More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 12, 17:29:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Query About A Possible Rain and Puddles Hack or Mod
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Query About A Possible Rain and Puddles Hack or Mod  (Read 9097 times)
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
Query About A Possible Rain and Puddles Hack or Mod
« on: 2007 March 16, 14:36:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK so sims can use the cold of winter to freeze, the heat of summer to get sunburned, the winds of autumn to fly kites. But all they do with rain is look at it and as for puddles ...  Angry

The hack I envisage would cause sims, upon noticing the rain, realise that if they are outside, then they're getting wet. Detting wet would amount to a slow decrease in hygiene (it would be a neat trick if this could be reversed by going and staying indoors long enough but I don't expect miracles). If free will is on the hack would cause sims to seek the nearest indoors cover where they will wait out the end of the storm (being stupid sims they might just stand in the greenhouse reluctant to go out and get wet).

Oh, yeah .... Jumping in puddles should definitely cause a rapid decrease in hygiene which should stop all but the most dumbnuts PDQ.

Thoughts? Or has it already been done?

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Query About A Possible Rain and Puddles Hack or Mod
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 16, 15:47:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I too noticed how odd it is for sims not reacting to rain pouring on their heads. Even the most dumb real-life animals would seek cover Roll Eyes

But if their comfort and hygiene motives were to suddenly decrease, then maybe they'd seek the next bathtub, so you have my support on that hack suggestion.
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 16, 16:10:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims already run to the bathroom to use the shower or bath far too often. Hygiene declines way to fast just from normal activities in my opinion. On the other hand I think it's fairly stupid how they just stand there in the rain all the time so some consequences and reaction would be good. I think comfort should be the motive that declines, rather than hygiene. If I get caught in the rain I don't immediately feel the need to go home and jump in the shower, but I would go inside and take steps to make myself more comfortable by changing my clothes or dying out etc. I know sims can't do those things but the comfort motive declining would still make more sense to me.

Hygiene for the splashing in puddles though definitely! At the moment your toddler can go play in a pool of pee/toilet water/rain water etc and somehow not get dirty. Undecided
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 16, 17:47:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought that sims are supposed to like cringe and cover their heads when it rains.  No?  Did I imagine watching that somewhere?  Maybe it was a Lies and Propaganda video... but I thought I remember seeing that, even like before Seasons.

A dirty puddles hack shouldn't be too hard to do, I don't think.  I haven't looked at any of the weather code.  Although I'm curious about it.  I tried using disasim on the object package, but it died. :-/  I guess I could check and see if Shy has any plans in updating it.

I suppose I could re-install all the bits and parts for the dizziness again.  I just never got around to re-installing it after I had to do another reformat on my old machine.

Ste

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 16, 18:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The hack I envisage would cause sims, upon noticing the rain, realise that if they are outside, then they're getting wet. Detting wet would amount to a slow decrease in hygiene (it would be a neat trick if this could be reversed by going and staying indoors long enough but I don't expect miracles).
Wouldn't it increase hygiene, at least to a point?

If free will is on the hack would cause sims to seek the nearest indoors cover where they will wait out the end of the storm (being stupid sims they might just stand in the greenhouse reluctant to go out and get wet).

Oh, yeah .... Jumping in puddles should definitely cause a rapid decrease in hygiene which should stop all but the most dumbnuts PDQ.

Thoughts? Or has it already been done?
Well, I can't think of any outright direct effects that rain should have, other than perhaps causing sims to rapidly become more cold if it's cold, unless you want me to switch the rain to the modern acid rain. That will convince everyone to run for cover real fast when it BURNS. But then people would complain about, say, the lack of umbrellas.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 16, 18:26:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I can't think of any outright direct effects that rain should have, other than perhaps causing sims to rapidly become more cold if it's cold

Or a decrease in comfort?  Surely being outside in the rain for prolonged periods would do that.

Personally I would love to see a "no socializing in the rain" hack, perhaps a variant of autosoc where they break off the conversation if it starts to rain (or maybe only if it's raining hard?)  How many people do you know who stand outside chatting in the pouring rain?

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 16, 18:40:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The hack I envisage would cause sims, upon noticing the rain, realise that if they are outside, then they're getting wet. Detting wet would amount to a slow decrease in hygiene (it would be a neat trick if this could be reversed by going and staying indoors long enough but I don't expect miracles).
Wouldn't it increase hygiene, at least to a point?

Acid rain, baby. Although, I guess you could argue that acid rain would make you cleaner, too.

I like the idea of rain reducing your comfort, as Karen says. This is super nitpicky, but it would be okay with me if they were out in light or warm rain, and were repelled by cold rain. I'm surprised EA didn't code it so that sims had a want to play in the rain. I know some people like that.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 16, 18:53:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Umbrella hack would be cool, although knowing TS2 it would become like the infamous stuck chess arm syndrome.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 16, 21:22:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think a decrease in comfort makes sense--unless perhaps the Sim is really hot?  Smiley

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 16, 21:46:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes a decrease in comfort would be my preferred option. Getting wet is uncomfortable ... the wet clothes stick to you and it's cold to wear. I still think puddle jumping should decrease hygiene. Puddles are not potable water, they are little more than mud ... well, puddles that are worth jumping in are Roll Eyes But for heaven's sake let's have something to get them out of the rain, especially as almost all the rain I've had is accompanied by lightning ... I mean what kind of idiot stays outside during a thunder storm!

me shit
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 16, 22:02:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes a decrease in comfort would be my preferred option. Getting wet is uncomfortable ... the wet clothes stick to you and it's cold to wear. I still think puddle jumping should decrease hygiene. Puddles are not potable water, they are little more than mud ... well, puddles that are worth jumping in are Roll Eyes But for heaven's sake let's have something to get them out of the rain, especially as almost all the rain I've had is accompanied by lightning ... I mean what kind of idiot stays outside during a thunder storm!
* Nec looks innocent 

Although usually I am on a roof or headed to the center of the storms, I don't just stand there. Roll Eyes

But it does get uncomfortable when you are soaking wet. I agree with the puddles lowering hygene as well.
Nailati
Jailbird
Retarded Reprobate

brainless piece of sack of fruitcakes

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 16, 22:48:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's too bad there's not a way to distinguish rain-loving Sims from rain-hating Sims. (Not that I can think of, anyway.) We idiots get a tremendous Fun boost from frolicking outside during thunderstorms, and the Comfort decrease doesn't set in until we go inside and notice our soggy clothes.
« Last Edit: 2007 March 16, 23:07:19 by Nailati » Logged

With my frock coat and cane I look rather dashing / And my dapper burnsides make me truly look smashing / I keep an eye peeled to see urchins for thrashing / Then I say to them "Good day, sir!" as an epic tongue-lashing. - notovny

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 16, 22:57:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought that sims are supposed to like cringe and cover their heads when it rains.  No?  Did I imagine watching that somewhere?  Maybe it was a Lies and Propaganda video... but I thought I remember seeing that, even like before Seasons.

Ste

This is what I had envisioned as well. I didn't realize that Sims would stand and chat in the pouring rain, play chess in the rain, get the mail in the rain, etc., in other words, I didn't guess that it would have absolutely no effect on them at all. What's the point in having it rain then?

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 16, 23:21:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's too bad there's not a way to distinguish rain-loving Sims from rain-hating Sims. (Not that I can think of, anyway.) We idiots get a tremendous Fun boost from frolicking outside during thunderstorms, and the Comfort decrease doesn't set in until we go inside and notice our soggy clothes.

Hmmm.  Sloppy Sims love rain (or being out in it,) neat Sims hate it?

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Berg
Dimwitted Dunce

I ARE 2 BLAME 4 HUR TYPOES!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 16, 23:23:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back when we were stuck with the base game only someone, Carrigon I think, made a mod that produced rain (extracted from the game somehow) and I remember that sims reacted to the rain. Clearly, because I was shooting a movie and had to redo a scene because my sim actors started doing some "its raining" gestures and then rushed off the set into the nearest building... Grin

Nailati
Jailbird
Retarded Reprobate

brainless piece of sack of fruitcakes

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 16, 23:29:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Works for me.

With my frock coat and cane I look rather dashing / And my dapper burnsides make me truly look smashing / I keep an eye peeled to see urchins for thrashing / Then I say to them "Good day, sir!" as an epic tongue-lashing. - notovny

gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 16, 23:35:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sloppy and/or playful

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 March 16, 23:43:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I vaguely recall the paper girl throwing a tantrum about the rain, after she'd delivered the paper. I'd never seen that particular tantrum before, and it did seem as though she was trying to avoid the rain. Then she just stood right there stupidly, for longer than usual, before continuing on her way off the lot. Roll Eyes

As for storms and Sims staying outside -- I love storms. I love watching storms. I love the smell of storms. I especially love it when lightning flashes and lights up the night like it was day. I assume that's what 'day' looks like, anyway. Storm watching is a habit I picked up when I lived up the 'Top End' (of Australia) for a while - whenever there was a storm, the TV went out. And this happened a couple of nights a week or more, six months of the year. And this is the weather that I miss. Roll Eyes It's just not the same 'Down South' (everywhere in Australia that isn't the 'Top End') - storms are not as impressive, sunsets are not as brilliant, the temperature is not a steady 32-33 Celsius all year.

I kind of wish Sims could watch the storms... If they're already maxed on skills, and not doing anything of importance. Or if I just want them to get hit by lightning. Whichever.

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 March 16, 23:51:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought that sims are supposed to like cringe and cover their heads when it rains.  No?  Did I imagine watching that somewhere? 

Ste

they do cringe/hunch over a bit when they notice it's raining, I've seen my sims do it quite a few times since installing Seasons.

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 March 16, 23:58:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd love it if playful sims wanted to play in the rain - beats playing in the bathtub imo. And yeah, decrease in comfort and everyone else goes inside.

Don't your toddlers lose hygiene from playing in puddles tho? Mine do. Always have. And the toddler wading pool (which uses that same code) says the toddler will get a hygiene decrease, about the same as ...something... the swimming pool? It's not huge, but definitely there.

Unsouper
straycat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 March 17, 02:03:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought that sims are supposed to like cringe and cover their heads when it rains.  No?  Did I imagine watching that somewhere? 

Ste

they do cringe/hunch over a bit when they notice it's raining, I've seen my sims do it quite a few times since installing Seasons.

I thought it was rain, too, until I zoomed in and realized it was hail, not rain, that they were reacting to. XD
missandrony
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 March 17, 02:14:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'd think it would also increase the chances of catching a cold - walking around in soggy clothes isn't exactly good for your immune system.  Then again, my Sims barely notice being sick.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 March 17, 02:43:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It'd be cool if hanging around in the rain worsened an existing illness.  Maybe then I wouldn't have to wall my sick sims up in a standing-room-only room with no comfort objects.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2007 March 17, 05:08:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm loving these suggestions and ideas.

Nec and Witch. I like thunderstorms, always have, but not enough to get wet for. My favourite vantage point is inside a car. I once had all my hair stand to attention as I opened an 8 foot high steel gate. It was topped with viciously sharp, forged steel spikes (I was married to a shallow imitation of JM) ... it was also wet and there had been two flash/bangs in the previous minute. I got inside the car PDQ and got a ringside view of the next flash. It was several hours before my sight returned to normal myopia.

It'd be cool if hanging around in the rain worsened an existing illness. 

Excellent idea.

So JM, what are the chances?

me shit
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 March 17, 11:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd love it if playful sims wanted to play in the rain - beats playing in the bathtub imo. And yeah, decrease in comfort and everyone else goes inside.

Don't your toddlers lose hygiene from playing in puddles tho? Mine do. Always have. And the toddler wading pool (which uses that same code) says the toddler will get a hygiene decrease, about the same as ...something... the swimming pool? It's not huge, but definitely there.

I've never noticed the hygiene decrease, but then my toddlers don't play with puddles very often because I always have the skilling. What's the toddler wading pool?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: