More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 08:34:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How Do You Change the Description & Price of Objects in SimPE?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How Do You Change the Description & Price of Objects in SimPE?  (Read 22993 times)
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: How Do You Change the Description & Price of Objects in SimPE?
« Reply #25 on: 2005 December 15, 17:43:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aww, thanks Gaby.  Smiley  I think you're right about the artist career for Hegelian.  I'll do that as well.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 December 15, 18:08:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These replace the paintings the sims paint in the game; you need saramkirk's default-painting replacement hack for these to work:

Actually, it's the opposite, people only need YOUR files, since you can only have one replacement file for each picture. Smiley

Hey, I completely forgot I did those. Shows how much I visit MTS2 lately... If anyone needs help with them, let me know.

Fail.
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 December 15, 18:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These replace the paintings the sims paint in the game; you need saramkirk's default-painting replacement hack for these to work:

Actually, it's the opposite, people only need YOUR files, since you can only have one replacement file for each picture. Smiley

Hey, I completely forgot I did those. Shows how much I visit MTS2 lately... If anyone needs help with them, let me know.

Lol—it's been a long time since I did mine too, and I forgot that what you offered were templates and instructions, and not an actual hack. Thanks for the correction. And thanks for the instructions too—the replacements look great in the game, even if there is a Dylan poster in every room.   Grin

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 December 15, 18:31:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, did you know there's a Sim-site devoted almost entirely to paintings?  It's www.casa-darte.de, and it's one of my favourite sites out there.

I use her walls and floors all the time. I struggle with them sometimes because my sense of interior design is not strong, and her aesthetic is not mine, so it's often not apparent to me how to use the surfaces in combination, especially when there's more than one version of a floor tile (for making patterns). Nonetheless, I really like what she's done and use it a lot. I sent a house to Simmiecal for the neighborhood that uses her walls and floors, and glass walls and doors from ModernSimObjects. I don't know that it will end up in the neighborhood though.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 December 15, 18:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Consider yourself to be on the receiving end of a great big hug. I didn't even know you could replace those awful paintings in the game. I got everything, your wall-paper (I got both sizes, because I'm not too sure which one I need Cheesy), your recolors that are very nice, and the replacements. Now let's see if I can do what Saramkirk tells me to do in SimPe.

Aww . . .  Smiley

Did you see the reading list I left for you over at Laverwinklesims?   Wink

windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 December 15, 23:41:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for wanting to be me:  well, I think you probably don't. For one thing, I grew up in south Jersey myself so you wouldn't be gaining anything there. And I'm older than you.   Tongue

First of all, I am so tackling this thread this weekend.  It's either that or Christmas shopping (or laundry) and I know which one I'm going to pick.

Now, on to South Jersey.

get out! (apparently you did  Grin  )

I'm actually a Philly girl but have lived in South Jersey for nearly nine years now, so am in danger of being a Jersey Girl.  Not a bad thing if you love the Boss, just a transition from growing up Across the Bridge.

Moorestown/Cinnaminson/Riverton/Palymra area, you?

(I figure that is vague enough to stymie cyber stalkers if nobody knows my full name, not that I've had a ton of them.)

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 December 16, 02:24:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now, on to South Jersey.
get out! (apparently you did  Grin  )

Yeah, as soon as I went away to college, although it was only as far as U of Del at first (I later transferred to Antioch in Ohio, and spent a winter in Phoenix trying, unsuccessfully, to quit school). I did end up back there a couple times when I was in my early 20s, and I had a job in Moorestown. BTW, in the category of what-I-know-now-that-I-didn't-know-then (but what my best friend, who now lives in Austin, apparently did know), is that my life would have been infinitely improved if my parents had been able to send me to Moorestown Friends instead of a public HS. In any case, I was out for good by '84.

I'm actually a Philly girl but have lived in South Jersey for nearly nine years now, so am in danger of being a Jersey Girl.  Not a bad thing if you love the Boss, just a transition from growing up Across the Bridge.

Although some of the gigs that helped establish The Boss were at the Stone Balloon in Newark, DE, and Michael Tearson at WMMR broke him on the radio, the whole Asbury Park thing has more affinity with NYC than with Philly. Tom Waits's Jersey Girl is definitely a Girl of the North (Country)—the river he's going to cross is the Hudson.   Smiley  OTOH, for  a while I had a girlfriend right out of "Thunder Road"; she lived down by the river in Paulsboro. And, uh, she was married (but separated!) and living on AFDC. Anyway, you might enjoy this article:  http://www.citypaper.net/articles/112698/coverstory.shtml This is what I grew up with.  Grin

Moorestown/Cinnaminson/Riverton/Palymra area, you?

Medford. When it was a farming village. My family wouldn't be able to afford to live there today, now that it's become a trendy spot for yuppies fleeing the city. What is now the tea house was the home of one of my high school friends. Braddock's Tavern was a dive—respectable people didn't go in.

But later I worked in Philly for a couple years, on N. 9th near the intersection of Erie and Rising Sun until we relocated to Whitaker between Hunting Park and Wyoming. The 9th St. neighborhood was nasty, the sort of place where people would get shot while standing on their porch in the middle of the afternoon. For a year I lived near Penn, at 42nd & Pine. For a while when my car wasn't running, I took the subway-surface car from the subway portal on Baltimore Ave. to 30th St., then the Market St. subway/Frankford El to the Erie-Torresdale stop, and then another trolley to Erie and Whitaker,and then walked ten minutes. In the winter. I had to be at work at 7 am. It was a drag. It was the winter of Solidarity in Poland, so at least I had something to read about on the train.

Hey—I went to Phillies games at Connie Mack Stadium! Too bad they had to tear it down—it was way better than Fenway.  Wink

windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 December 16, 06:07:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did end up back there a couple times when I was in my early 20s, and I had a job in Moorestown. BTW, in the category of what-I-know-now-that-I-didn't-know-then (but what my best friend, who now lives in Austin, apparently did know), is that my life would have been infinitely improved if my parents had been able to send me to Moorestown Friends instead of a public HS.

*jawdrop*

We're doing the internal debate right now on Moorestown Friends for the 11 year old.  I'd have to sell a kidney on eBay to pull it off but public school thinking is not working out for that one.  (After you sell a kidney for the first year, I wonder what other internal organs come in duplicate for $$$ in subsquent years?)

Appreciate your perspective.  I'll be sure to tell the hubby that a guy I met on a Sims 2 message board says Moorestown Friends would have changed his life.  The only thing the husband loves more than my bringing the Sims into a conversation is when I quote people I met online to prove my point in a discussion.

stablish The Boss were at the Stone Balloon in Newark, DE, and Michael Tearson at WMMR broke him on the radio, the whole Asbury Park thing has more affinity with NYC than with Philly. Tom Waits's Jersey Girl is definitely a Girl of the North (Country)—the river he's going to cross is the Hudson.   Smiley  OTOH, for  a while I had a girlfriend right out of "Thunder Road"; she lived down by the river in Paulsboro. And, uh, she was married (but separated!) and living on AFDC.

Grin.  I see I can't get away with the Jersey Girl joke with a man who understands the North/South, NYC/Philly divide.  Works with almost everyone else.  Grin  Yes, Jersey Girls aren't in the South (although South Philly girls are nearly the same animal, but I'm not one of those either).

I will beg to differ about any true claim to the Boss and Asbury Park going to NYC and the North, though.  Philly was so close behind, it doesn't even count from the wide angle lens view of looking back on history.  Personally, I didn't tune in until the Born to Run tour hit the Spectrum, but I was 13 (14?) and can be forgiven for not hanging out at the Stone Pony prior.  (That Bruce is not a South Jersey boy and doesn't write about South Jersey, that I acknowledge, of course, because I can't get away with that with you.  I will still stubbornly insist on claiming him with everybody else I meet, however.  NYC can have Billy Joel, I'm keeping the Boss.)

Anyway, you might enjoy this article:  http://www.citypaper.net/articles/112698/coverstory.shtml This is what I grew up with.  Grin

Husband and I are still mourning Sciaky.   Undecided

Medford. When it was a farming village. My family wouldn't be able to afford to live there today, now that it's become a trendy spot for yuppies fleeing the city. What is now the tea house was the home of one of my high school friends. Braddock's Tavern was a dive—respectable people didn't go in.

Got married (2nd wedding) a few years back at Braddocks.  I'll send you a PDF of the bill for a 40 person dinner reception if you have any lingering doubts about the "dive" part.  Wink 

And yes, affording to live in Medford is not easily done nowadays.  Better than Moorestown though (which is not where I live, so there goes one town on my list).  Keeping up with those pesky Joneses, if you live in Moorestown, gets worse every year.  If I could afford the house, I couldn't afford the $100,000 landscaping and the $$ cars that have to go in the driveway (with pavers, of course).

I like the 'burbs that surround Moorestown much better (if one has to do 'burbs).  Our town is nice, but lacks the Joneses competition thankyouverymuch.  (There's a Starbucks on Main Street now, right near Peter Pan and the Happy Hippo, sigh.)

I work in Moorestown, which could be a funny story in itself.  We built, and dealing with Moorestown planning board was a zillion laughs.  Everywhere else in Jersey, people want to give you tax breaks for bringing jobs...no, Moorestown, they don't actually want commercial property (even tho already zoned "forever").  Environmental impact statements weren't enough (er, we have a building with people who work on computers, not toxic waste), we finally had to promise to paint the building green to "blend in with the trees" to satisfy some old codger on the board.  (Our property is NOT on Main Street, for pete's sake).  Planning board had us tied up for a year in meetings, hoping I think we'd just go away rather than build.

Hey—I went to Phillies games at Connie Mack Stadium! Too bad they had to tear it down—it was way better than Fenway.  Wink

I never did Connie Mack, wish I had.  The new park is enjoyable, although it's not as good as Baltimore.  I thought I'd miss Veteran's more than I do....there really wasn't anything to miss, other than whatever memories you made there yourself.

Well, this was fun.   I imagine that loud sound I hear is the rest of the world snoring through my thread derail here.

Back to Sims art and repricing objects!!

yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 December 16, 19:19:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A big thank you to Hegelian and windy_moon!!  For 30 years I've thought it strange that my husband always called Poulsbo Paulsboro; but I never asked him why.  He is one of those that says Jersey is a great place to be from.  He lived in Fort Lee and Sayerville and worked all over South Jersey.
I guess I'm glad that he moved to Washington all those years ago.
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 December 16, 22:38:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A big thank you to Hegelian and windy_moon!!  For 30 years I've thought it strange that my husband always called Poulsbo Paulsboro; but I never asked him why.  He is one of those that says Jersey is a great place to be from.  He lived in Fort Lee and Sayerville and worked all over South Jersey.

At first, I misread what you'd written, thinking that you were saying your huband had an odd pronunciation of Paulsboro; but now I see there's a Poulsbo near Seattle. Paulsboro in NJ is a small refinery town on the Delaware, directly across the river from the Philadelphia airport.

Since Ft. Lee and Sayresville are both within spitting distance of NYC, if your husband was raised in that area and has a regional accent, it's probably the standard North Jersey accent which is heavily influenced by NYC speech patterns; think Joe Piscopo or Lou Reed; or the former governor and 9/11 Commission co-chair, Tom Kean.

In the south the influence is Philadelphia, which is a whole different thing. I can't think of many celebrities from Philly who still have a Philly accent (at least not in public); the only one who comes to mind offhand is the comedian David Brenner, who has a fairly classic Philly accent.

The Philly accent is characterized by several distinctive features. Perhaps the most obvious is called the "glottal stop", which means that some sounds which are normally pronounced in the front of the mouth are produced in the throat instead. The classic example is the letter "t":  instead of pronouncing it with the tongue, the speaker uses a "stop" in the throat which is almost like a cough. It's difficult to explain but obvious when you hear it. For example, when pronouncing "basketball," the the "t" is not sounded with the tongue, in fact it's really not pronounced at all, but is indicated with a throat sound before the "b" in "ball" is pronounced.

There are other inflections that are nearly impossible to describe in writing, such as the odd nasal sound and flat inflection in the most pronounced accents, in which a lot of words are pronounced in the front of the mouth (the glottal stop notwithstanding). Then there is the swallowed "L", one of the few overtly Philly characteristics in my own speech; in this case certain "L" sounds are pronounced as something close to "w":  the baseball team is the "Phiwadewlphia Phiwies." There are also some peculiar pronunciations:  The football team is the Iggles; what comes out of the faucet is "wooder." And of course, in summer everyone goes "down the shore" (to the beach).

The "L"thing can be a real problem; there are three or four words I have great difficulty pronouncing properly, although I can't think of them at the moment (figures!); one is a woman's name. Ah! "Peculiarity" is a word I can barely get out in a recognizable form.   Smiley

I guess UHF TV as a distinct cultural entity is a thing of the past, but in the "old days" UHF in Philly was absolutely awash in the Philly accent. There was "the bawsez dawter for A'-lan'-ic transmissions," and "Jerry Green's Mirrow World."

Many years ago, Philadelphia Magazine published a terrific article on how to speak Philadelphian, but I'm not finding it on the Web. But go here and listen to Tony Luke and Charlie Neill. However, the guy who wrote that article has a new one here. And let me just say I didn't find it until after I had written all the above—honest!

yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 December 17, 06:56:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was a great article!  Yes, I read the whole thing, and there were quite a few things that applied to hubby's speech back in the day.  Now that he's been in Washington longer than Jersey, he almost sounds like a native.  There are still a few quirks, especially when he is mad.  Most noticibly when he asks for soda, I bring him the box of Arm & Hammer not the can of pop he is after.  But I also think it is called soda in most of the country.  I've only ever lived here.
Hegelian
Undead Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005 December 17, 20:00:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never did Connie Mack, wish I had.  The new park is enjoyable, although it's not as good as Baltimore.  I thought I'd miss Veteran's more than I do....there really wasn't anything to miss, other than whatever memories you made there yourself.

Hmm . . . you mean like going to a Giants-Eagles playoff game in a freezing drizzle, and watching the cops beat the crap out of a fan in the field-level boxes after he'd pushed one of them over the wall?

I've been to Camden Yards too, right after it opened. I thought it was very nice, although it's a drag that the ground-level seats facing the outfield aren't angled toward the infield. Modern construction techniques make these new old-style parks superior to the originals in almost every way—no sight-line-blocking pillars, modern plumbing—but of old parks, Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium was probably one of the best. Unlike Fenway, for example, it used state-of-the-art engineering techniques (for its day), and was more vertical than Fenway, so you were closer and had a better view. It was also essentially symmetrical. Fenway, built on a piece of ground too small for a baseball stadium, was obsolete the day it opened in 1912, three years after Shibe.

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/shibep.htm

windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 December 18, 08:34:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm . . . you mean like going to a Giants-Eagles playoff game in a freezing drizzle, and watching the cops beat the crap out of a fan in the field-level boxes after he'd pushed one of them over the wall?

Sigh.  Yeah, and there was that pesky snowball/Santa episode.

The behavior pattern of Philadelphia Eagles fans is part reality and part myth, perpetuated (IMHO) because the stories sound so good on retelling (and retelling, and retelling). 

Married to one, with season tickets in the family since 1967.  They aren't quite the beasts as portrayed Cheesy , although it would be silly for a Dallas fan to dress himself in full 'boys gear and sit near my husband & friends unaccompanied. 

I've been to Camden Yards too, right after it opened. I thought it was very nice, although it's a drag that the ground-level seats facing the outfield aren't angled toward the infield. Modern construction techniques make these new old-style parks superior to the originals in almost every way—no sight-line-blocking pillars, modern plumbing—but of old parks, Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium was probably one of the best. Unlike Fenway, for example, it used state-of-the-art engineering techniques (for its day), and was more vertical than Fenway, so you were closer and had a better view. It was also essentially symmetrical. Fenway, built on a piece of ground too small for a baseball stadium, was obsolete the day it opened in 1912, three years after Shibe.

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/shibep.htm

I can't believe we spent an entire era with baseball being played in big, round bowl stadiums like the Vet.  What a disgrace, it's not really the same game.   I didn't "get" that until I started going to games at Camden Yards...before that I'd only ever been to the Vet.

Hockey is my first love (Philly girl! ), but baseball is right after that.  Of course, as you start getting rid of all of the horrid structures, steroid scandal comes along and you wonder what "game" it is we are paying to see.  I should probably stick to hockey.  (Not that a real person can afford to go to a game anymore.)

eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005 December 18, 10:56:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most noticibly when he asks for soda, I bring him the box of Arm & Hammer not the can of pop he is after.  But I also think it is called soda in most of the country.  I've only ever lived here.

Yeah, "pop" is some weird northern aberration. In Texas, if you said you wanted a can of pop, we'd all just be confused. Of course, in Texas, if you say you want a coke, you'll be asked "what kind?" because "coke" is our catch-all term for sodas (other than "soda," which is understood, but rarely used). If you're after a Coca-Cola, you've got to repeat that you want a coke, after which your waiter will probably stare at you in confusion and ask if a Dr Pepper is okay. (Alright, so most chains have coke and DP, but quite a few smaller restaurants and such only have DP.)

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005 December 18, 21:27:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is weird, most places here (in my little town, anyway) don't have Dr. Pepper, and that is my favorite.  A lot of the stores with reader boards advertise "soda pop" to cover all bases I guess.
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005 December 18, 21:58:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is weird, most places here (in my little town, anyway) don't have Dr. Pepper, and that is my favorite.  A lot of the stores with reader boards advertise "soda pop" to cover all bases I guess.

Well, Dr Pepper comes from Texas, so we're pretty much drowning in it. I don't know if you've ever had Dublin Dr Pepper, but if you haven't, you should, because it's the best. You've got to order it online, and it's slightly more expensive than regular Dr Pepper, but it's totally worth it. Although, once you've had Dublin Dr Pepper, the normal stuff will taste really fake.
« Last Edit: 2005 December 19, 10:13:35 by eaglezero » Logged

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 December 19, 01:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer the diet version, so the normal stuff tastes fake already.  I will check out the link, thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: