More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 18, 00:30:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Reinstalling & Patch questions
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reinstalling & Patch questions  (Read 4561 times)
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
Reinstalling & Patch questions
« on: 2007 May 14, 12:18:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys.. I have a two-parter for our resident fishes and geniuses.

I went through a proper uninstall this weekend and set about reinstalling (and patching) my game. I have every EP and the two SP's at the end of installing Seasons. Only as I'm finishing do I realize... I missed the base game's patch. >.<

So. First.. do I do a quick uninstall and start over? What would happen if I just told it to run the base game patch while the rest of my EP/SP's are already in and patched, themselves?

Second.. Can someone give me the order I'm supposed to install these in? I could have sworn I had it right, but when I installed GL, it demanded the Pets CD to play. I remember reading in here somewhere that you have to open and play in each house as each pack is added but can't for the life of me remember why.

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Reinstalling & Patch questions
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 14, 12:35:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can patch any expansion even if you have later ones installed. No need to worry about conflicts or anything. Despite assurances to the contrary, patching will in most cases be necessary. For example the OFB patch fixes errors in the B001 'hood, which you would never get if you didn't patch this expansion.
Keep in mind that for the base game the website has a patch which is a higher version than the one that comes with all expansions, so you still need it.

There is no longer a required install order other than the obvious base game first. You can install in any order, just like you can patch in any order.

GLS asked for the Pets CD since Pets is a higher game version than GLS, and you always need the disc for the highest game version to play (except for Celebrations -- while a higher version than Seasons, both Pets and Seasons override it).

The only reason you would want to open and save every house in the base three neighbourhoods before installing an expansion is if you plan to play them, and want the mini-scenarios to work right. This must be done before installing any expansion, and only once.
If you do not care about these mini-scenarios, don't bother with it.
« Last Edit: 2007 May 14, 12:51:28 by Jordi » Logged
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 14, 17:44:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only reason you would want to open and save every house in the base three neighbourhoods before installing an expansion is if you plan to play them, and want the mini-scenarios to work right. This must be done before installing any expansion, and only once.
If you do not care about these mini-scenarios, don't bother with it.

I have never heard of this before.  What happens/goes wrong if you don't play the houses?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 14, 18:06:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nothing goes seriously wrong, but the scenarios can break slightly. For example, all bills disappear from the Dreamer lot. There are supposed to be three unpaid bills, but if uni or later is installed when the lot first loads, no bills at all are there.
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 14, 18:19:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nothing goes seriously wrong, but the scenarios can break slightly. For example, all bills disappear from the Dreamer lot. There are supposed to be three unpaid bills, but if uni or later is installed when the lot first loads, no bills at all are there.

So as far as "Mini-scenario" goes, there is no mini story mode like in life stories. It's really just how the lots appear when you first enter them. You enter the lot for the first time, things will be set up a certain way, you get a couple pop ups about the sims on the lot, and the mini scenario ends?  Is this also the case if the hoods are created after installing everything? Meaning if I delete the neighborhood folder from the my documents/sims 2 the game will create a new neighborhood folder. Will the mini scenario be proper?
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 May 14, 19:40:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahah. Thanks, guys!
So.. I'm SAFE to just patch the base game while leaving all my (previously patched) EP's installed? No go 'splodey? lol

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
Chafe
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 May 14, 19:52:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't the EPs check to patch the base game upon install?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 May 14, 20:21:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Strangel: yup!

Chafe: they do, but it is an older version than the one currently on the website.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 May 14, 23:54:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Given the horrendous job they did on the first Pets patch, I was afraid to install the second one.  Now that the Seasons patch has been out for a while, I have a couple of questions:

1) Does the Seasons patch fix the bug where elders always transition with the same hairstyle (french braid for females, balding for males)?  If not, is there any other compelling reason to install the Seasons patch?  From the description, it didn't sound like they fixed very much.

2) Should I go ahead and install the latest Pets patch, even though I have Seasons installed?  (I don't have the first Pets patch on my current computer, so "fixing what they broke in the first patch" is not a concern for me.)
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 May 15, 01:45:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can't have forgotten to patch the base game when you installed. When you install ANY of the EPs, it forces you to patch the base game if it hasn't already been done. You may not have gone to do it separately, but the installation did it for you.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 May 15, 02:11:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, the bills disappear even if you play the lot before installing expansions, but do nothing with the bills (i.e. don't pay them). That's what happened to me, anyway.

ETA: The second Pets patch works much better than the first one did. It does not seem to break anything, and it actually fixes what it's supposed to fix. Personally, I would recommend installing it.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: