More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 03:01:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Downtownies as customers / Moving lots to subhood
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Downtownies as customers / Moving lots to subhood  (Read 8479 times)
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
Downtownies as customers / Moving lots to subhood
« on: 2008 July 28, 10:40:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed that downtownies never seem to visit my home business lots in the main 'hood, which is normal, I guess. But what about home businesses located in a downtown subhood? Will downtownies shop there?

If so, can I move a home business from the main 'hood to downtown? IIRC, it's no problem to move occupied lots within the same neighborhood (never tried it, though), but businesses are yet another category, so I thought I'd better ask before I blow up my game.

And what about graveyards? Can I move them to a subhood without the risk of losing tombstones?

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Downtownies as customers / Moving lots to subhood
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 28, 10:43:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed that downtownies never seem to visit my home business lots in the main 'hood, which is normal, I guess. But what about home businesses located in a downtown subhood? Will downtownies shop there?
Downtownies will only appear at downtown hoods. To make downtownies appear at other businesses, use the Customer Selector to fine-tune the results.

If so, can I move a home business from the main 'hood to downtown? IIRC, it's no problem to move occupied lots within the same neighborhood (never tried it, though), but businesses are yet another category, so I thought I'd better ask before I blow up my game.
Home businesses cannot be moved. Period. And NEVER move an occupied lot ANYWHERE. NEVER place an inhabited lot into the simbin.

And what about graveyards? Can I move them to a subhood without the risk of losing tombstones?
I doubt it. Move the tombstones first.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 28, 11:06:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Downtownies will only appear at downtown hoods. To make downtownies appear at other businesses, use the Customer Selector to fine-tune the results.

So the Customer Selector can/will force downtownies to show up in places they wouldn't visit otherwise?

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Surelyfunke
Bearded Bigamist
Querulous Quidnunc

Beard is yours for $2.50 at Rose Sims!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 28, 11:14:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So the Customer Selector can/will force downtownies to show up in places they wouldn't visit otherwise?

Yes. Just select "OR" when the option pops up.

Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 28, 11:31:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes. Just select "OR" when the option pops up.

Yay, so I don't need to change anything in my hood setup after all, just buy Customer Selectors for my home businesses. I wished everything could be solved so easily. Thanks for clarifying!

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 28, 14:49:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Home businesses cannot be moved. Period. And NEVER move an occupied lot ANYWHERE. NEVER place an inhabited lot into the simbin.
Selling it back to the community, binning, and moving should work, shouldn't it? You'd lose your stars, but that can be a good thing.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 28, 16:32:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Undecided uhm it's quiet strange to me because whenever I start a home business at home even in the main hood , sims keep coming to my place and start to check things out .

[edited to be more in context after reading the thread again]
If visiting sims are not able to buy something when you indicate your home business is open, they will use whatever facilities are available (hot tub and TV are favourites).  The game does not divide the lot into a business section and a private section.  To limit this, use lockable doors and gates and set them to allow only the household sims.

Also, get the customer selector (to select the customers you want) and noplayableshoppers to make sure your other families are not spending all their money on useless robots, flowers, toys, or whatever.
« Last Edit: 2008 July 28, 17:11:56 by jolrei » Logged

Tribulatio proxima est
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 28, 17:01:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Undecided uhm it's quiet strange to me because whenever I start a home business at home even in the main hood , sims keep coming to my place and start to check things out .

I think you misunderstood - I want to make downtownies show up at a home business in the main hood, not "regular" townies or playables. On the contrary, having playables shop there would be a bad idea because the goods are ridiculously overpriced, and townies are non-existing in this hood, because they're all either playable or dead by now.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 28, 17:47:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I misunderstood as well. For some reason I thought it was a community lot biz. You could still use stay-things shrub to keep everything there, move out the family, move the lot, and then move the family back in. You'd restart the biz and lose your stars/level, but could regain them.

Easier, though, is to get the customer selector and mess with the settings. I don't have a downtown, but I know there are options to get locals and nonlocals and all types of sims to come. Just be sure to enable playables if you want them as customers, since Pescado denies them by default. This is fine for my founder's lot, since it supposedly started when a tourist decided to stay there and sell veggies to other tourists, but for my hair stylist and whore, I want all possible sims using their services.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 28, 17:56:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Customer selector is the single most useful Awesome business hack for me. (I don't use BRY much, because I tend to run businesses entirely staffed by family members.) Without it, businesses will never hit the level 10, as all existing townies already maxed out their loyalty stars. With customer selector installed, each EP brings fresh influx of customers like Tourists or Vacation locals, in addition to all YAs and downtownies. I ban NPCs, because they don't seem to spend any money.

notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 28, 18:12:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ban NPCs, because they don't seem to spend any money.

That's because the NPC family started out with $20,000, and that depletes rather quickly into your business-running career. I used to dump a million on them with the Money Order. Pescado suggested using "familyfunds NPC 1000000", which worked as well.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 July 28, 19:15:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I misunderstood as well. For some reason I thought it was a community lot biz. You could still use stay-things shrub to keep everything there, move out the family, move the lot, and then move the family back in. You'd restart the biz and lose your stars/level, but could regain them.

Easier, though, is to get the customer selector and mess with the settings. I don't have a downtown, but I know there are options to get locals and nonlocals and all types of sims to come. Just be sure to enable playables if you want them as customers, since Pescado denies them by default. This is fine for my founder's lot, since it supposedly started when a tourist decided to stay there and sell veggies to other tourists, but for my hair stylist and whore, I want all possible sims using their services.

Actually, I don't want to move the business at all, I just thought I had no choice if I wanted downtownie customers. I'm really relieved that it can be done with the Customer Selector. Said lot is part of my Victorian hood, and the family just belongs there. They're dirt poor like the rest of the citizens, they have no business in the wealthier suburbs (aka downtown). They're lucky that they're allowed to run a home business. Most of the others have to work for the local business tycoon.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 July 28, 20:25:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's because the NPC family started out with $20,000, and that depletes rather quickly into your business-running career. I used to dump a million on them with the Money Order. Pescado suggested using "familyfunds NPC 1000000", which worked as well.
I either use BRY to kick them off the lot ("Begone, looky-loo!") or if I have a grumpy sim on the lot I'll have them pick a fight with them. I'd get negative stars from the browser, anyways, so I might as well get them while having fun about it.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2008 July 29, 00:35:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know that NPC family comes with the fixed amount of family funds, unlike other type of townies. Thanks, I can always use fresh meat to suck the blood from new clientele.

Iridium
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 July 29, 01:12:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does that apply to just moving them around? F'rinstance, if I wanted to plop the Broke trailer across the street from the Goth mansion to piss Mortimer* off, that would be a VBT?

*I doubt he'd care, but one can dream.

Juu nin, tou iro.
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 July 29, 02:27:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does that apply to just moving them around? F'rinstance, if I wanted to plop the Broke trailer across the street from the Goth mansion to piss Mortimer* off, that would be a VBT?

*I doubt he'd care, but one can dream.

As long as you don't bin it while it's occupied by sims, you're fine. Fortunately, to move the Broke trailer across the street from the Goths only requires for you to make sure there's room for it, pick it up using the 'move lot' tool, and put it in the new place. No binning required; therefore, not a VBT.

And you're right: Mortimer will neither notice nor care. Cheesy  I suppose you could have Brandi or one of the kids look through the telescope to piss him off, though.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 July 29, 05:55:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Broke lot is strange though, you can only place it where there is a 'corner' in the road, like where it is originally placed.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 July 29, 06:01:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know that NPC family comes with the fixed amount of family funds, unlike other type of townies. Thanks, I can always use fresh meat to suck the blood from new clientele.
NPCs make really shit customers, though. If you're using the customer selector, it is suggested that you set them to NOT instead, as NPCs show up permanently crabby and pissed off and frequently reject sales socials because they motive-lock themselves to near-permanently pissed off levels on arrival.

Lots can be picked up and moved within the same neighborhood freely without any apparent harm. The sims don't even notice this has happened. Much. If you use "localwalkby", the composition of walkbys will be altered based on the actual physical placement of the lots within the neighborhood, and if you use "wolfwatchers", the appearance of wolves is similarly affected by whether or not you drop the lot in the middle of a crowded residential neighborhood or the outskirts of nowhere. But STOCK EAxis code pays no attention to any of these things.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 July 29, 13:16:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Broke lot is strange though, you can only place it where there is a 'corner' in the road, like where it is originally placed.

Oh, yeah! But the Goth lot is on a road that has two intersections nearby, I think. So it should still be doable.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: