More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 23:56:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Lots that simply won't load...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Lots that simply won't load...  (Read 19756 times)
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
Lots that simply won't load...
« on: 2005 October 18, 18:00:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem like this.  I've got two downtown lots that absolutely refuse to load.  The Hub and The Lulu Lounge.  I'm not sure what the problem is.  It will just sit at the loading screen and do nothing.  I first noticed it when I tried to go to them on a date, and ended up having to minimize the game and killing it with Task Manager.  I even try to go into the lots in build mode and the same thing happens.

To those who probably think I'm not waiting long enough, I tried to go into one in build mode last night and went to take a shower while it was loading (and I take long showers).  And when I got back it was STILL loading.

So, lot corruption?  Bad install?  I don't know.  Any ideas?
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
Re: Lots that simply won't load...
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 18, 18:08:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've read several people having problems with the Lulu lounge. It did load for me, but it did seem to take longer the first time (not nearly as long as it was for you).  Is it possible for you to throw it into the lot bin, buldoze the original lot and then throw it back into the neighborhood? That seemed to help some people who were having problems with some of the Maxis lots.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 18, 18:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't actually tried anything yet.  But that's a good idea.  Gonna see if that works right now.
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 18, 18:14:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometime in the past, have you quit the game or had a crash while on an outing or date at those locations?  That might put the lots in a bad state.  You could try overwriting the lots with the originals extracted from the NightLife CD.

---
Torkle
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 18, 18:20:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I did go to one of them on a date and ended up having to quit the game at the loading screen because of this.  But its doing this in both Pleasentview and Strangetown.  Would something like this affect them in all neighborhoods?
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 18, 18:26:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it is affecting things in multiple neighborhoods, then I'd check your game directory (Somewhere around here: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Nightlife\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\D001\Lots) and see if the lot templates got corrupted.  Again, these should be somewhere on the install CD if you want to compare them to the originals.

---
Torkle
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 18, 18:35:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I tried simmiecal's suggestion.  The Lulu Lounge loaded, but the Hub didn't.  Guess I need to hunt down those lot files now.  Would these be on the first or second disk?
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 18, 18:39:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They'll be in the last place you look for them (because you'll stop looking once you've found them, of course).

Sorry - no clue which CD they'd be on.

---
Torkle
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 18, 18:59:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just compared all of the file sizes.  (They're on Disk 2 btw.  Sims2EP_2/compressed.zip/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/D001/Lots)  And they all match up.  I just don't get it...

I've done a lot of work on this neighborhood too.  I'm not going to do something as drastic as a reinstall for two crummy lots.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 18, 19:13:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try to place "The Hub" lot from another downtown area in the lots & housebin you install that works and then place it in the one that does not.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 18, 19:30:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

None of the Hubs in any of my neighborhoods are working.  I'll try making a new custom neighborhood later and see if it works in that.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 18, 23:27:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Add Maple Springs Pool and Spa to the list of lots that won't load...

Gah!  This is frustrating.  If this keeps up a couple of CD's are going to find themselves being used as frisbees.   Angry
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 19, 01:30:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, I thought this was a problem with my computer and not with the game itself, like the new requirements for NL somehow would only let me load 1 or 2 lots at a time (I honestly don't know what I was thinking). I had to package Maple Springs, LuLu Lounge, One-Twenty-Five Cafe, and Sim Center North (can't recall the name exactly) from a separate user account and replace the ones in my neighborhoods. I thought it might have had something to do with a bad recolor since the clean lots would load but I couldn't see any common object between them and turning on the testingcheats didn't occur to me at the time. I haven't had any problems with loading the lots since I packaged and replaced them, though.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 19, 02:13:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi guys,

It's funny because I just ran into the same exact problem with my sister's computer. She could not enter the Hub with hacks installed. I thought that it might be a general problem, but I was able to run the hacks fine in my game on my computer. Which was strange because then I thought it might be one of a few things:

A) her computer's system specs
 - seems implausible because the specs for her computer are much better than mine.
She has a Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz
512 MB of RAM
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce FX 5500 w/ 256MB of video ram

Her processor is much faster than mine (I think mine is only 2.something Ghz), I have the same RAM, but my video card is probably better than hers.

B) her own game/neighborhood may be corrupt
- still possible, especially according to this thread

C) hack(s) conflict/issue
- might be possible, inconclusive

I had my sister test her game by methodically disabling all the hacks with S2PCI and enabling each hack one by one. Upon cursory experimentation it looks like smart-lights2 is causing the issue. I personally cannot, as of yet, confirm this as a definate problem, since last I attempted, it worked fine for me. I was able to enter the Hub fine with all hacks enabled. The hacks in her game are identical to mine, since I pretty much take charge of updating/maintaining the hacks in her game.

The hacks that I currently have enabled are, thus far:
F.F.S. hacks approved by Dr. Boris and J.M. Pescado for NL
hacks approved by twojeffs for NL pre-patch (I haven't tested them post-patch, but they did not seem to cause issues with lots loading)
updated version of JenFlower's Teen Woohoo by jase
hacks approved by Crammyboy for NL
hacks approved by dizzy2
a few miscellaneous hacks from MTS2, simlogical, and possibly other sites that should all be NL-post patch compatible

I haven't tested any of these in game yet, as I haven't had time to play/test. I only checked if these conflicted with lot loading since my sister was experiencing this problem. According to her tests, smart-lights2 seems to prevent the Hub from loading. With this hack disabled and everything else enabled, the Hub and the Lulu Lounge load ok. It seems to take a bit longer than without hacks (1-2 minutes), but at least it loads.

I am instructing my sister to test her game and see if she still gets the problem with smart-lights2 enabled by itself and everything else disabled. I will report back once she lets me know what happens. I'll be heading home again this weekend, so if that is the case, I'll do a bit more troubleshooting and see if there are any conflicts that I am unaware of.

I will also try this repackaging and replacing to see if that solves the issue. Please let me know if, in your games, you are using smart-lights2, and if removing/disabling this hack solves your problem. I don't want to definately say it is the cause, since it is not happening in my game, so I cannot completely confirm that there is an issue with it, especially since dizzy's hacks all seem to work so wonderfully for my game in the past.  Huh I can't imagine why it would work on my computer and not my sister's. There might be some conflict that I am overlooking, but I am fairly certain that I synced our downloads folders so that they match exactly.

It could very well be an issue with her specific game/neighborhood. On my own computer, I pretty much nuked my old game and I plan to eventually start over from scratch, so my neighborhoods are currently new and essentially a "fresh" install.

Anyways, I'll be checking up on this thread and I'll keep you guys posted if I find anything more definitive.

Ste

gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 19, 02:33:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please let me know if, in your games, you are using smart-lights2, and if removing/disabling this hack solves your problem.

I don't have that hack, when I was having issues my hack folder was sitting on my desktop which is what led me to believe it was a bad recolor somewhere. For what it's worth, ever since I replaced the problematic lots with "clean" copies I haven't had any further problems with any of the lots.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 19, 02:41:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

W/ university, I had the same problem w/ lots that wouldn't load. It turned out to be an object file that wasn't even on the lot - the lot was a clean Maxis one. Maybe this is the same problem? If you try loading a clean game, and it works, that might be what it is.

In my case, the obj was called vssofamod from vitasims...I haven't downloaded an object from there since.  Undecided
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 19, 11:51:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have had problems on a couple of occasions with lots being hung while loading.  The Hub was one of them and I deleted the pool lights.  They were conflicting with the more important smart-lights2.

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
Xiomberg
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 19, 12:07:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have had problems on a couple of occasions with lots being hung while loading.  The Hub was one of them and I deleted the pool lights.  They were conflicting with the more important smart-lights2.

I get this problem with downtown lots as well. Loading with the debug cheat on shows a problem with the pool lights which is connected to Dizzy2's smart-lights, his updated smart-lights2 is ok.
The first version causes the pool light problem so you have to load up each lot with debug on, delete pool lights and save.
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 October 19, 12:18:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The first version causes the pool light problem so you have to load up each lot with debug on, delete pool lights and save.

The problem with smart-lights/smart-lights2 and the pool lights is not limited to only the first version.

Otherwise, I would not have had a problem going to The Hub with smart-lights2.  I opened The Hub for the first time yesterday and encountered the problem.  I have had smart-lights2 installed for a couple weeks now, and never had smart-lights installed with NL or the NL patch.

Unless Maxis had smart-lights installed when the created The Hub in the first place, that is...

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
Xiomberg
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 October 19, 13:32:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with smart-lights/smart-lights2 and the pool lights is not limited to only the first version.

Otherwise, I would not have had a problem going to The Hub with smart-lights2.  I opened The Hub for the first time yesterday and encountered the problem.  I have had smart-lights2 installed for a couple weeks now, and never had smart-lights installed with NL or the NL patch.

Unless Maxis had smart-lights installed when the created The Hub in the first place, that is...

Mmm.. Back to the drawing board. Maybe another hack?, will do some testing tonight and see if I can find the culprit.
AllenABQ
Feckless Fool

Contemplator of Fuzzy Things

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 October 19, 16:43:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem like this.  I've got two downtown lots that absolutely refuse to load.  The Hub and The Lulu Lounge.  I'm not sure what the problem is.  It will just sit at the loading screen and do nothing.  I first noticed it when I tried to go to them on a date, and ended up having to minimize the game and killing it with Task Manager.  I even try to go into the lots in build mode and the same thing happens.

To those who probably think I'm not waiting long enough, I tried to go into one in build mode last night and went to take a shower while it was loading (and I take long showers).  And when I got back it was STILL loading.

So, lot corruption?  Bad install?  I don't know.  Any ideas?

I had this exact problem with the Goth House after installing Nightlife.

I fixed the problem by moving the family out and back in again.  To me this seemed to indicate that post-NL install, something was corrupted about the objects in the house although I have no direct proof of this.  Also, that lot wasn't a commercial one obviously.

Have you tried checking your game error logs to see if there is an object conflict coming up?

Check the "House of Fallen Trees" thread here on forums for more info.

Briefly, I also had the HSFT lot crashing on me, and these were caused by downloaded objects conflicting with Maxis made ones although this problem didn't seem to exist prior to installing Nighlife.  The resolution was to check the log file and removing the conflicting objects from the Downloads folder.  I'd be curious to know if this is/isn't a symptom of the same problem.
Marvelleaux
Puppy Fucker
Blathering Buffoon

"free-thinking cat shits outside the box"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 October 19, 17:15:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same problem here both with The Hub, LuLu lounge & the large victorian residential lot in Downtown with the dead trees and vampire basement.

Grr.

Odi profanum vulgaris
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 October 19, 19:04:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's definitely a problem with the pool lights, I've attached the error log in case anyone can make sense of it. It only happens when I put my hacks folder in, I just have to figure out which one it is.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 October 19, 19:14:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wasn't there some issue with Pescado's Community Lights on hack? You could try taking that one out.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 October 19, 19:18:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Briefly, I also had the HSFT lot crashing on me, and these were caused by downloaded objects conflicting with Maxis made ones although this problem didn't seem to exist prior to installing Nighlife.  The resolution was to check the log file and removing the conflicting objects from the Downloads folder.  I'd be curious to know if this is/isn't a symptom of the same problem.

I also had a problem with a house crashing on me everytime I tried to go in. I tried looking into the log folder, but there were dozens of logs in my log folder, and I wasn't sure which log I should be looking in. I told the comp. to arrange the logs by date modified, but even then, there were a whole bunch of logs that were modified at the same time.

So...which log should I be looking in?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: