More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 30, 09:48:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Problem with Satisfying Sibling/Sim Goes to College Want
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Problem with Satisfying Sibling/Sim Goes to College Want  (Read 14035 times)
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
Problem with Satisfying Sibling/Sim Goes to College Want
« on: 2006 August 25, 03:42:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrm... I keep running into these things lately... Tongue

Ok, so... I had the eldest sibling at Uni, and she's a Knowledge Sim, although aspiration doesn't seem to matter. Sims keep rolling up those stupid wants to have their siblings go to college as well. Fine, I say, whatever... I plan on sending them anyways so why not lock those wants. However, I'm planning to stagger them so they are at least one year apart. I moved in the next eldest sibling, and that seemed to work fine. The 2nd eldest is a brother and the eldest is a sister. I'm purposefully segregating them based on gender. With the help of twojeffs dorm controller hack, I'm having one dorm that is all female and another that is all male. Well, I went back to her dorm, and the want was successfully satisfied. She had two memories of her brother growing up well and going to college.

I played the brother's dorm for a year and then I moved in the next eldest brother. I played this lot for a while, and then I went back to the sister's dorm. The want for her 2nd brother to go to college was still locked. Angry The icon changed tho, it looked like his YA self instead of his teen self. The thing is, she got the memory of her 2nd brother growing up well... but this time, she did not get the accompanying memory of him going to college.

So... my questions are:

1) Does this happen often? Where sims (family members) don't get the proper memories sometimes?

2) Can I fix this in game somehow? Maybe using the puppy killer? And if so, how can I do this? Is there a way to add the memory?

3) Or... is the only way to fix this is add the memory outside of the game with SimPE? And if I add the memory this way... will the want be satisfied in the game? Or will I have to use the boolprop shift click to manually satisfy this want? Tongue

ETA:

4) Has this happened to anyone else? And is there a known cause for it? Or is it just one of those random flukey things that just happen? Or is it just something is unique to my game and I screwed up somehow? Tongue

Ste

« Last Edit: 2006 August 25, 04:08:59 by syberspunk » Logged

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Problem with Satisfying Sibling/Sim Goes to College Want
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 25, 03:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't had this happen to me.  Unless someone else has some ideas, I would say that #3 is the only way I know of to fix the problem.  Sad  I don't think that adding the memory manually in SimPE will satisfy the want, and you'll have to use boolprop shift+click as you described.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 25, 04:08:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never, ever been able to satisfy this want. Shift-clicking doesn't work either. I have a hack that eliminated it, it is an Awesome (tm) hack, but I can't recall what its name is. I'll see if I can figure it out.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 25, 07:02:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nocollegeobsession?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 25, 07:15:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nocollegeobsession?

That's the one!

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 25, 08:34:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrm... but I have nocollegeobsession and afaik, I don't have any hacks that would conflict with it.

I was looking at the code and it calls

###
# Group = 0x7F575EBF, Instance = 0x201D
# Title = Relative - Memory Distribution by NID

which iterates through sims via

5: Set to Next: Local 1 := next Neighbor with non zero var3 relationship to neighbor ID in temp 0; true: A, false: true

Now I'm not sure exactly what non zero var3 relationship is. Does this type of Set to Next specifically search only through relatives? I mean, I assume that's what it is supposed to do according to the name. As far as I know... I'm pretty sure that, at the time, the sister and the 2nd brother did have a 'non zero' relationship. I'm pretty sure they were best friends.

I can only think of a few reasons why it would not be satisfied:

1) I totally imagined that they were best friends, and it is quite possible that they did not have a 'non zero var3' relationship. As a result, the Set to Next wouldn't have found the sister in the search...

2) The memory was set... but maybe, since I did not go to her lot... the change was not saved? The first time it happened with the 1st brother, after he transitioned, I quit and saved, and went to her lot, just to check if it would work to begin with. So, when I did it the second time... I just assumed it would work and I didn't bother to go to the sister's lot. Maybe, because I did not go and visit her lot that 2nd time, that change wasn't saved? Huh

3) It's a total buggy fluke and just didn't work in this case for some crazy phantom/unknown/magical reason. Tongue

Incidentally... since the game only satisfies the want for sims with a 'non zero var3' type of relationship... could the 'CT - Test - Sim Goes To College' in nocollegeobsession be edited so that it checks if the sim who has the want actually has a 'non zero var3' type of relationship with the sim who is the subject of the want? Is there a way to check for this and add this check in the want? Maybe that will help reduce the occurrence of this want rolling up.

What is a 'non zero var3' relationship anyways. Does it just check if the sim is a relative and has a non zero relationship? Or is it checking if the relationship is above some threshold value. Does that mean it could show up if the relationship is negative? Maybe you could add a check to see if the sims are at least friends or have an STR >= N, some threshold that you deem appropriate. Maybe at least 25 or something. I dunno. But that could probably help reduce the clogging of want slots, especially in large families. Tongue This family in particular has 7 siblings, and in the beginning, the elder sibs kept having their wants clogged up with wanting all their younger sibs go to college, which is really annoying. And even when I played the eldest to the point where she added her 5th slot, it just opened up another space for yet another sibling. Roll Eyes

Ste

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 25, 11:21:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From "Global" (0x7FD46CD0):

STR# 0x102(Relationship labels):

0x0: STR
0x1: UI Flags/Ownership Value
0x2: LTR
0x3: Familial Relationship
0x4: Sync People
0x5: Childhood UIFlags
0x6: Teen UIFlags
0x7: Adult UIFlags
0x8: Attraction Score

My guess is there's something that breaks the "CT - Add Memory" chain every now and then. Given the overall flakiness of the memory system, there's no telling what kludges are there that deliberately break it for one reason or another. I've noticed that in general the Add Memory has been totally unreliable since Uni patch1.

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 25, 13:17:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh... well, it looks like I think I broke it myself. Tongue I went to look at the memories of the rest of the family members and what not, and I think I screwed things up a bit when I did some manul editing with SimPE. Heh. This is why I hate manual editing, because I'm bound to screw things up. Roll Eyes

I had added another sibling in the game manually. I started him out as YA to begin with, and then I went and added the relationships and what not in SimPE. I also went in and added memories to the rest of the family so they had one of him going to Uni. Except, I did something very stupid and just copied the "Went to College" memory instead of changing it to "$Subject Went to College" memory. Stupid me. I don't remember exactly when I did this... but I think I did it in between the time that I sent the sister to Uni but defintely Before I sent the other two brothers to Uni. So that is probably why the memories did not get properly distributed among the other family members. However, it doesn't quite explain why the sister got a memory of One of the brothers going to Uni and not the other. *shrugs* Maybe that might have to do with my theory that, because I played her dorm after sending the 1st brother.

In any case, I went back and fixed all the memories. I will keep an eye out for what happens when I send the remaining of the brood to Uni. Hopefully it will be fixed now, and when the next sib goes in, the memories will be properly distributed.

Ste

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 25, 14:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could it be because they only tend to get memories of the first child in a family going to college?  That's always irritated me, the fact that only the first one is recognised.  Maybe it has something to do with that?

I also read somewhere recently that if the new YA doesn't move into the same dorm, the want won't be satisfied until the other Sim either talks to them on the phone or comes into physical (pixel?) contact with them.  Did this actually happen in your game?

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 August 25, 15:00:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, do you have "No duplicate Memories"? I realized in another thread that was causing a problem for me. I had a woman pregnant with an alien and no memory of being abducted.

Maybe something similar with your problem, since I have the same problem as you, only having some of the teens being recognized as going to college. I've even had the parents not recognize that their child had left the nest for college and their want was still locked.

I just removed it from my game, so I'll see if that fixes the college want problem.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 August 25, 15:33:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it wouldn't technically be a duplicate memory because it would be "Brother C went to College" not "Brother B Went to College."

The no duplicate memories would be for things like "Son A got an A+" every day he comes home from school. Or "Burned Toast" each time a sim with no cooking points burns food.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 August 25, 15:49:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to have problems with college memories if I moved a fresh YA into an already populated dorm.  I dn't know if that's till the case, since I never risk it anymore.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 August 26, 00:26:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bleh, I started a reply with a lengthy explanation of what I did, but my browser ate it somehow. Tongue

Could it be because they only tend to get memories of the first child in a family going to college?  That's always irritated me, the fact that only the first one is recognised.  Maybe it has something to do with that?

I don't really have evidence to support or refute this, at least not in my game. This is actually the first time that I have ever sent more than one child to Uni from the same family. When I searched through the memories of the rest of the family that was still at home, they had the 'artificially added' memory of "Went to College" that really should have been "$Sim Went to College" for this sim that I added to the family via SimPE. They had correct memories for the first sim that I moved to Uni in-game through regular gameplay.

I also read somewhere recently that if the new YA doesn't move into the same dorm, the want won't be satisfied until the other Sim either talks to them on the phone or comes into physical (pixel?) contact with them.  Did this actually happen in your game?

That might be a possibility since, when I moved the 1st brother into a separate dorm, I probably did have phone contact between the sister in the other dorm. However... I am fairly certain that I also had the 1st brother call home and speak to his other sibs and his parents... none of which had memories of him going to college. BUT... I did not actually go and play the home lot. I Did play the sister's lot. Maybe... if I had gone to the family lot in Pleasantview and called him from their side, it might have made a difference? But if it requires playing the 'other side' to make sure the memory gets distributed... I don't think I had the sister contact the 1st brother when I played her dorm. I just entered her dorm, right after I had moved him in, and the want was immediately satisfied. This led me to believe that the want for the 2nd brother should have been satisfied the next time I just entered her lot.

Also, do you have "No duplicate Memories"? <snip>

Maybe something similar with your problem, since I have the same problem as you, only having some of the teens being recognized as going to college. I've even had the parents not recognize that their child had left the nest for college and their want was still locked.

Hrm... sounds like it might be similar... but no, I do not have that mod. However... I did stare at the code for a bit, and I saw something where, if a memory is of a certain type, it might not be generated. This might possibily be an inherit, built-in feature to prevent duplicates of certain types of memories.... I suspect that, since I had wrongly added the memory of "Went to College" that maybe the game detected this on the brothers that I moved in, and therefore did not generate them properly. And additionally, because of that, maybe it screwed up the distributing of the memory to the rest of the family members?

I used to have problems with college memories if I moved a fresh YA into an already populated dorm.  I dn't know if that's till the case, since I never risk it anymore.

So... are you saying that, everytime you move a sim to uni, you use a totally new dorm? As in one that is totally unoccupied and requires the generation of new dormies? I think that would be a bit extreme, and open your game up to excessive generation of dormies... well, unless you use nodormieregen or something. In which case, you'd have pretty sparse dorms...

I did move the 1st brother into a dorm that was already occupied... but then it is still kind of weird that the sister in the other dorm got a memory for the 1st brother and not the 2nd brother.

Oh well... in anycase... since I've fixed the memories (hopefully... *crosses fingers* Tongue) I should be able to observe what happens when I move in the next sibling in. I looked at the code for nocollegeobsession, which checks to see if their days left in age is < 5. However, it seems that, despite the fact that I've used the elixir to rewind their days left in the teen stage, their older/uni sibs still keep rolling up these wants. So I guess I'll just lock them and see what happens next. Roll Eyes

Ste

gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 August 26, 01:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So... are you saying that, everytime you move a sim to uni, you use a totally new dorm? As in one that is totally unoccupied and requires the generation of new dormies? I think that would be a bit extreme, and open your game up to excessive generation of dormies... well, unless you use nodormieregen or something. In which case, you'd have pretty sparse dorms...

I did move the 1st brother into a dorm that was already occupied... but then it is still kind of weird that the sister in the other dorm got a memory for the 1st brother and not the 2nd brother.

I'm wondering if this is connected to how you don't get the Going to College cutscene if you move them into an already occupied place?  The times that has happened in my game I wasn't trying to satisfy a Sibling Goes to College want, so I didn't notice whether the older sibling got the memory.

Now playing: UNI, NL, OFB, & Pets
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 August 26, 02:01:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I 've had problems with that cutscene. Every single person in a household of six wanted their own cutscene. I'm not sure how I managed it, but I somehow turned off cutscenes between two of them. That was a bad start to what would be a tedious household.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 August 26, 08:29:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These days I use nodormieregen, but in my experience the game recycles dormies anyway, it doesn't have to create a whole new set for each sim.  I did use to just move my sims into an empty lot, watch the cutscene and save, then move them to the dorm.

I'm wondering if this is connected to how you don't get the Going to College cutscene if you move them into an already occupied place?  The times that has happened in my game I wasn't trying to satisfy a Sibling Goes to College want, so I didn't notice whether the older sibling got the memory.
That's what I've been thinking.  The stupid parents in my game seem to need to actually see their kids off themselves to realize that they've gone to college.  No cinematics = no memory (although turning cinematics off works).

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 August 27, 00:54:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These days I use nodormieregen, but in my experience the game recycles dormies anyway, it doesn't have to create a whole new set for each sim.  I did use to just move my sims into an empty lot, watch the cutscene and save, then move them to the dorm.

That's what I've been thinking.  The stupid parents in my game seem to need to actually see their kids off themselves to realize that they've gone to college.  No cinematics = no memory (although turning cinematics off works).

I have cinematics off because my computer is technically not up to spec and can't run them anyway, so would I still need to move each child in seperately as if I expected the cutscene or could I put them all together since it's turned off anyway without the risk of lost memories?

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 August 27, 08:32:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have cinematics off because my computer is technically not up to spec and can't run them anyway, so would I still need to move each child in seperately as if I expected the cutscene or could I put them all together since it's turned off anyway without the risk of lost memories?

I also have cinematics off (simply because I don't like them).  It's not the video that's important, it's the act of getting out of the taxi and doing the age spin, and they only do that when they move into an empty lot.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 August 27, 22:05:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrm... when you say empty lot... you mean a totally empty lot, with no house built on it? And if you do this multiple times (i.e. moving a sim onto the lot, saving, and then moving them out to a dorm), does the game still think of it as 'unoccupied' and you get a cutscene every time? Or do you have to plop down a totally new empty lot each time?

Hrm... wait... are you saying that, if you don't view the cutscene, then the memory doesn't get created properly? I'm confused, because then you say:

I also have cinematics off (simply because I don't like them).  It's not the video that's important, it's the act of getting out of the taxi and doing the age spin, and they only do that when they move into an empty lot.

So... do you mean you get the memories correctly if you turn off the cinematics? And I'm still confused about what you mean by 'emtpy lot' i.e. is it a totally empty lot with no building on it, or empty residence or dorm that has a pre-built house or dorm on it but  has not yet been moved into?

Ste

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 August 27, 22:41:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrm... when you say empty lot... you mean a totally empty lot, with no house built on it? And if you do this multiple times (i.e. moving a sim onto the lot, saving, and then moving them out to a dorm), does the game still think of it as 'unoccupied' and you get a cutscene every time? Or do you have to plop down a totally new empty lot each time?

She means any unoccupied lot, be it a dorm, rental house, or empty lot.  The first teen that arrives on an unoccupied lot gets out of a taxi and does the 'spin change' into a YA, even if you don't have cinematics on.  If you move a sim from the student bin into an occupied lot, they don't get the spin change -- you just get the 'merge households?' dialog.  You also don't get the spin change if the student is already a YA, and just moving between lots.
« Last Edit: 2006 August 28, 13:17:51 by jsalemi » Logged

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 August 28, 02:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe Gwill is female. Wink
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 August 28, 02:49:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't usually have probs with this(used to have it happen all the time).  If this is the first time that it has happened to you, then it is probably one of the many Sim quirks.  I have four vacant lots that correspont to my four greek houses.  I send the one sim in and they have the cut scene--then I plop the rest in.  I go in and have each of them call the greek house(at this time there is only one person in it)and they get accepted, then I move them one by one to the greek house.  I always do this and out of three generations in two neighbor hoods--that has never happened again---after nightlife and the Uni patch. 
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 August 28, 13:17:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe Gwill is female. Wink

D'oh!  I fixed it...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 August 28, 14:10:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're playing in one of the pre-existing colleges (and not one you created from scratch) the dormies are already generated for each of the pre-existing dorms on the campus. They show up as random college students wandering around the campus, but will populate the same dorms.

I learned this because I tend to move my college kids into a dorm, then have them inducted into the Greek house where all my other playable sims are. I began noticing the pattern of which dormies showed up in which dorm. There is a definite pattern and they're already assigned to a specific dorm. I don't think you would generate more unless you create a brand new dorm on the neighborhood grid.

proudbrunette
Blathering Buffoon

FIRE!!!!!!lol what does lmao mean???!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 August 28, 14:18:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

this always happens to me but the want is always "new family memeber". like the mom has a baby but the sibling's want isn't fulfilled.

i agree with the dictionary:
    girls before guys
    partying before studying
    and friends before love!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: