More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 00:11:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Multiple texture spawning?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Multiple texture spawning?  (Read 6344 times)
Metalkatt
Feckless Fool

INTP. Quiet, but deadly.

View Profile
Multiple texture spawning?
« on: 2006 June 17, 13:48:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been slowly but surely working my way through my downloads folder, weeding out objects I don't like/want/need/use.  (I'm already done with bodyshop stuff.)  The thing is, it seems like everytime I start the game and open buyables sections, I always get these multiple instances of recolours popping up.  I'll end up with five or so identical files that do NOT show up as pink on Cleaninstaller.  I delete the extras every time, but they just keep coming back.  This has been happening since my base game, so I know it's not something new... it's just really starting to cheese me off.  Any ideas?

"The voices are talking to me again..."
"You're in class, stupid."

Yes, you're in my noun, verbing my noun.  Now, go away, and let me be!
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Multiple texture spawning?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 17, 15:16:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It may be that the files are gone, but the thumbnails are not, which is why they keep showing up.  You could try deleting groups.cache, which is found in the EA Games/The Sims 2 directory under My Documents, and the various thumbnail files in the Thumbnails directory under that one.  They'll rebuild the next time you run the game -- it'll take a little longer (maybe a lot longer, depending on how much custom content you have) for the catalogs to show the first time you open one as the game rebuilds the thumbnail file.  But that should give you thumbnails of only what's currently in your game.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 17, 18:46:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You also need to be sure that the files you are trying to delete in game are not marked read only.  I wasted about 3 hours that way one time...  Had to delete them all again, another 3 hours. Gah.
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 17, 18:51:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*twojeffs points and laughs.  Tongue

Silly yetyak.
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 17, 23:54:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, but at least I only did it once!!   Grin
verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 18, 00:04:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

im getting a similar problem, or maybe its the reverse?   i get recolors, marked by the nice asterisk, but i dont spawn the trashcan when i point on them and cant delete them.   they probably are different files, but ive ended up with three colors of white sofa from downloading collections.   its only really been happening in NL and OFB.  im wondering if this is something weird im getting from overloading with downloads (who me?)  or if other people are experiencing it too.  i thought of it here because i did end up with some stuff makred readonly, and i dont know how.   since then though i took the whole EA Games tree and made it rw all the way down.  still have my problem.

Life is tough.
Life is Tougher if you act STUPID.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 18, 00:07:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a workaround for that. If you buy the recolour and use the design tool on it, you can then delete it.  Or something like that.

Err...I know it has something to do with that.  Anyone help me out?  Amber?  Helloo.....?
verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 18, 00:12:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

design tool? you mean simpe?  i guess its long past due that i start working with recolors.   

Life is tough.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 18, 00:29:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the design tool is in game.  Looks like a key to me, but I tihnk it's supposed to represent swatches.
verdaeni
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 18, 00:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

uh oh, another blonde moment.   this is like where i didnt realize that i had to configure the red army toilet paper.   okay i'll go check for a key looking thingie...

Life is tough.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 June 20, 22:44:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I have some windows that show blue in the menu, and shift-clicking them didn't help.  Now, I have these in other sets of game files pre-OFB and they are fine.  I also get blue icons for Echo's rugmeshes.  I can only assume that for some reason the actual meshes are showing as icons, and wondered if there is a way around this?

Zephyr Zodiac
Metalkatt
Feckless Fool

INTP. Quiet, but deadly.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 June 21, 21:42:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I have some windows that show blue in the menu, and shift-clicking them didn't help.  Now, I have these in other sets of game files pre-OFB and they are fine.  I also get blue icons for Echo's rugmeshes.  I can only assume that for some reason the actual meshes are showing as icons, and wondered if there is a way around this?

That one I know, having found out by accident.  You have to delete the thumbnails and regenerate completely--I know you said you hate doing it, but it's the only way.  You must've deletted a texture that the thumb was reading as default, so now all the thumbs freak out.  When it regenerates the thumbs, it'll pick a different texture for the default.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 June 21, 21:50:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll follow the advice - but I haven't deleted anything since I installed OFB so it must be left over from when I moved out my previous game and its associated downloads!  Oh well, lets hope this time it works and I don't end up with more blue objects than ever!   Smiley

Zephyr Zodiac
Metalkatt
Feckless Fool

INTP. Quiet, but deadly.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 June 22, 18:28:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll follow the advice - but I haven't deleted anything since I installed OFB so it must be left over from when I moved out my previous game and its associated downloads!  Oh well, lets hope this time it works and I don't end up with more blue objects than ever!   Smiley

That's possible.  I'm a habitual deleter (whose dl folder is still FAR too big), so I run into that a lot.  It just has to be spanked so it finds the right textures to use instead of sitting and pouting about not using the old ones.

starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 June 22, 18:32:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

uh oh, another blonde moment.   this is like where i didnt realize that i had to configure the red army toilet paper.   okay i'll go check for a key looking thingie...

the keylookingthingie is right underneath the eyedropperlookingthingie  Grin

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 June 22, 18:33:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'd think, though, that since I moved the whole downloads folder out before installing oFB, then the newly created PV and put a new set of downloads in, (many I'd used before, but a not the original file, a new copy) that the old set of thumbnails would have gone and a new set would have started to generate.  

Zephyr Zodiac
Metalkatt
Feckless Fool

INTP. Quiet, but deadly.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 June 22, 18:48:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'd think, though, that since I moved the whole downloads folder out before installing oFB, then the newly created PV and put a new set of downloads in, (many I'd used before, but a not the original file, a new copy) that the old set of thumbnails would have gone and a new set would have started to generate.  

You'd think.  Then again, the day that EA lets Maxis be logical is the day the Rhine flows backwards and with amber lager.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 June 22, 18:54:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL! Grin

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: