More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 20:07:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Is there a micromanagers anonymous?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is there a micromanagers anonymous?  (Read 14464 times)
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
Is there a micromanagers anonymous?
« on: 2006 July 12, 00:03:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I have a serious problem:  All my Sims are paired off as soon as I know their gender (like, seconds after they're born), get all their toddler skills, get straight A's as kids and teens, have 25+ skill points when they go to college, graduate summa cum laude, marry within hours after graduating, get along nicely if not extremely well with everyone, get to the top of their career, acheive their LTW, always grow up well, and die of old age.  I have not yet achieved total perfection in running businesses, but I'm well on my way.  I do all this without cheats and only download hacks that fix actual problems.

Therefore, I'm organising my own intervention.  We need to totally mess up my micromanaging ways before I stop having fun with this totally awesome game.  I am hoping to follow these rules from now on, and you guys can propose more if you would like to help me solve this problem:
1.  No more quitting without saving when bad things happen.
2.  No more planning out marriages: wait until the Sim is at least a teen instead and have them go after Sims they're attracted to.
3.  Stop abusing the aspiration awards.
4.  Stop making sloppy sims clean so much, lazy sims excercise so much, playful sims study so much, and mean sims be so nice.
5.  Stop abusing the pause button.
6.  Stop abusing the queue.
7.  Assign aspirations randomly.

Any other suggestions?

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: Is there a micromanagers anonymous?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 12, 00:09:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've recently made my sims take the major in college that they want, not the one that matches their LTW.  Makes for some interesting combinations, and as I have LTW variety will mean that not every single sim will be starting at level 9!
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 12, 00:16:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually their major in college doesn't matter a whole lot when I play because by the time they get to college they have all the skills required to finish any of the majors.  That basically makes their major a moot point because all they have to do to get a 4.0 is fill up the always expanded bar.  (Yes, I totally need some professional help).

Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 12, 00:20:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Spend 10 minutes of every real time hour just letting your sims manage themselves? (Maybe break it into two 5 minutes every 30 minutes if you really have a hard time letting go) 
 I sometimes like to  just set up situations and then set back and let whatever happens, happen. Most of my Sims 'chose' their own partners, they go to parties a lot, mix and mingle, next thing you know little pinks hearts floating everywhere. It's amazing what sims will do on their own sometimes.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 12, 01:36:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Usually, the "Bad thing" that happens is your game freezing and crashing.

2.  No more planning out marriages: wait until the Sim is at least a teen instead and have them go after Sims they're attracted to.
Isn't that essentially the same as planning out marriages? I already KNOW who they're going to be attracted to the moment I see their personality.

Most aspirational awards aren't worth bothering with most of the time anyway.

4.  Stop making sloppy sims clean so much, lazy sims excercise so much, playful sims study so much, and mean sims be so nice.
Lazy sims suck. Taking 3 hours to get anywhere = not cool.

Hey, these things exist for a reason.

I prefer to assign aspiration based on a sim's personality and interests.

Any other suggestions?
Macrotastics is your friend.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 12, 02:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you really want to have some fun and break the habit, try I'm Surrounded by Idiots!.

Also, try free-ranging your toddlers and kids. No forced skilling!
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 12, 02:27:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why don't you just get a life away from the Sims? Run the game. Go read a book or take a shower and see what happens to your sims by the time you get back.

From there, you can use your microskills to fix their messes.

That's another way of solving things, you know.

Go Away
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 12, 02:55:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lately I'm playing a slightly modified version of the Poverty Challenge.  Among the rules are no private school, no college, no businesses except home-based, and you lose points for each job promotion.  It's been surprisingly difficult to remember not to get too many skill points (to limit promotions), and not to work on scholarships for my teens, etc.  OK, I'm still micromanaging some things, but I find I'm leaving them on their own a lot more, too.

Now playing: UNI, NL, OFB, & Pets
Myth
Pinheaded Pissant

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 12, 02:58:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A great micromanagement breaker crated by goosefork at the official BBS.

WARNING:  If you venture outside of that thread wear your eye protection and ear protection.  Under no circumstances will anyone here be held liable for any bleeding from the eyes, ears or any orifice for that matter.  Excessive head banging on keyboard will become noticeable with repeated visits.  Please see Trubble for replacement tools.

Rohina: Motion to Expel Myth from the Senate. Just testing an hypothesis. Nothing to do with the fact that she smells like ass.
Flowerchile: Have you be'd norty again Mythie?
Mythchick: No, I just followed Rohina around a little and now smell like ass.
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 12, 04:23:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I've totally gotta try the I'm Surrounded by Idiots thing.  I thought of so many ways to get my one controllable Sim to get other Sims to do what I want to do without controlling them directly already, but it would still be a definate challenge.

But I actually don't think that allowing my Sims more freewill is the solution to my problem (I'm actually facinated by how Sims act with freewill, so much so that I'm doing This).  I can actually sit on my hands quite happily if I need to.  The trick is for me to somehow temper my micromanaging ways while actually retaining control of the Sims.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 12, 04:33:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sim behavior is essentially sadorandom. How a sim thinks is that it comes up with what it believes to be its most critical motive (it is invariably wrong), and then chooses the action that has the highest "advertisement" value (which is similarly meaningless and has no correlation with actual effectiveness). The action chosen does not necessarily have to be helpful at all. In fact, it is invariably counterproductive, with things like "feed the baby" being believed to be a useful course of action. Once you realize how this works, you'll quickly join me in the conclusion that a sim will basically never choose the correct action since it is incapable of learning from experience.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 12, 05:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is how my neighbourhoods always end-up, which is why I get bored and have to start again.  My new neighbourhood is called Reality and, even though it's hard, I am not giving them the help I gave them before. I'm using various mods that make things much harder and making them work for everything, save up for luxuries, and so on.  Having great fun with it so far!

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 July 12, 05:34:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would love it if some Awesome could make a tool that would in game:

1)randomize personality and or astrological sign

2) randomize skill level and/maybe make one regress in a job like a chance card (if this is possible.. otherwise fergetit).

3)do both

At the CAS screen one can randomally get a sim with random personality points... but you also get random skins (clothes, hair and skin tone).

I realize to get a true random sim would require alot of programming.. but I would be happy with:

12 signs randomally chosen

a choice of 4 personalities (chosen random)

and a choice of 6 skill levels ( or less depending on how much code one needs to write)

and then use the above to do the #3 script to get a random person in game.

I need some way to liven my game up... I want some guesswork to the game... like the chance cards.

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 July 12, 06:39:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chance Cards aren't guesswork. They're a carefully analyzed probability set, the results of which are posted in the War Room. There's no "guesswork" involved: It's strict cost/benefit risk analysis.

Also, BlueSoup has a fat head.

Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 July 12, 09:19:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sim behavior is essentially sadorandom.

That's precisely what I find so facinating about it.

*tries to figure out how to explain, fails

Erm, it's complicated but that's why I like it.

Oh, and mistymage:  Although it's not in-game, I often use this website to add randomness.  It gives you about the closest thing to true random numbers possible.  I've actually gone through some neighborhoods in SimPe using that website to generate random numbers so that I could randomize personalities when the game spits out too many clones.  Better than rolling dice, even.

Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 July 12, 18:06:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

2) randomize skill level and/maybe make one regress in a job like a chance card (if this is possible.. otherwise fergetit).

3)do both

Isn't this what TJ's College Adjuster Plus does?

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=1236.0
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 July 12, 18:56:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just like that too! But recently, w/the help of Inge's School Mod, I've taken to dumping the lot of the hood's kids and teens in one building, filled with autoskilling objects.

Whoever they tend to socialize more with, become their friends. I have them scope out the room to set up their relationships. And I let them skill on whichever obj they gravitate to.

I also have the 'harder grades' hack by syberspunk, so there are more regular As & Bs instead of A+s. And I let romantic relationships break on age-up, so that they're free to date around in college.

They still gain skills and relationships this way, but it's more arbritrary. I think it's a good compromise between micromanagement and spontaneity.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 July 12, 19:35:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, I almost need to join MMA too, though recently I've gotten better at it, and also started pulling out some hacks to make the sims start doing stupid stuff again.  I was also really bad with toddlers and children, but I've lately adopted the philosophy of 'whatever you want, kiddo'.  I just buy all three toddler toys and let the tot pick which one to play with, and if a kid complains about gaining a particular skill, well then he/she just doesn't gain it beyond the 1 level he/she will need for freshman year.  Lazy and don't want to exercise?  Well then, you'll be a fat teen. Smiley

I've also cut back on micromanaging YAs in uni.  I usually let them 'pick' their major now, unless they have a LTW that's better fulfilled by a particular major.  And I'm not sending every one of them off to uni as a Knowledge sim anymore, though I do still try to base their aspiration somewhat on their personality.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
MxxPwr
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 July 12, 20:19:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Therefore, I'm organising my own intervention.  We need to totally mess up my micromanaging ways before I stop having fun with this totally awesome game.  I am hoping to follow these rules from now on, and you guys can propose more if you would like to help me solve this problem:

Any other suggestions?

For #2: If you send you planned couples to College on a regular basis, make a UNI CAS YA as romantic competition for one of the partners in the couple; duplicating them almost completely. Then, kind of let the other Sim decide who they love most. Make it a reward for the UNI CAS YA to pair up with your 'hood Sim. If they do, he/she gets to graduate and move into the 'hood. If they don't, they live forever youthful in college until the next couple comes around.

Of course, the evil version of this is to have the romantic doppleganger take over the other persons life completely if they win. Moving into the other persons house. Taking their family name. Making whohoo with the new family...

Yeah, well, anyway you get picture.

On #7: As opposed to? I just follow real life examples. I have one child take on the aspirations of one of the parents; following in their footsteps if you will, and I have another child take on an opposite aspiration of the parents; the black sheep. This has not gotten boring; yet.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 July 12, 21:07:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On #7: As opposed to? I just follow real life examples. I have one child take on the aspirations of one of the parents; following in their footsteps if you will, and I have another child take on an opposite aspiration of the parents; the black sheep. This has not gotten boring; yet.

Heh -- I like that one.  I'm going to add that to my bag of tricks.  It's particularly handy for twins. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 July 12, 22:44:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to be a micromanager, but it is fun to play challenges that prohibit management to some degree, and that does tend to help break the micromanagement addiction. ISBI is good, also the Asylum mini challenge:
http://simscout.blogsome.com/mini-challenge-asylum/

and the Bachelor challenge:
http://chaucerfansims.blogspot.com/

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2006 July 12, 23:02:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I have a serious problem:  All my Sims are paired off as soon as I know their gender (like, seconds after they're born), get all their toddler skills, get straight A's as kids and teens, have 25+ skill points when they go to college, graduate summa cum laude, marry within hours after graduating, get along nicely if not extremely well with everyone, get to the top of their career, acheive their LTW, always grow up well, and die of old age.  I have not yet achieved total perfection in running businesses, but I'm well on my way.  I do all this without cheats and only download hacks that fix actual problems.

This is a problem?  Sounds like a great deal to me.  If I start a religion to worship you will you run my life too?  :p

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2006 July 13, 02:04:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3)do both

Isn't this what TJ's College Adjuster Plus does?

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=1236.0

D'oh! That's the only hack object I forgot to click on to see what it would do. Thanks!

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 July 13, 05:11:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I start a religion to worship you will you run my life too?  :p

Of course I will!  But it requires you to legally sign everything you own over to me and there will be no refunds if you change your mind.  Oh, and there's a 20 page contract you need to sign that waves all your rights to sue me if anything goes wrong, gives any money you earn to me, and allows me to sign you up for unnecessary surgery without your consent and such.  You know, the standard deal.

sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 July 13, 15:19:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I micromanage until they get permaplat (some before the end of college).  Then I * hope* to let them kill themselves by allowing them to do whatever.  I have noticed though - they just relax in bed unless they get caught in one of the things that they don't seem to know when to quit - the instruments, the poker table, standng there "calling" at that damn myshuno thing for no apparent reason...  They do nothing interesting.  Maxis really needs to add some real personality.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: