior to NL have mysterisouly disappeared. Grant it she only had one or two houses with people in them, but they are gone. Never to be found or seen again.

FYI:
I have Windows XP and I have two seperate logins for the sims 2 only. One for her to use and play and one for me to use and play. So the werid stuff she has been seeing hasn't happened to me yet. cause we are playing off of two seperate files for the game.
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: More issues with NL
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 18, 03:23:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Had sim get in taxi to go downtown. when sim arrived downtown, she could not go into actual play mode, she could only go into build and buy mode.

Was it the cemetery lot, by any chance? I have that problem, too, but so far only on Gothier Green Lawns, and it doesn't matter whether Sims take a Taxi there, or drive their own cars.
Now&Then
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 18, 15:18:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, since I was not the one playing when that happened, I am not sure what the name of the lot was, but it was some place you could eat at.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 18, 21:05:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had blank want icons too, but only with college graduates. In fact, out of six graduates, only one still has his six want slots and two locks. They are all permanent platinum, so I don't mind the loss of the slots all that much. Four of the six got icons back after a couple of days of gameplay and haven't had a problem since (it could have been the same want that eventually expired) and two of them I haven't really played much but they seem to be the worst about it, only showing the want that I locked and never rolling up new wants that display.
I wanted to do the fix where you extract an object file from your disk, but for that fix you used the University disk, and I can't find the same file on the Nightlife one. I'm worried about using the University one, so I think that family will sit it out for the patch.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 18, 22:35:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having problems with blank want slots on a couple of Sims, too.  Both of them are NPC Sims who were originally teenagers in the neighborhood who I sent to college and am now playing in the regular hood. 

Now&Then
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 19, 01:13:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah It doesn't appear that the nightlife disc has an object.package file, if there is one, I can not find it either. I did try replacing the one that is in the UNI, as before NL came out, but it didn't correct the problem nor has it affected anything else.
So I guess until a patch comes out, or JM can figure it out, we are all just stuck.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 19, 08:23:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bummer.
I just had more icon problems, with teens who never touched campus, much less pp status. They lost all of their uni wants and now only have job wants. Plus, my one graduate who still had his six want slots was in that house, now he only has four. All three sims lost their locked wants too.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 19, 08:41:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have had this problem with a few sims when moving them into a new house.  They were sims I had upgraded using the lot debugger.  It wouldn't work on them again, so I added the slots and locks back with the Insimenator.  I then used the aspiration adjuster to refresh their wants, and I either got them to achieve a want if it was quick and easy, such as talking to a family member, or I used boolprop to trigger small wants.  After a few rounds of this, they were soon back to "normal."  I didn't notice any more problems with them.  If you want to try InSim, the site says that the OBJ version works with Nightlife, and Eric is working on updating the other versions this weekend.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 20, 14:26:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The one dormie that I invited to move in with a graduated sim didn't get his extra want slots at all.  He should have had 6, he did get a diploma though.
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 03, 09:53:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah It doesn't appear that the nightlife disc has an object.package file, if there is one, I can not find it either.
It's on Nightlife's Disk 2.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 03, 16:15:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right, it's definitely there, just on disc 2 like Hairfish said. If you check your Nightlife objects.package file and the date it was last modified is later than August, then the file has been corrupted and needs to be replaced.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
amjoie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 04, 14:28:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This started happening to me after playing a while. Since I was testing mods, I thought maybe one of them triggered it. I took out downloads entirely, but the problem wasn't solved. I tried generating a whole new Sims 2 folder in Documents/EA Games (by removing the old Sims 2 folder and starting the game up, forcing the generation of a new folder) and that didn't work. So it wasn't a corrupted Groups cache. Whatever had gone wrong had happened in the Programs/EA Games folder -- the main game install.

So, after making a back up,  I uninstalled and then reinstalled just the NightLife expansion. That fixed the problem. So I reinstalled the CEP and put my centerpiece fireplace back in the Programs/EA folder. Still worked fine, and has continued to work through a lot of game play.

Since I did have a few mods at the time of the problem, that I found out later were not recommended (Carrigon had already said they were not good for NightLife, but I just hadn't checked her site yet), I am still not sure that the problem would have started without mods in the game.

I am waiting to see if the game corrupts again, with only NightLife approved mods.

It may even be something as simple as having moved an older preNightLife neighborhood backup into the new game -- long after installation. I had done that at the time, also. Perhaps NightLife has to be installed over older neighborhoods, rather than just bringing them in. Shrug.

At any rate, if just an expansion reinstall works, without changing anything else, it is a simple and easy fix -- even if it turns out to be a Maxis glitch causing it. I saved a copy of the newly reinstalled Program/EA Games folder, after I had reinstalled the CEP and placed the centerpiece fireplace in it. If it happens again, I might try only changing that out. It would be even a simpler fix, it if works.

For every King, there is a Queen ....
linolino
Exasperating Eyesore

Linosim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 04, 14:37:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you check your Nightlife objects.package file and the date it was last modified is later than August, then the file has been corrupted and needs to be replaced.

Hey, that gave me an idea. What if we set the objects.package file to "read only"?  then maybe it won't get corrupted again..
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 04, 17:17:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, that gave me an idea. What if we set the objects.package file to "read only"?  then maybe it won't get corrupted again..

That's what I've done in my game. There was a thread around here recently where someone asked MaxoidTom that and he said that was perfectly safe to do and should prevent any corruption problems with that file since nothing in that file is supposed to be modified after the game is installed.

*edit: I found the post

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=718.msg25924;topicseen#msg25924

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 08, 07:18:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I set mine to Read Only, and haven't had any trouble since.

One question, though ~ will this allow us to use that blasted remote controlled car?
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 10, 15:32:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just had an issue with the RC car.  One of my frat boys was throwing a graduation party, and one of the other frat members went to campus and brought back that stupid car.  I didn't notice until I saw the icon in his queue where he was playing with it.  I canceled it so I could get rid of it, but when I clicked on the icon, I got a message that an error had occurred in the Party controller.  (I play with testing cheats enabled.)  After a moment, the party scoring box went away, and my YA never graduated and grew up.  He had the option to throw another party, but it never started the scoring scenario, so since I had saved my game right before the party, I exited without saving and started over.  I have started saving right before a party because of problems like this.  This time the guy brought an old armchair from campus, and the party went without a hitch.  I had some wedding parties back before I installed Uni that seemed to have gotten "lost" because I didn't have the scoring box and they never got a memory of a great wedding party or the limo.  I didn't have testing cheats on then, so I figure there must have been a similar error that crashed the party controller, but I didn't know about it.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 10, 16:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ya know, I have read about sims bringing stuff back to the dorm or house in uni but I have yet to see this. My sims dont even wander off to campus unless they are going to class.

And I dont get anything but flowers generally for a dream date in NL, except once I got a potted palm from a "good" date.

Do you have to have some super duper graphics card or something?
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 10, 16:23:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ya know, I have read about sims bringing stuff back to the dorm or house in uni but I have yet to see this. My sims dont even wander off to campus unless they are going to class.

And I dont get anything but flowers generally for a dream date in NL, except once I got a potted palm from a "good" date.

Do you have to have some super duper graphics card or something?
No, my graphics card isn't all that great, it just barely runs the game I think.   Undecided  Only students in a Greek fraternity/sorority house will do this though, not dorms or non-greek houses.
lowlucious
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 October 10, 16:48:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't read this around here or on any other forums, but recently I have experienced a problem with the vampires turning townies into vampires (I read about that problem). The problem is if your sim is good friends with the sim that is turned into a vampire you are supposed to be able to influence them to drink the stuff to cure vampirisim but when I have tried that nothing happens. The sim influences the other sim and it is almost like it falls out of queue but it doesn't. They influence, they do the animation but the points aren't taken and the sim who is influenced does not drink the the stuff to cure vampirisim. The one time the influence actually does not work.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 October 10, 18:09:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims living in a greek house wander off to "visit campus" a lot, usually bringing back pizza, but sometimes other objects.  The whole concept of them bringing back a remote control car and me not catching it is enough to put me off playing greek houses forever.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 October 10, 18:37:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I could be wrong but I thought greek members bring back objects rather than pizza when the greek house is at level 5-6. I've never had greek houses with that high of a level (mine are all about 3, I think I have one level 4), so far all my greek sims have brought back nothing but pizza, when I let them go. Most of the time I cancel out of the "visit campus" action because I was tired of the half eaten pizza and pizza boxes littering the lot. I don't know why they go get another pizza when the first one still has plenty of slices and is still fresh. Roll Eyes Very annoying.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 October 10, 21:57:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Greek houses because for one thing they don't have to sleep nearly as much.  They can probably go a couple of days without sleep.  Mine are all level 6 houses because everyone is friends with everybody.  They usually bring back chairs and those spindle end tables that I use to store thinking caps which are good for a few bucks.  They rarely bring the RC car, but this was one of those times.  I save and back up my games obsessively because of various reasons.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 October 11, 00:45:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know why they go get another pizza when the first one still has plenty of slices and is still fresh. Roll Eyes Very annoying.

I think it's more for ambience than for any possible food value.  Having half-eaten pizza and pizza boxes laying around everywhere makes it look more like a bunch of frat boys live there. Smiley

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 October 11, 01:31:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know why they go get another pizza when the first one still has plenty of slices and is still fresh. Roll Eyes Very annoying.

I think it's more for ambience than for any possible food value.  Having half-eaten pizza and pizza boxes laying around everywhere makes it look more like a bunch of frat boys live there. Smiley

Hook

Quite true. All we need is some empty beer bottles, piles of dirty clothes, and a few supermodel posters and it'll be perfect.  Tongue
KookieDoe
Exasperating Eyesore

So Long and Goodnight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2005 October 11, 01:44:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now with nightlife, the changelot zoning cheat is very glitchy.

"So long, and good night"

MATY buddies: Jarsie and Bondage :-)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: